Forced into a curb and off the road

rabster

Ok so i was out in the 350z on saturday and got forced off the road by a woman in a skoda (always said skoda drivers were c*ck's) anyway i was on a roadabout turning left and in the left lane indicating there is no where else for me to go unless i intend on going al the way around the roaund about which would cut people up.

so as i come into the junction this skoda is on my right and at my rear quarter she decides she wants this exit to and make the turn into the junction, as a result i either let her slide down the side of my car or turn towards the kerb well you can guess which i chose so i now have this damage to my car

c90152a9.jpg

7e12b7b3.jpg

50fe4e7b.jpg

c447dc99.jpg

f70f9c9e.jpg

Anyway i tried to get her to pull over by playing nice i flashed the lights pointed at lay-bys etc but she refused so i pulled over to look at the damage saw how bad it was andd decided i was going to chase to get her insurance details as i dont really wanna pay for damage that is down to someone else poor driving (skoda) so followed her till i had a stretch of road where i could get her to pull over by ANY MEANS which resulted in parking in the middle of the road

she claimed she didnt know who she was insured with as her husband deals with it she also didnt seem to know her home number so i will be going to the police station in the morning i think and take her to court for dangerous driving and driving with out due care and attention

this is where the incident occurred

CO6 1LJ

Untitled-7.jpg

i was coming off the roundabout onto coggeshall road was maybe 50 yards around the corner when she forced me off she claims i was undertaking her.....

what are you views looking at the map

should i be pursuing her and take her to the cleaners ?

:Fish:

ok so i visited the police station on sunday and reported her gave all the details i know the police cant say i was in the right or the wrong but the woman on reception who knows that road very well said seems like it was fairly straight forward what had happened and you cant undertake on a roundabout. so she had to have been in the wrong lane.

i am now waiting for the traffic police to call me to talk about this

the car is going in today to have the wheels looked at and refurbishment but the question is now what do i do, i like the wheels in the shadow chrome but been told that may take longer and cost a bit more do i pay the extra to get the wheels back to how they should be well at least close to it or do i go for just a darker silver on them ?

Simply put, unless you have CCTV footage of the incident in the area you have got no chance of claiming anything back. You'll be laughed outta the police station.

If the only damage you have is to the wheels, then it'll cost £50-70 a corner to get a full refurb.

Take the hit and get it done and save yourself the embarassement.

i have witnesses and there is CCTV on the junction as part of the building near by

as much as i would normally take a hit on something like this i have made it very clear i want to take her to court she failed to stop despite causing the accident, when i did get her to eventually stop she refused to give details and claimed i was in the wrong she did not indicate at any junctions didnt know who she was insured with or her home address when asked so all seemed to funny to me

so im happy to pursue her to court over this people need to learn actions have consequence's

Absolutely pointless pursuing this so save your energy and simply buy a refurbed GT4 wheel from me in shadow chrome.

I have both refurbed and brand new GT4 wheels in stock and good to go same/next day.

Alex :)

You will almost certainly not get anywhere near court, she will claim she didnt realise there was an accident at all, and any insurane claim will almost certainly go 50/50 meaning you lose your NCB over £150 of wheel refurbs .........

so im happy to pursue her to court over this people need to learn actions have consequence's

Do you think she did it deliberately? Because if you dont, I very much doubt anyone else will. Its an accident, they happen.

Alex - I know you are here to make money but wouldnt it be better idea for him to see if he can get it refurbed before banging out on a new wheel??

well her 1st comment when i stopped her was "You undertook her on the roundabout so it was your fault"

so yeah i think it was deliberate i may not get anywhere with the police but if anything it will give her a kick up the backside to actually use mirror indicators and have some common sense

Alex how much is a wheel from you

I'd use this oppertunity to buy a new set of wheels, but that's me I guess.

I know that road too (off the A12 going to A120 towards Stansted, right?), so many people there place thier vehicle wrongly for the exits on that part.

Just take it on the chin and forget about it. it's only a scuffed wheel. not like she made you hit the curb and flip the car over.

Did you not have the option to step on the brakes and let her go rather than cutting you off?

Let me get this right.

You are 2 abreast at the junction of the roundabout. You both enter the roundabout. You want to turn left off the first junction and so does she?

Avoidance, there's no need you are in the correct lane and had she hit you which hopefully she wouldn't have done, she would be in the wrong.

Holding your lane and exit path she would still had to negotiate your right of way. From the description you've posted it sounds like you've taken unnecessary action to avoid her?

If for instance you are in the near side lane and wanted exit 2, and she wanted exit 1 then I can understand the avoidance tactic she was clearly in the wrong lane for the exit and tried to cut you up.

I had the same issue on Chiswick roundabout years ago.

I was in lane 1 for exit 2, the chap in lane 2 wanted exit 1. He realised he was in the wrong lane and tried to power past me and cut me up but actually swiped my front right wing.

:rant::rant::angry::angry::angry:

Feel for ya Rabster I know from your IS200 you like to keep you cars in tip top condition.

Stupid bloody women, Id be surprised if shes insured???

Surely she will have to be questioned about leaving the scene of an accident and that will go against her in the insurance claim??

Is your NCB protected?

Sort it out yourself and don't bother chasing her for anything as it'll only go down on your insurance record, and as such you'll end up paying more next time your renewal is due. Really not worth the bother for what the cost of a wheel refurb is.

I know that junction very well, however it is spectacularly badly signposted as the first exit is (as the pics show) at the 270deg mark, so lots of people get into the right hand lane there as very, very few people ever take the 2nd or 3rd exits on that roundabout. Tbh on occasion I've used the RHL myself to nip past a dawdler, no harm done as long as there is room and as the entrance to the exit is two cars wide it does allow for people either being idiots or making a mistake. Best of slamming your brakes on and then calling them a c*nt for the next 10 miles than damaging your own car.

Its all good saying applying the brakes would have been the best thing to do but when you dont have the chance because the is someone coming behind as well its kinda hard you have to think are they going to stop in time....

im not going through the insurance and why should i

i have reported her for her road conduct more than anything, if i can get the delightful woman to court for her actions great i now know how much one wheel will cost so thats what i would be going for.

end of the day its my choice to pursue this and if i dont notify my insurance of it as there is no need thats also my choice.

i drove back to that junction the other night in my estate car, camera mounted to video the junction an there is white markings on the road indicating its one lane only and has the ghost island marking to show one lane so she not only wasnt paying attention she was trying to overtake at a junction very poor road sense and oblivious to other road users including those on coming

just to let you know also, even if the insurance companies did allow this to go through and even if she admitted it was 100% her fault and you claimed through her insurance 'your insurance premium next year will go up!!'

i know this through experience, just the quick basics of my experience: my car was parked up in the car park at work (yes i had comuting insurance so i am covered in my companies carpark) i happend to be walking from the top offices to the yard at the time and a lady drove into the car park in her car and asked for directions, she turned round reversed into my car, (a guy in the offices saw it all as he was having a smoke outside, he gave me all her details) i had already walked to the yard by this time and knew nothing of it. i went back to the offices later on in the day and some asked me if the red astra was my car i said yes and they passed the details on to me. i was pi**ed off but i thought bingo ive got the bi7ch, i knew exactly where she was going (from her asking for directions) i found her car there got her phone number spoke to her and she said "i knew i hit something but wasnt sure what it was so just drove off"

i got her insurance details started making the claim and because im a sad bastard i thought i wonder if it will afect me when i come to renewal? so i opened 2 windows on my computer and did 2 exactly the same insurance quotes (except one has got 1 claim not my fault on it)

turns out MY insurance would have gone up by £80!!!!!!! and it wasnt my fault and she admitted full responsibility.

try it yourself and see what happens!! i promise you will be shocked!!

sorry about the spelling im on a shared computer on the ship and can you believe it, its that old it doesnt have spell check!!

Robster.....I would be very surprised if it was traffic that attended to talk to you. It is VERY unlikely any action will be taken against her and any police decision will not really influence the insurances decision to pay out. She will probably have some WOA given. The police will just decide wether to prosecute or not.

You will need to push your insurance HARD in order to get and money towards repair if that is something you wanted to do and you would be luck to get anything other than a 50/50.

I cant give you the 'they will do this or that' but if you want to drop me a PM ill happily go through the proceedure with you before the bobbies knock on your door.(yes I am one but not in your area)

Robster.....I would be very surprised if it was traffic that attended to talk to you. It is VERY unlikely any action will be taken against her and any police decision will not really influence the insurances decision to pay out. She will probably have some WOA given. The police will just decide wether to prosecute or not.

You will need to push your insurance HARD in order to get and money towards repair if that is something you wanted to do and you would be luck to get anything other than a 50/50.

I cant give you the 'they will do this or that' but if you want to drop me a PM ill happily go through the proceedure with you before the bobbies knock on your door.(yes I am one but not in your area)

that is awesome to see people helping people in need! good job mate! :thumbs:

Traffic didn't attend but the woman at my local station was giving good vibes in the fact it seemed fairly straight cut once she had seen the map etc

at present i have not notified the insurance company and i dont plan on as far as i am concerned this is a civil mater im planning on pursuing her for damages

So someone was behind you, but trying to overtake? So you drove in to a kerb?

:bangin:

why not just drive on and she would have had to back off?

Also it sounds like you must have driven like a loony to stop her after you had stopped to inspect the damage, and then openly admit you parked in the middle of the road?!

have you seen the CCTV footage?

thanks mate i will drop you pm tonight, i did speak to my old man who had a interseting 30 years in job variying in what he did from riot squad back in the days to response driver pursuit trained thingy lol

he knows that bit of road well and said that no mater if i was infront or behind her car i was in the left lane taking the left exit there was no other place for my car to go apart from there so she was driving without due care and attention and driving without regard for other users

the fact she didnt stop is a sticky one as her car was not damaged by the incident she didnt have to stop but again the fact when i caught up with her she knew exactly what she had done and still failed to provide details then puts her in the category of failing to provide details at the scene of an accident

So someone was behind you, but trying to overtake? So you drove in to a kerb?

:bangin:

why not just drive on and she would have had to back off?

Also it sounds like you must have driven like a loony to stop her after you had stopped to inspect the damage, and then openly admit you parked in the middle of the road?!

have you seen the CCTV footage?

she was on my right hand side on the round about and i was in the left hand lane taking the left hand exit she was on my drivers rear when i was entering the junction, i had no choice but to either let her take out the side of my car (would have been a clear cut case of her at fault if she did) or slow down there was not enough space with on coming traffic which resulted with me being forced into and over the kerb.

luckily the road that i was on shortly after the incident was a national speed limit and she was doing 50mph as she was being over taken by other cars so yes i was able to catch up with her.

i will add this was a Saturday evening and between me stopping to inspect the damage and then jumping back in the car to catch up there was a grand total of 8 cars ahead of me so would hardly say there was need to drive like a loony as i could still see her driving poorly in the distance

I had a situation down a country lane once where I came round a bend to find an Astra in the middle of the road bombing towards me, I moved to the hedgeside in instinct and hit a kerb which went through both left sided wheels. had to get a low loader to pick my car up....I'd only had it a month and it was on my birthday! Happy Birthday to me. On the upside decided to go out and get wasted and met my future wife....

I contacted the council as I was annoyed that they had recently resurfaced to road and the oposite side was fine with new kerbs and that they hadn't bothered to put an 'up' kerb leading to the water point and wanted them to pay towards the replacement wheels. (I had had success with this when hitting a pothole that buckled a steel wheel on my very first car and they part paid for a replacement wheel and tyre)

I got a short response basically saying that they were not taking responsibility and that the kerbstones were due to be replaced after some additional ground works. I knew I couldn't do anything with regards to being pushed to outside of the road as I didn't have any details of the other driver due to the pace of the astra. A traffic officer I knew back then advised me not to bother even if I did as it would just be one word against another and that insurance would just split costs at best and I'd lose no claims. (Which at 22 was mightily important to me).

I was gutted but took the hit and picked up the wheels second hand costing me a total of £135. I wish you all the best with your case. At least you have proof and details.

7447266376_13747fb902.jpg

MVC-001X by p_h_7, on Flickr

7447266272_45a22f8927.jpg

MVC-003X by p_h_7, on Flickr

7447266176_18c3540952.jpg

MVC-005X by p_h_7, on Flickr

7447266072_58739e3e3a.jpg

MVC-012F by p_h_7, on Flickr

7447265952_c1f8562829.jpg

MVC-013F by p_h_7, on Flickr

The other side of the road...

7447265846_0697a17523.jpg

MVC-014F by p_h_7, on Flickr

This was my 2nd car...it went on a cat d after a frankly crazy car park incident involving 5 cars and no drivers!!!

7447270820_4700379f03.jpg

ride2 by p_h_7, on Flickr

Have you tried going round or writing to the woman and asking for the repair money? She or whoever is the main insured driver might just feel it will be cheaper that way than losing no claims, court costs etc. Other wise the police will put in an advice file(if it gets passed the police supervisor) to the CPS and in my experience they will say it is not in the publics interest to take to court. Then it would be a civil claim and that could cost.

at present i have not notified the insurance company and i dont plan on as far as i am concerned this is a civil mater im planning on pursuing her for damages

Then you're an idiot. When you renew, they ask you whether you've had any claims OR ACCIDENTS in the last year. Thanks to the power of the internet, there is now a whole lot of proof (including photos!) that you did indeed have an accident in the last year, so if you don't tell them about it when they ask then that's fraud. And that's rather naughty, and if they find out then they can invalidate your insurance.

I appreciate that from my tone above this next piece of advice may come across as a little condescending, but lots of good folks have given you some very good bits of advice on here regarding this situation and your tone with them has been somewhat less than polite. I understand you're angry at the situation, as might well I be, but taking it out on people on here isn't on IMHO. You'd do well to listen to the advice given and move on, however if you choose to pursue this through the civil courts then I'll stand on the roundabout in question stark bollock naked except for a sign saying "RABSTER IS AWESOME" if you actually get a result from it. Move on, life's too short.

The thing with these types of incidents is that sometimes nerves + time is worth more than the moral high ground of attributing guilt. If you decide that your time attending court + increased insurance premiums for the next 5 years + potential court costs including defense fees if you lose + impact on personal life due to nerves/stress + the fact that you will have to sort your wheels out in the meantime regardless (you're unlikely to get any money particularly quickly even if you do somehow manage to get it) is worth it, then go ahead.

In my book £60 a corner at the finest wheel refurb place you can find x2 (equivalent to 1 tank of petrol) is not worth losing my sleep over.