Fuel use poll

docwra

How often do you fill up with non-Super fuel?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you fill up with non-Super fuel?

• Never, never, never!
    • Only in desperation/fuel strikes/France
    • Occasionally, maybe 25% of time
    • 50% of the time
    • Nearly all the time
    • Whats this "Super" you speak of?

But doesnt super give increased MPG right across the rev range, so the extra cost of super would still be offset by the increased mpg, whatever the journey type?

Around here super is only 3 pence more expensive than normal (137.9 plays 140.9) which is 2.17% extra, so if you get 25mpg on normal, it would only have to go up to 25.5mpg on super for it to justify the price difference :thumbs: (plus the added benefits of extra torque, obviously)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But doesnt super give increased MPG right across the rev range, so the extra cost of super would still be offset by the increased mpg, whatever the journey type?

Around here super is only 3 pence more expensive than normal (137.9 plays 140.9) which is 2.17% extra, so if you get 25mpg on normal, it would only have to go up to 25.5mpg on super for it to justify the price difference :thumbs: (plus the added benefits of extra torque, obviously)

no shell had to take down their advertisements for this reason. In the long run the engine stays cleaner etc which should help efficiency.

I never see over 18mpg on a tank driving normally now

Interesting, 15% of people so far use 95ron at least 50% of the time, 10% almost all of the time :snack:

Would have been useful to find out if the super non believers are mile munchers or not.... I must admit if I was doing a 30 mile each way commute in traffic each day I doubt I would bother with super unleaded, not much occasion to notice any decrease in power or performance or to get over 4k doing 30mph or less :surrender:

Most of the time I use super, but when the prices went up last month I couldn't justify £1.62 a litre so went with regular at £1.50 which was still ridiculous.

For the sake of 8% difference, why you wouldn't put super in anyway is a mystery to me.

Super around my area ranges in +3p through to +12p a litre depending on the day. +3p isn't an issue (I'll pay up to +7p) but after that I just can't see the point.

About 20% of the time. I only ever use the one garage (Shell in Mold) and it doesn't always have V-Power. I never go to ASDA or Tesco as there's usually a 5 or 6 deep queue at each pump.

Pete

Super all the time for me, except once in 18 months, 20 quids worth of the other stuff during the recent fuel panic, diluted asap

I've voted never, never, never....

....always used Shell V-Power (80%) or Tesco 99 (20%) since I bought mine.

Mind you, I checked the MOTs, and I've only done 3.5k miles in the last year, so there's not much excuse for not finding the right fuel, really!

Filled up at acorn and got nervous eh doc? :p

NEVER! :dry:

I actually know the guy that runs the BP so go there, the Shell is known for card fraud and with a JDM ECU and a penchant for high revs I defintiely wouldnt risk it. If I cant get super I just use one of my other cars until I can :D

The poll actually came from somethign that Sarnie said, that as we havent seen many engine failures its probably blown out of proportion. My counter was that if everyone used super all the time (like Nissan say) then you wouldnt see many anyway, thought it would be interesting to see what the split was. If only 5% of cars are ever seeing low octane fuel it stands to reason we wont have seen many failures.

NEVER! :dry:

I actually know the guy that runs the BP so go there, the Shell is known for card fraud and with a JDM ECU and a penchant for high revs I defintiely wouldnt risk it. If I cant get super I just use one of my other cars until I can :D

The poll actually came from somethign that Sarnie said, that as we havent seen many engine failures its probably blown out of proportion. My counter was that if everyone used super all the time (like Nissan say) then you wouldnt see many anyway, thought it would be interesting to see what the split was. If only 5% of cars are ever seeing low octane fuel it stands to reason we wont have seen many failures.

Problem is, shell has vpower. I bet that's why I had issues with a card once though.

Interesting this...

But let's not forget the hordes of people who own a 350z but do not use this forum... and probably therefore are not as in love with the car as we are... they are more likely to put 95 in..? And the car hardly has any significant reliability issues against it's name.

Also, has there ever been a reliable, well controlled and unbiased test to see if the higher stuff makes any difference to performance? I don't think you can really trust your own judgement on the road... there's bound to be a placebo effect of sorts. I think this stuff will give the car more power, therefore I believe it, therefore it does..?!? :shrug:

Interesting this...

But let's not forget the hordes of people who own a 350z but do not use this forum... and probably therefore are not as in love with the car as we are... they are more likely to put 95 in..? And the car hardly has any significant reliability issues against it's name.

Also, has there ever been a reliable, well controlled and unbiased test to see if the higher stuff makes any difference to performance? I don't think you can really trust your own judgement on the road... there's bound to be a placebo effect of sorts. I think this stuff will give the car more power, therefore I believe it, therefore it does..?!? :shrug:

Urr, I take it you haven't seen the pictures of what has happened to some zeds run on 95 ron then?

Interesting this...

Urr, I take it you haven't seen the pictures of what has happened to some zeds run on 95 ron then?

Still over 10% of people saying they use 95 ron at least 50% of the time if not more, and that is from owners that care enough about their car to sign up to this forum, I suspect the figure for non members is probably a fair amount higher...

I will continue to use super because if I was a penny pincher I would sell the Zed and buy something more economical, but if I had to fill up with 95 for whatever reason then I certainly wouldn't be paranoid about it :blackeye:

Interesting this...

Sorry I haven't... I know this is a well discussed topic but I am not familiar :blush:

I'm just a cynical sod that's all... I think in most instances (for most vehicles) it probably makes no difference - but it may very well do for the 350z? Where there's a product to sell there will always be potentially biased information directed towards selling that product..?!? Of course I am not suggesting that folk on here have anything to gain... I'm just talking in general.

I primarily use the super stuff so I am not immune to my own cynicism..! :)

very true, for most vehicles it makes no difference, as the car is setup for 95 and so running on 98 gives nothing extra. however if a car is setup to run optimally on 98, switching to 95 will be detrimental. maybe not a catastrophic engine failure, just less top end power and economy suffers slightly.

Interesting this...

Sorry I haven't... I know this is a well discussed topic but I am not familiar :blush:

I'm just a cynical sod that's all... I think in most instances (for most vehicles) it probably makes no difference - but it may very well do for the 350z? Where there's a product to sell there will always be potentially biased information directed towards selling that product..?!? Of course I am not suggesting that folk on here have anything to gain... I'm just talking in general.

I primarily use the super stuff so I am not immune to my own cynicism..! :)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58599&hilit=Unleaded+Damage

I'll always use Vpower unless there's a strike going on. If that's the case then around here it's a take whatever you can get unfortunately. I've only ever filled the Zed up with Vpower so far though.