How to Smurfadise a Zed......**Yellow Brembos** P29

glrnet

• 3 weeks later...

I've been meaning to do this since I did Buster's speaker wiring mod to my Alpine HU. Anyway I had a pair of speakers kicking around that a customer didn't want:-

photo-36-1.jpg

So took the door cards off and removed the old speakers:-

photo-37-1.jpg

Then I cut the old speakers out of the casing and Dremelled the lip so the new speaker would sit neatly in the old casing:-

photo-19-3.jpg

Secured the new speaker into the old casing and added new cables ready to connect to the old loom:-

photo-33-2.jpg

And remounted the old casing with new speaker to the door:-

photo-34-1.jpg

I'm really pleased with the improved sound quality with is certainly sharper and I think I'll probably change the rears now too, certainly seem to be on the audio slippery slope now :)

• 2 months later...

I took the rear speakers out last week and replaced them with identical Alpines that I put in the front recently ^^ and I have to say the difference is outstanding. A more than worthwhile mod for £70 odd quid, new sub and amp now :shrug: I don't think it needs it for the amount of time I actually have the stereo on and I've noticed now with these higher output speakers that I can crank the volume up much further without distortion than I used to be able to and the stock sub seems better than it was before as it's not being held back by the poor original speakers. Well that's my reasoning but I'm sure one of you audio buffs will correct me if I'm wrong :teeth: Can't wait for our trip down to the south of France, mrs glrnet won't be getting as much sleep as she usually does :lol:

Nice work Papa the speakers do seem to be the most limiting factor in the stock setup, changing the rears should give it a nice kick, an amp/sub upgrade would improve it evem more but like you say it is only really for the long trips so probably overkill.... besides once you fit Adrians S/C you will need bigger speakers anyway :stir:

How easy wast it to do the rear speakers? From the look of this guide a lot of panels need to be removed: http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rear_Panel_Removal

It's not too bad mate, most of the panels are nice and big, as long as you know where the clips are and go careful. The only dodgy bit is the surround to the passenger seat cubby as it is flimsy when you take it off so you coukd break it if your clumsy.

Myself & Buster had my rear speakers out and swapped in about 10 mins tops ;)

Myself & Buster had my rear speakers out and swapped in about 10 mins tops ;)

Shame I can't get the speakers delivered before the Grasshopper meet. ;)

We can send your Zed home in bits if you like :p

Never played with a roadster, is the layout the same i.e. rears & sub?

God knows! I've never played with a roadster either, at least not in that sense. You would've thought they'd be fairly similar though.

Graham, did you chance the 1" tweeters as well or just leave them OEM due to the tweaters in the Alpines?