I think I may have bought the wrong car....

Luke0549

I think there is a bit more to it than just the % of it's available power that you are using... it's cool to have quite a bit in reserve for much of the time.. just in case........ :lol:

When you think about it, unless its a 2CV, you only use a modest proportion of the performance available on the vast majority of cars on the road, most of the time.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owned the zed for about a month now, and I can't help but think that I bought the wrong car.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic, but it seems like it has too much power for uk roads. I mean, wherever I put my foot down, there's either a speed camera, or other cars.

Starting to feel that the power is unusable. Therefore the petrol consumption is pointless if I can't enjoy it.

I'm driving to nurburgring next month so hopefully that will change my mind.

I'm considering to use it learn how to drift. And then next year get something a bit more usable for roads and keep this as a toy.

Anyone else feel a bit like this?

I have never felt that the zed has too much power or its unusable on UK roads. The only thing id have preferred is if Nissan had altered the final drive, to lower the top speed and increase acceleration. Whats the point of having a car that could probably hit 170/180mph but restricting it to 155, when in reality your never likely to ever reach anything near that sort of speed in real life.

I have several times wondered if i bought the wrong car. However, that was purely because up until this last month I was doing about 2000 miles a month in it, most of which was stuck in traffic on my daily commute and I also worked out the car was costing me around £950 a month - with £500 or more of that being just fuel. - which is more than my mortgage costs me. When your stuck in traffic doing 30mph, unable to use the performance of the car, whilst watching the fuel gauge dropping like a rock you do wonder if its the right choice.

However, this last few months ive been lucky to have use of a old diesel shed, which saves me £300 a month on fuel alone, and now when I drive the zed, i enjoy it a whole lot more. I now get that same buzz I got when i first drove the zed, everytime im in it again.

Nope - never felt it has too much power for the roads. It can have too much for cirtain circumstances and conditions, but can you ever have too much?

Dont EVER work out your pence per mile cost in terms of depreciation/fuel/tax on a sports car. You won't like it. :blush:

Sometimes you will think that its a big waste of money, but when you get to drive it on the open road, it will all make sense again. If driving your car (whatever it is) on the open road on a sunny summers day doesnt make you smile, thats when you know you've got the wrong car. :lol:

I live in Watford, Hertfordshire, right next to London so trying to find some decent roads isn't really the easiest.

I only really use the car for driving to the gym which is about 4/5miles away and to my girlfriends which is a 50mile motorway round trip. Plus I got flashed on the motorway about 2 months back doing 90ish, so now I'm too scared to push it For the sake of getting points.

Not wishing to offend, but what attracted you to the car in the first place?

What I mean by this is that the qualities of the car that made you buy it, probably still remain. Looks, affordability, sportyness when you want it etc etc. Alternatively, what would you get instead, and would it make you smile as much?

I live in Watford, Hertfordshire, right next to London so trying to find some decent roads isn't really the easiest.

I only really use the car for driving to the gym which is about 4/5miles away and to my girlfriends which is a 50mile motorway round trip. Plus I got flashed on the motorway about 2 months back doing 90ish, so now I'm too scared to push it For the sake of getting points.

I can do 90 in my 1.25 zetec fiesta......sounds like a PICNIC error to me.

Not wishing to offend, but what attracted you to the car in the first place?

What I mean by this is that the qualities of the car that made you buy it, probably still remain. Looks, affordability, sportyness when you want it etc etc. Alternatively, what would you get instead, and would it make you smile as much?

My old car was dying a slow and painful death. So needed something to replace it. I've always admired the 350z and wanted one since I first saw one.

I think I'll just go for a drive and see if that cures my situation....

I can do 90 in my 1.25 zetec fiesta......sounds like a PICNIC error to me.

What's a PICNIC error?

It means a user error Person In Chair Not in Car ;)

Actually it means Person In Chair Not in Computer but I adapted it. Its usually used by smart arse IT bods (which I'm not I might add.....this was used to describe myself when reporting some serious system malfunction which turned out to be a bit of crisp lodged in my keyboard)

Ha i'm using that in the future.

You really need to get away to some nice roads mate, if your doing in town and motorway only your never going to love any car tbh. IMO cars are all about handling and power (and looks ofc) these aren't really used in town and on a motorway (well power can be).

Find some nice roads mate :D

Owned the zed for about a month now, and I can't help but think that I bought the wrong car.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic, but it seems like it has too much power for uk roads. I mean, wherever I put my foot down, there's either a speed camera, or other cars.

Starting to feel that the power is unusable. Therefore the petrol consumption is pointless if I can't enjoy it.

I'm driving to nurburgring next month so hopefully that will change my mind.

I'm considering to use it learn how to drift. And then next year get something a bit more usable for roads and keep this as a toy.

Anyone else feel a bit like this?

No

I have never felt that the zed has too much power or its unusable on UK roads. The only thing id have preferred is if Nissan had altered the final drive, to lower the top speed and increase acceleration. Whats the point of having a car that could probably hit 170/180mph but restricting it to 155, when in reality your never likely to ever reach anything near that sort of speed in real life.

I suspect the reason for the long final gear is fuel economy. I doubt many use 6th for hard acceleration anyway, just pop it down to 5th or 4th if you need a burst of power.

You don't need to be using the max speed in the Zed, the buzz comes from how you get there as well - and you can use the power and the acceleration perfectly legally on 'A' and 'B' roads much better than you can on motorways

One of the things I love is the ability to overtake - and the acceleration and pace means it is much safer in the Zed than in some slug bucket

I was coming back from my brothers' (Wimborne) up the A350 and then up to Swindon - all classic 2 lane old-fashioned 'A' roads and the ability to pull hard from 40 to 70 meant that the overtaking was quick, it was fun, too, and the journey was thoroughly entertaining.

I can remember posting on here about the joy of travelling in Scotland, too, and on some of the bends and poor surface roads up there you're very likely only doing 50 ish but it's a postive joy giving her the beans and feeling the power gripping the road and thrusting you out of the corners - and all within the speed limits

As they always say - "It aint what ya got, it's what ya do with it that counts"

I've only test driven a few and god... thats a bit dramatic for a statement lol. Honestly, find some good country roads out the way of everything, preferably on a sunsetty evening and enjoy it! :thumbs: Surroundings help with the 'car mood'. Yeah its bad cos' your stuck with speed limits and traffic jams .... but at the end of the day... your sitting in something special. Next time you're unsure... possibly in a traffic que... just look out the window at whomever is sitting next to you. Bet 90% of the time its nowhere near as special looking/feeling/sounding as a Zed! B) (and i don't even own one... YET... :) )