Oil Coolers - and oil Temps Information

Sam Mcgoo

I've been reading all the posts I can find on here about oil coolers and oil temperatures before and after fitting one and I'm finding a post here and a post there etc... It would be nice to get the info on one post.

Could those with coolers please tell me their findings?

i.e. normal driving temps, temps when pushing it on road and when on track.

Also could you please say what size/rows your cooler has.

And where it is located - in full air flow, tucked up behind crash bar etc.....

The reason I'm asking is I know I'm need one due to hitting 138degC scared.gif on track last week but I'm trying to decide on what size to get and how much air to give it etc...

I am happy with my normal temperatures, I see between 80 and 105 on the road. I don't want to over cool the oil during normal driving so was wondering if I could get away with a smaller cooler in order to just lower the max temps seen on track to below 125, but without lowering my normal temps too much.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Hi sam,

I have a big oil cooler 19 or 24 row I cant remember buts its a mocal with -12 lines (BIG ONES! lol..) and a mocal external stat. Road driving is from 75C winter to 95-100C summer. Track the hottest I saw was TOTB comp last year (30C air temp) and the car got up to 111C oil temp. Coolant was steady from 185F to 210F as fans kicked in and out.

If you hit 138C change the oil NOW its dead! lol..

Hi sam,

+1

Indeed, it starts breaking down at 125C and once its started to oxidise it will break down at lower and lower temperatures.

Pete

Sam,

19 row -10 cooler will suffice for your needs , you can fit a Thermostatic take off plate to allow the temp to be controlled when the car isn't been driven hard.

Remove the Zeds water/oil cooler plate and everything will fit real easily.

As per our chat he other day I can supply all the require equipment , even the proper pipes made up with proper fittings , I don't and wont use push on pipe with jubilee clips, we only proper Motorsport fittings and hose.

Sam

I have a Mocal 13 row with thermostat on the car (NA) on a cruise it runs about 75-80 degrees, push on to fast road/ track & I never see it above 110. I`m shocked that this is not part of your build tbh. Have you changed the sump or put a pan spacer in?

Also +1 get the oil changed asap

Hi sam,

+1

Indeed, it starts breaking down at 125C and once its started to oxidise it will break down at lower and lower temperatures.

Pete

Sam

I have a Mocal 13 row with thermostat on the car (NA) on a cruise it runs about 75-80 degrees, push on to fast road/ track & I never see it above 110. I`m shocked that this is not part of your build tbh. Have you changed the sump or put a pan spacer in?

Hi sam,

+1

Pete

If the car has good quality oil it will be safe for short periods of high oil temp but I do agree get it changed ASAP;

Darren your def see higher temps once tweak the car.

138deg on track is spot on! I got logged last year at the Ring and saw 135 :scare: and knew I have been very lucky so got a setrab 19 row oil cooler with thermostatic plate and -10 braided lines and AN hose fitting. Installed it at the weekend.

Sneak piccie.

e4ea1949.jpg

Hi sam,

I have a big oil cooler 19 or 24 row I cant remember buts its a mocal with -12 lines (BIG ONES! lol..) and a mocal external stat. Road driving is from 75C winter to 95-100C summer. Track the hottest I saw was TOTB comp last year (30C air temp) and the car got up to 111C oil temp. Coolant was steady from 185F to 210F as fans kicked in and out.

Thanks Tim, I have been looking at your threads and pics and yours is a 24 row. I think a 24 Row with -12 lines will be overkill for me as a Supercharger doesn't produce as much heat as a turbo. Good info though cheers. :thumbs:

What do you do to monitor oil temp?

I have fitted an oil Temperature Gauge. ;)

Sam

It has not been necessary for a cooler in the past as the oil temps have never gone above 110deg C on the road and usually sit around 90 - 100 which is fine. I do have the JWT pan spacer so have a bit more oil in then standard (5.7 litres).

Thanks for your numbers, I don't really want to see my oil temp below 80 once on the go and would be happy to see up to 120 max on track so a set up similar size to yours might suit me as mine would get a bit hotter then yours. Where is yours mounted? Does it get full air flow?

Sam

Hi sam,

+1

Pete

If the car has good quality oil it will be safe for short periods of high oil temp but I do agree get it changed ASAP;

Indeed. I had fresh Titan Pro S and have been advised by 'oilman' that a short peak of 138 will be fine as long as it wasn't over 130 for long periods. I will be changing the oil when I fit the cooler and it will be driven very little in the meantime as I am away working. :)

Sam,

19 row -10 cooler will suffice for your needs , you can fit a Thermostatic take off plate to allow the temp to be controlled when the car isn't been driven hard.

Remove the Zeds water/oil cooler plate and everything will fit real easily.

As per our chat he other day I can supply all the require equipment , even the proper pipes made up with proper fittings , I don't and wont use push on pipe with jubilee clips, we only proper Motorsport fittings and hose.

Thanks Mark. I really appreciated your advise when I called you from the track last week and as I said on the phone, the latest tune you have done is spot on, so smooth and pulls like a train. :teeth:

If you could PM me a itemised quote for the above parts that would be great. I maybe able to get the hoses/fittings from work but not sure yet.

From memory mine was a 19 row cooler. Never saw temps above 90 degrees on the road, generally it would sit around 80. Never got it onto track to find out temps on there.

Mine was fitted in the middle of the grille

071.jpg

As I am running similar power to your car Sam, I would imagine I am in the same boat... only because my exhaust and headers aren't as free-flowing, the engine / oil temps could even get higher then that on track! :scare:

My problem with the oil cooler is mounting it. I would have to take the canards off and drill holes in my lovely V2... arrgghhh! :(

Hi Sam,

You know where I am at on this but as you said good to get it in one place

My Oil cooler is mounted next to the FMIC

OilCooler23.jpg

I get 80% in full air flow due to bumper design

Static test shows

Inlet

OilCooler27.jpg

Return

OilCooler26.jpg

I have only run one road test since fitting and no track days yet! The oil was cooler by the gauge but the gauge sensor was mounted in the top of the sump (I also have an APS sump) The general opinion is that the sensor needs to be in the oil flow to get a true reading and I have since added a sandwich plate to accomplish this.

I'll update again when/if I everr get her running again :headhurt:

Darren your def see higher temps once tweak the car.

Oh yes I am aware of this, I am planning to closely monitor the temps after install then if required either get a spacer kit or larger sump, perhaps a baffled one if there available on the zed? Recommendations welcome

Sam Mine is currently in full view of the grill.

138deg on track is spot on! I got logged last year at the Ring and saw 135 :scare: and knew I have been very lucky so got a setrab 19 row oil cooler with thermostatic plate and -10 braided lines and AN hose fitting. Installed it at the weekend.

:thumbs:Let us know what temps you get.

From memory mine was a 19 row cooler. Never saw temps above 90 degrees on the road, generally it would sit around 80. Never got it onto track to find out temps on there.

Mine was fitted in the middle of the grille

Cheers Ian.

As I am running similar power to your car Sam, I would imagine I am in the same boat... only because my exhaust and headers aren't as free-flowing, the engine / oil temps could even get higher then that on track! :scare:

My problem with the oil cooler is mounting it. I would have to take the canards off and drill holes in my lovely V2... arrgghhh! :(

I would say your probably right. Especially with your increased Boost. Have you tracked your car? Do you have a oil temp gauge?

Regarding mounting I'm in the same boat, but if you see how Keyser has mounted his I think that'll give just enough cooling even with the oem or nismo bumber. Although probably only 50% would be in direct air flow.

Another option for those with inter-coolers is what Mark suggests of mounting it at an angle behind the crash bar and deflecting the air towards it

Sorry if this is a dumbass question but is it okay to mount an oil cooler upside down?

I always thought you were supposed to have the inlets and outlets at the top?

If not you have saved me buying extra braided hose!!!

As Mark has said it will function in any direction. The only thing to consider is if you mount it with hoses at the top, during an oil change the oil will be trapped in there. No big deal if you do regular oil changes though.

I would say your probably right. Especially with your increased Boost. Have you tracked your car? Do you have a oil temp gauge?

Regarding mounting I'm in the same boat, but if you see how Keyser has mounted his I think that'll give just enough cooling even with the oem or nismo bumber. Although probably only 50% would be in direct air flow.

Another option for those with inter-coolers is what Mark suggests of mounting it at an angle behind the crash bar and deflecting the air towards it

_____

No I haven't got an oil temperature gauge unfortunately! :( - want to get one, but there's nowhere nice to mount it as I've filled up my pillar pod with AF/R and Boost.

Haven't tracked the car while it's been charged.

Do you have a link to the way Keyser mounted it?

Mark,

Can you provide more information and any possible pics of mounting it behind the crash bar? Would the results be as good doing it this way?

_____

No I haven't got an oil temperature gauge unfortunately! :( - want to get one, but there's nowhere nice to mount it as I've filled up my pillar pod with AF/R and Boost.

Haven't tracked the car while it's been charged.

Do you have a link to the way Keyser mounted it?

Have you got anything in your cubby hole? I have a gauge in there, very easy to do and there is plenty of room for two maybe three if needed.

P1000778.jpg

There is a pic of Keyser's set up on page 1 of this very thread. ;) Also in more detail on his build thread. (I think page 3 or 4 from memory)

:thumbs: that's awesome! I had been running mine with fittings at the top and removing it to do oil changes, was a right pain in the arse!

Think I'll be flipping mine over now, it's currently off the car because I never got round to putting it back on at last oil change.

havent hooked my sensor up yet so cant say, Id say my setup is fine though. Allthough Im using the water cooler too. (which might be some of the problems with my coolant got rather hot in the past :blush: ) :lol: Ill get it done and monitor. Great thread, keep it there so I can post some data into it.