Oil Coolers - and oil Temps Information

Sam Mcgoo

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update for those interested.

After lots of searching around at different Oil Cooler kits and making up custom kits from parts, I've ordered this:

http://www.driftworks.com/thermostatic-oil-cooler-kit-for-sr20det-vvt-s14-s15.html

Its not intended for the 350z but for the S14/S15. I've checked all the parts included and it will fit the Zed fine (driftworks have confirmed this also).

The 2 main benefits of this kit are 1. Its cheap! wink.gif and 2. The Thermostatic Sandwich plate included is set to open at 92degC instead of the usual 80. This will allow the oil to warm up nicely and shouldn't suffer from the cooler (sub 80deg) oil temp in the winter which I wanted to avoid. thumbs.gif

Unfortunately, they are not able to give group buy discounts.

I'm hoping to fit it in the next couple of weeks, so will update with fitting and temp findings after. smile.gif

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Right then, I managed to fit the Driftworks 19 row oil cooler kit today.

I've mounted it to the side of my intercooler and have tried to get as much of it in direct air flow as possible. I think its probably about 2/3 exposed.

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

Been for a drive and it looks good so far.

Quite a cool day, (11C) oil quickly warmed up to 80degC and pretty much stayed there while normal driving. Spirited driving got it up to about 92 but it quickly went down to 84 when in the cruise.

Just as a test to see if it would get hot, I done a stationary test keeping the revs at 3k for about 2 mins and it soon got up to 100. Pulled away and within a minute it was back down to about 85.

I will do some more monitoring over the next few days, but my initial impression is that is lowered my oil temps by about 5degC while driving normally but during spirited driving its lowered it by about 20degC ! :)

Regarding the thermostatic sandwich plates and their temperature ratings, I think they start to open quite a bit lower then it states but is fully open by the stated temperature.

My one is rated at 92 degC but it was definitely flowing some oil through the cooler at around 70 but not a lot, when I was pushing it it didn't go above the 92 that it states so would suggest that it was fully open.

I suppose it would make sense as you wouldn't want cool oil in the cooler suddenly going into a HOT engine when it opened. :shrug:

Anyway, time will tell. :)

What sort of thermo plate you running Sam?

2 types both work a different way.

Mocal 92 Deg Thermostatic sandwich plate.

What are the differences between the two Mark?

Looking good! B)

Cheers Tim. :)

sweet install, where is the uptake for the heat sensor? think mine opens a bit earlier too... not sure if its per design...

My temperature sensor is mounted in a sandwich plate. Where is yours then? Also, the standard Thermo plates are set at 80degC so your is probably opening earlier than mine.

presume you have the take off plate type fitted , this uses a wax thermostat to divert all the oil until the oil warms the wax thermostat up and moves the gate out of the way to allow the oil to flow via the oil cooler

The other thermostat still uses a wax thermostatic valve but the unit goes in the pipework to the oil cooler , it uses the added resistance of thick oil through a cooler to make the oil divert around the cooler by when the thermostatic valve is cold (closed) the oil will take the easiest route which is not through the cooler it doesn't shut of the flow to the cooler. once the oil thermostat is warm it shuts and the oil has to flow via the cooler.