Hello

Hello Folks.

Just finding my way around the now.

On the look out for some Info on the 370Z. Its on my shortlist of cars for my next purchase. Just trying to get as much background as i can, before the test drives. Also keen on the Cayman Gen2, Exige and Z4M.

One thing in the Zs favour is the price. Its a damm lot of car for the money they are going for the now!!

Cheers

You are right, it's a lot of the car for the money and the chances are it will probably cost you less to maintain/repair than some of the others you are considering. :welcome:

I would have to agree, well with the Porsche and Z4M, as these cars are fairly costly to own and run!

Are tyre costs not a bit of a sore point on the Z?

How weighted, and how does the steering feel on the Z, and do they understeer at the front?

On the look out for some Info on the 370Z. Its on my shortlist of cars for my next purchase. Just trying to get as much background as i can, before the test drives. Also keen on the Cayman Gen2, Exige and Z4M.

Hi there! I'm a new member myself having just got myself a 370Z. Thought I'd post as I used to have a Z4M (Coupe) and one of the new Z4's too (Z4M to new Z4 to 370Z). I wouldn't hesitate to go for the 370Z, to be honest! It's at least as good as the Z4M was to drive (waaaaay better than the new Z4's and I suspect better than the M, although I'd be guessing a bit as it's not the car I jumped out of and directly into the 370).

They're both similar cars in terms of feel (meaty controls, etc), but I'd take the 370 every time. The Z4M was one of the last cars BMW made before they got their act together in terms of interiors, so it's certainly no more 'luxury' in feel and you won't get some very-nice-to-have's like iPod input (which can be achieved in the Z4 with a third-party option that allows full control via the screen, although it was very buggy and required taking the 'wall' behind the seats apart). My M also developed a fault with its engine Vanos units, just before the warranty expired fortunately, but the dealer had it for 2 weeks and had to remove the entire front-end of the car to replace them! I daren't think how much that could have cost had I been paying! The M also has a habit of snapping its rear springs every couple of years (£100 each if I remember correctly) and its clutch is awful (even with the CDV removal trick).

I'd expect the two cars to be comparable on fuel costs and tax, with like-for-like tyre costs being more on the 370Z (although the standard Bridgestone's have waaaaaay more grip than the Z4M's Continentals ever did, so I might consider not bothering with buying the best-of-the-best Michelins or Goodyear F1's for the 370 as I have done with previous cars) and servicing costs of the 370 being very significantly lower (about half by the sounds of it - £250 ish vs £500-600).

As for your other cars: I considered a Cayman S or Boxster S when looking at the 370Z and once having driven the 370, it was again a no-brainer, and that's before you consider Porsche's 2 year (instead of 3) warranty and servicing costs that would make BMW's look like a bargain! I'd not rule out going for one somewhere down the line after a bit more research on the true reliability (assuming it really is good), but this time, I just couldn't justify it over what the Nissan offers. A more brutish car has always appealed to me, too, which a Porsche just isn't.

As for the Exige - a new friend of mine has an Elise S, which I think he's happy with, and I'm sure it's great to drive quick, but they are very spartan/loud/etc and he recently posted a photo of it being towed away due to something engine-related having gone pop..! £500 right there and then, apparently! Oof!

Out of all the (sports) cars I've so-far owned (Mazda RX-8 PZ, Z4M, Z4 sDrive35i), it's the 370Z that already gets loads more looks than any of the others - it's just cooler! B)

Hope that's all of some help :)