Council Tax

EH 370z

That sounds like a rebranding.

The bandings are a right load of crap........weren't they all done in the 60's or something by some surveyors curb crawling round in cars instead of doing a proper assessment (hence why you end up with 4 bed houses in the same tax bands as 2 bed houses).

I think the cap was around 5% or something, so that sounds very much like a re-banding.

I also completely disagree with the way this tax is calculated too (surprise). A house can have 19 bedrooms, 16 bathrooms, 6 conservatories, 3 swimming pools and an orangery.

Its only got one bin, just the same as everyone else.

Heres a question... Why should a two bed semi with two adults and three, pay less than half the council tax of a four bed detached with two adults living in it? Who is using more of the councils services?

A percentage based system already does that. Besides which, what exactly has a house price today got to do with how "able" people are to pay. That two bed semi could be a working couple in two higher earnings brackets, the four bed detached could be a house thats been owned by Ethel and Stan since 1935 and has now risen in value so that its in council tax Band G. :shrug:

I'm sure the government recommended no increases but most local authorities did it anyway.....

Ha, I can't find the similie for a complete lack of surprise :lol:

A similie (sic) would be to say your as surprised as a not very surprised thing. To say I'm as surprised the council would be a poor one.

A smilie would cool though. Happy to help.

Chap

Have the put your house in a new band?

If so, you can contest it.

I did this, as mine is £240 a month (4 beds, 2 people living in it). They came back and told me that my house was actually correct, but they had reduced my other house's council tax ......... the one that my brother pays as he lives there. :rant:

It is a ridiculous amount, and as Ive said before, when we dont use the schools, NHS (both private medical), Police (useless) or anything else it makes taking two bins and providing a fire engine that doesnt arrive for 25 minutes pretty bloody expensive. :angry:

It is a ridiculous amount, and as Ive said before, when we dont use the schools, NHS (both private medical), Police (useless) or anything else it makes taking two bins and providing a fire engine that doesnt arrive for 25 minutes pretty bloody expensive. :angry:

But all of those things are your choice :shrug:

But all of those things are your choice :shrug:

Aye but you do have the option to use those things (NHS isn't covered by council tax though).

This is on a Nottingham Council website but I assume its same across the country

http://cms.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/ ... payfor.htm

That sounds like a rebranding.

The bandings are a right load of crap........weren't they all done in the 60's or something by some surveyors curb crawling round in cars instead of doing a proper assessment (hence why you end up with 4 bed houses in the same tax bands as 2 bed houses).

Council tax bands in England are based on property valuations at 1 April 1991. Most were done by Estate Agents, most of whom were unqualified ... and yes they usually just had a drive round and used local knowledge to assess properties :bang:

I think the cap was around 5% or something, so that sounds very much like a re-banding.

I also completely disagree with the way this tax is calculated too (surprise). A house can have 19 bedrooms, 16 bathrooms, 6 conservatories, 3 swimming pools and an orangery.

Its only got one bin, just the same as everyone else.

Heres a question... Why should a two bed semi with two adults and three, pay less than half the council tax of a four bed detached with two adults living in it? Who is using more of the councils services?

Are you advocating poll tax Chris?

Schools arent really a choice, we would struggle to use them at the moment to be fair, what with no kids and all :D

Off that list, we dont have a library (it closed), there arent any parks here (we live in the country), theres no leisure facilities within 10 miles, and those there are are £5 for an hour, Im not really sure how council tax pays for housing, but I certainly dont see any of that, we have to pay to use the village hall/community centre and the local car park, we have to pay to be buried in the cemetary, there arent any public toilets in a 12 mile radius ........ oh, but we do have a war memorial. That could have been erected for a year of my council tax.

So I get roads (though council paid for my car to be valeted twice due to crap thrown up from potholes outside my house), waste disposal and tourism for my £3K a year, bargain. :bangin:

Loving the "What does Council Tax pay for? Collecting Council Tax" one though, thats really made me feel better. :bang:

It just riles me that my brother, who lives less than 10 miles away in a different district, pays less than half of what I do but gets better facilities, I dont feel like we are getting any value :(

If you are not aware, around 75% of Local Council services are funded by the annual government grant (everyone's tax). The remaining 25% income via Council Tax has to be shared out - e.g. see here:

http://www.isitfair.co.uk/PT%20CT%20Scam.html

So the Council Tax we pay only pays for a relatively small proportion of those services we either value...... or don't. :shrug:

If you extend or improve your own property it doesn't normally get rebanded. Where it would get rebanded is if you then sold that house, and then the new occupant could be liable for the increased band fees..

You could get rid of every other adult that lives with you and get a 25% discount !!!!! (thats the advantage of the Mrs going !!!!!) (that and I get to buy a ZED)

:yahoo: