350z vs s2000

k9l3

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I want to say is that if you like to make effortless progress on our crowded roads I wouldn't consider an S2000...by the time you've got it to the 6k v-tec point the overtaking opportunity has probably gone.

really?

i never had a problem, i suppose you just think further ahead with your driving like you do with advanced driving courses so you are in the right gear as you need it with the revs where you want them. agreed though that the Zed is a far lazier driving style. you can rely on the more instant torque with out needing to much input.

its like the difference between an auto and a manual both do the same job, but in completely different manners, and one requires more input from the driver than the other. neither one is better as it depends on what conditions you use it in to where its strengths lie.

both cars require completely different driving styles to get the best out of them. if you used a zed technique of driving in the S2K it would feel rubbish. if you drove the zed like the S2k the car wouldn't thank you for it.

All I want to say is that if you like to make effortless progress on our crowded roads I wouldn't consider an S2000...by the time you've got it to the 6k v-tec point the overtaking opportunity has probably gone.

really?

i never had a problem, i suppose you just think further ahead with your driving like you do with advanced driving courses so you are in the right gear as you need it with the revs where you want them. agreed though that the Zed is a far lazier driving style. you can rely on the more instant torque with out needing to much input.

its like the difference between an auto and a manual both do the same job, but in completely different manners, and one requires more input from the driver than the other. neither one is better as it depends on what conditions you use it in to where its strengths lie.

both cars require completely different driving styles to get the best out of them. if you used a zed technique of driving in the S2K it would feel rubbish. if you drove the zed like the S2k the car wouldn't thank you for it.

really?

Yes,really....because I used the word "effortless".I've had two Honda V-tec cars and they have their good points but I doubt if I'll have another.Because you've got such a long torque spread with the Zed this makes for a bigger safety margin in any overtake.But, with an XKR,you know that don't you? ;)

really?

Yes,really....because I used the word "effortless".I've had two Honda V-tec cars and they have their good points but I doubt if I'll have another.Because you've got such a long torque spread with the Zed this makes for a bigger safety margin in any overtake.But, with an XKR,you know that don't you? ;)

s2k worse on fuel then a manaro hmmm you sure you not drunk :) i think your wrong there mate thats just silly iknow if you rag the car its going to drink bad but normal driving has to be pretty good.

*sigh*

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?405277-I-can-has-new-Daily&p=4640823&viewfull=1#post4640823

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?405277-I-can-has-new-Daily&p=4646144&viewfull=1#post4646144

Ive also seen proof with my own eyes as we convoyed to Le Mans one year with him in the 2K and the next year in the Monaro. Im sure if you dont exceed 3K RPM in the S2K then it will have better MPG but then you might as well be driving a Diesel Fiesta.

Likewise, I used a 2K for a commute (not mad balls out thrashing) that I usually do in the Zed and found the fuel consumption was somewhere between 15 and 20% worse. Maybe my friend Vez and I drive harder than the average person, but I know another 2-3 people who were exactly the same, finding the 2K consumption pretty damn bad. :dry:

Still, back on point, they are great cars, I doubt you would regret buying one :)

s2k worse on fuel then a manaro hmmm you sure you not drunk :) i think your wrong there mate thats just silly iknow if you rag the car its going to drink bad but normal driving has to be pretty good.

*sigh*

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?405277-I-can-has-new-Daily&p=4640823&viewfull=1#post4640823

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?405277-I-can-has-new-Daily&p=4646144&viewfull=1#post4646144

Ive also seen proof with my own eyes as we convoyed to Le Mans one year with him in the 2K and the next year in the Monaro. Im sure if you dont exceed 3K RPM in the S2K then it will have better MPG but then you might as well be driving a Diesel Fiesta.

Likewise, I used a 2K for a commute (not mad balls out thrashing) that I usually do in the Zed and found the fuel consumption was somewhere between 15 and 20% worse. Maybe my friend Vez and I drive harder than the average person, but I know another 2-3 people who were exactly the same, finding the 2K consumption pretty damn bad. :dry:

Still, back on point, they are great cars, I doubt you would regret buying one :)

VTEC driving is pretty exhausting...

if you're cruising the motorway you need to drop a gear to accelerate. If you want to overtake on an A road you'd have to drop two.

Heck, even if you want to make progress up a hill you'd need to be in a lower gear than you would normally and be doing about 5k just to keep moving, and keeping the revs that high when cruising is pretty noisy, even more so without a proper roof!

On a racetrack, an s2000 makes perfect sense, as you'd keep it in VTEC all the time, and have the power when you need it, and noise isnt a concern. But for cruising torque is the winner. My thoughts are, an s2000 has to be wrung out to 9k, and even then it only makes 240bhp, whereas the zed makes 280 at just 6.5k. And the torque figures are so far apart its unreal - below 5k the 350 would have nearly double the torque of an s2000.

VTEC driving is pretty exhausting...

if you're cruising the motorway you need to drop a gear to accelerate. If you want to overtake on an A road you'd have to drop two.

Heck, even if you want to make progress up a hill you'd need to be in a lower gear than you would normally and be doing about 5k just to keep moving, and keeping the revs that high when cruising is pretty noisy, even more so without a proper roof!

On a racetrack, an s2000 makes perfect sense, as you'd keep it in VTEC all the time, and have the power when you need it, and noise isnt a concern. But for cruising torque is the winner. My thoughts are, an s2000 has to be wrung out to 9k, and even then it only makes 240bhp, whereas the zed makes 280 at just 6.5k. And the torque figures are so far apart its unreal - below 5k the 350 would have nearly double the torque of an s2000.

Rubbish. I can overtake perfectly well in my diesel truck that weighs over 2.5tons and has a powerband you can thread through the eye of a needle it's that narrow. It's all about forward planning and knowing your vehicle.

It's lazier overtaking in the Zed, granted, but no more easier than in an S2K.

Rubbish. I can overtake perfectly well in my diesel truck that weighs over 2.5tons and has a powerband you can thread through the eye of a needle it's that narrow. It's all about forward planning and knowing your vehicle.

If it's "lazier" then it's also more "effortless",which is what I said.How is that rubbish? Less effort means easier progress which IMHO means safer progress for the average driver.So you can always forward plan to be in exactly the right gear on a twisty,dark road that you don't know?If so you must be a better driver than most.

Let's try another adjective which might be more relevant to the OP's queries.

"A 350z is a BETTER car for public road overtaking than a S2000."

If it's "lazier" then it's also more "effortless",which is what I said.How is that rubbish? Less effort means easier progress which IMHO means safer progress for the average driver.So you can always forward plan to be in exactly the right gear on a twisty,dark road that you don't know?If so you must be a better driver than most.

I have to be honest I totally agree.

I had an RX8 (which is somewhere around the same neck of the woods in terms of torque) and it drove me crazy! Revving the bollocks off a car every time you want it to actually move anywhere was a bit too much like hard work for my liking.

You can 'safely overtake' but like said above - you've got to have your head on it and be prepared to take action to do it.......with the Zed you just dump the pedal and off you pop.

I have to be honest I totally agree.

I had an RX8 (which is somewhere around the same neck of the woods in terms of torque) and it drove me crazy! Revving the bollocks off a car every time you want it to actually move anywhere was a bit too much like hard work for my liking.

You can 'safely overtake' but like said above - you've got to have your head on it and be prepared to take action to do it.......with the Zed you just dump the pedal and off you pop.

really?

Rich why do you even bother, You've owned one what do their opinions matter? the last thread got locked :lol:

But seriously some people cant see past the zed. I love mine but can appricate other cars and the s2k is on my list to own. Will I like it? maybe I will maybe I wont. But atleast I will have tried it.

really?

Rich why do you even bother, You've owned one what do their opinions matter? the last thread got locked :lol:

But seriously some people cant see past the zed. I love mine but can appricate other cars and the s2k is on my list to own. Will I like it? maybe I will maybe I wont. But atleast I will have tried it.

i must admit i have tried to be impartial as possible with my argument on here. yes i know between the 2 cars which is my favorite but I've tried to make sure I've been balanced with my view. pointed out the benefits and disadvantages of both and even my current motor.

what I'm trying to avoid is not saying which one is the better car as thats subjective. but more that they are both very different vehicles, driven differently and achieve different things.

what really frustrates me is the people who just say "the zeds the best" thats subjective, its an opinion but its not fact. yes it might be the best car for that person, but it doesn't mean that rule can be rolled out for every tom dick and harry.

i just want to maintain with the few of us that are trying a balanced view and not one that comes with zed tinted specs.

for me my fav was the honda it just did something for me the zed could never do. i loved it, but it had its frustrations. thats not to say there weren't things i loved about my zed and they are great cars. but thats just my opinion, just because this setup suits me best doesn't; mean its suitable for the next person.

i don't want to get in trouble with the mods and be seen as a troll on here so i hope for all its noticeable that i am trying to be unbiased and untroll like.

:pS2000 is the best car ever... infinite + infinite no comebacks :lol: