Changes to MOT rules in 2012

ace

im not sure fly eyes will even pass now as they still obvously affect light output.

although reading the washer bit more carefully.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

that to me suggests new cars must have it and possibly new imports, but i dont think it will be forced on older cars as it states manufactures must fit them not owners, its not an aftermarket kit, i think it will be like rear seatbelts if the car was never made with them you dont have to have them

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the way it reads to me is if it was fitted as standard and is now missing - then you need it back on. i.e. if you changed bumpers but didn't refit the washers then its a fail.

or if you fit something after purchase then you need to make sure it meets guidlines i.e. if you fit HIDS to a car that didn't have them then it must also come with self levelling units and washers for the headlights.

this to me means, that if your car has HID from the factory, but doesn't have washers because its a grey import then its fine as the equipment isn;t missing, it was never fitted in the first place.

i think that makes sense :shrug:

"inappropriately repaired or modified components and electrical wiring"

would my D1 spec get through that??

sounds like a busy job for mr m.o.t man checking all that out god knows how much a standard m.o.t will cost now :scare:

£55, the same it always does. They're not allowed to charge any more than that, clicky me for the proper list.

D1 spec? Do you mean the accelerator pedal sensitivity adjuster thing? That'll be fine, or you could just unplug it for the hour if you're that worried. :)

What about the race logic tcs? For that and a few more chabal won't pass his mot :surrender:

What if the mot is due late April but I take it at the earliest date I am allowed? Or even earlier? ;)

My MoT due in late Feb, a week after due date of baby - so taking mine in next weekend - no problem getting it done much earlier :thumbs: often its good when selling a car to stick it through an MoT, 'usually' cheap and easy to do and adds a bit more to the sell capability of it.

Why would the Racelogic stuff not pass MOT? Has it been wired in dangerously?

No it hasn't but it affects the ESP as it changes the way it works....then again it doesn't interfere unless I deactivate the standard ESP ... I may be ok ... But I ve got lots of other little things that could be picked up now ... Don't forget there is only the seats standard in my zed... For now ;):blush:

Interesting reading. Sounds like the MOT man is in for a busier time.

At least they are now clarifying the catalytic converter subject. As we discovered on another thread on here a few months back, the current legislation's dont require you to have a cat on your car, its purely done on emmisions. Now they are saying if the car had one originally then you have to have one to pass an MOT. So de-cats are out, but hfc`s should be okay if the emmisions are fine.

God knows how im going to get my track car through its MOT, the seats are bolted in. I notice the wording on this area said it has to have 2 or 3 adjustment positions - so maybe I could weld up a bracket or something to allow for that. But the safety harness vs tensioner thing may be harder to do.

I think i`ll wait until I see the actual legislation wording to see how it can be interpretted.

One thing thats Pi**ing me off is the inclusion of stability control/esp in the test. I have an Altea with the ESP light permanently on. It will be 5 years old in April and will have covered just over 33K. Apparently it is a costly item, and it is also a very common fault with the VAG cars of that age/era.

If Im told its an MOT failure Ill happily spen £1600 suing the dealer for selling goods not fit for purpose. There is no way in hell a component that critical should be failing that early in a cars life/mileage.

Just google - ESP light on permanently, look how many VW/Audi/Seat refferences come up on the first page. Its a MASSIVE problem and VW know about it. They just havent been brought to book on it. Im surprised its not been on the news/watchdog and the like, given the massive uproar about other manufacturers recalls earlier last year.

Mine will be fun then -

Airbags removed - Check

Cats removed - Check

Head light washers removed - Check

My only thought is you could buy a car now (like mine) with 11 months MOT that will not pass its next MOT!

Ho Humm - lets see waht happens :)