Electronic Exhaust Valve

stillracing

Afternoon chaps. Have been meaning to make a first post after having a 350 for quite a while now...This seems as good a reason as any!

Follow the link to see what I'm on about. Essentially my exhaust setup includes the standard system, and a side exit. I bought another mid pipe to modify and have an electronic valve installed which is able to open or close flow to the side exit. The side exit joins the mid pipe in front of the mid silencer, so it's only cats giving restriction/noise suppression.

The video is with standard cats, but I have since fitted Berk HFC's. The noise is B) as you might expect. Measured volume the other day and was 121dB at a distance of 1metre :teeth:

I've got a few other interesting things to contribute in the near future, forgive any geeky stuff as I'm a motorsport designer/vehicle dynamicist lol.

Rob

Yeah I guess the side exit is causing the resonance although I can't really see why as the valve is right in the side of the mid-pipe so the volume is almost identical (when the valve is shut). Presumably standard exhaust setups don't have that resonance, but I can't remember! It isn't ideal as you say.

As for the noise I would have liked a well balanced exhaust system, but I don't really think the VQ35DE is well tuned enough to make a nice noise anyway (not compared to, say an NSX

). Either way having it switch-able is pretty handy.

Yes HFC's were from Tarmac. Nice items and 3kg lighter each than standard :scare:

Meant to say that the side exit gave a minor gain in torque and therefore power; up ~10Nm and ~5bhp on peaks at the engine (albeit measured on a rolling road).