I'm such an idiot!

SparksCW

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that will need a new rear quarter panel,

probably looking about £150-£250 for a second hand one,

its not a bolt on panel so it will need to be cut off and the new one re welded. probably looking about 3 hours work £30 an hour so a rough estimate of about £90-£120 for the welding.

and then the panel will need respraying as will the door. looking at about £300-£400 for the rear quarter and about the same for the door.

total cost of repair between £850-£1200 if that helps give you a rough idea. prices vary alot depending on who you go to and where in the country you are. and if you get mates rates or not.

if you mate is doing it and you only need to pay for materials then you might get away with £300-£400 personally this is what your insurance is for, so if your excess isn't ridiculously high, then I'd be contacting my insurer.

Man that looks like some serious damage there. Very nasty.

But we all do silly things sometimes.

No 1 on my silly list has to be trying to bump start a motorbike at 4am on my patio when im half asleep. The bike started up full throttle and dragged me along side of it flat out towards the back of my house. Luckily (?) it then piled into the wall so not only did i have scrape marks down my legs from being dragged along, I was smashed into the wall and then the bike then fell on me. Hell of a bang, all bodywork smashed in, front forks bent and my neighbour looking at me from his upstairs window wondering what the hell id done. I say it was "lucky" that it smashed into the wall, as had it been 1 foot to the left it would have smashed through my patio doors, gone across my living room before smashing into my 42" plasma & hifi system. I would not fancy trying to explain that one to the insurance company.

Ive never bump started a bike since.

No 1 on my silly list has to be trying to bump start a motorbike at 4am on my patio when im half asleep. The bike started up full throttle and dragged me along side of it flat out towards the back of my house. Luckily (?) it then piled into the wall so not only did i have scrape marks down my legs from being dragged along, I was smashed into the wall and then the bike then fell on me. Hell of a bang, all bodywork smashed in, front forks bent and my neighbour looking at me from his upstairs window wondering what the hell id done. I say it was "lucky" that it smashed into the wall, as had it been 1 foot to the left it would have smashed through my patio doors, gone across my living room before smashing into my 42" plasma & hifi system. I would not fancy trying to explain that one to the insurance company.

Daym... :blackeye:

Haha that's quite funny actually! I've jump started bikes many a time (had an R6 with a flat battery I used to bump start for weeks, why I didn't just buy a new battery I will never know!!) and whilst I've never messed it up myself i can see how it can go wrong really easily!!

I am taking the car to my mates bodyshop early this week, I think I am going to end up asking him to fix it as best he possibly can and I'll get the panel replaced when I have more monies. Anyone know where I can get a BIG sticker from? haha. Maybe I'll get him to repair it up then vinyl the rear quater with some funky design to distract from the damage :lol:

At least this answers my "shall i sell it?" question now ;)

Ouch...

I must say it pains me to see a Zed in such a state.

Insurance shouldn't write it off it's a 1500 quid job or 2k to the insurance company nodoubt. Car still has a trade value of 5k or so I'd imagine. Never a write off.

If you're going to be paying your mate to help you out with it then surely its worth just paying the excess and getting it back perfect and brand new looking

Haha that's quite funny actually! I've jump started bikes many a time (had an R6 with a flat battery I used to bump start for weeks, why I didn't just buy a new battery I will never know!!) and whilst I've never messed it up myself i can see how it can go wrong really easily!!

I am taking the car to my mates bodyshop early this week, I think I am going to end up asking him to fix it as best he possibly can and I'll get the panel replaced when I have more monies. Anyone know where I can get a BIG sticker from? haha. Maybe I'll get him to repair it up then vinyl the rear quater with some funky design to distract from the damage :lol:

At least this answers my "shall i sell it?" question now ;)

Yeah at least it was my "shed" bike and not my R1.

To be honest, it may work out cheaper for your mate to just repair it properly. He could spend hours pulling the dent out with a slide hammer and filling it, trying to get the curve of the arch right, then painting, when it may be quicker just to use a nibbler to nibble the damaged panel out and re weld a new one in.

Either way, see what he says. As others have said, if its going to be too much cash, id start to consider getting the insurance company involved, but not unless I really had to. My missus made a claim last year and her insurance went up by so much the following year that she had to sell her car and buy a cheaper one.

To be honest, it may work out cheaper for your mate to just repair it properly. He could spend hours pulling the dent out with a slide hammer and filling it, trying to get the curve of the arch right, then painting, when it may be quicker just to use a nibbler to nibble the damaged panel out and re weld a new one in.

Either way, see what he says. As others have said, if its going to be too much cash, id start to consider getting the insurance company involved, but not unless I really had to. My missus made a claim last year and her insurance went up by so much the following year that she had to sell her car and buy a cheaper one.

I've just had a chat with him over the phone and he said pretty much what you said, he'll have a look but may/probably will be a case of cutting the damaged section out and welding a new section in, either way he's only charging for paint as he owes me a massive favour after I bailed his business out earlier in the year. ;) which is why I'm considering getting a spoiler and front splitters at the same time to get my monies worth :lol:

I've just had a chat with him over the phone and he said pretty much what you said, he'll have a look but may/probably will be a case of cutting the damaged section out and welding a new section in, either way he's only charging for paint as he owes me a massive favour after I bailed his business out earlier in the year. ;) which is why I'm considering getting a spoiler and front splitters at the same time to get my monies worth :lol:

Good to hear its on the mend. Get the goodies on while the paint gun is still out :thumbs:

Excellent, sounds like you may have a result then. One thing is for sure you will be paranoid now about parking anywhere!

Excellent, sounds like you may have a result then. One thing is for sure you will be paranoid now about parking anywhere!

You should have seen me trying to park my van this morning :lol::lol: paranoid is an understatement, I'm sure it'll pass though, just one of them things!

Wasnt there a topic on here not so long ago about parking sensors,wont mention,horse,bolt or stable door? ;)

Confused? But I hit the side of the car not the rear, I have a reverse parking camera and managed to park fine it just seems I have trouble leaving parking spaces :lol:

Like i said in my last post, i'd order a replacement rear quarter from some one like zmanalex or R35LEE or see if you can find one from a breakers yard, or even on ebay,

it will be far easier for your body shop to just cut off and then re weld a new panel on than it would be to try and fix that. especially if you can get one for a reasonable price.

and if you're only paying for materials then your looking at about £250-£300 including the panel. and if they are going to the effort of mixing paint up then its the perfect time to get other things painted.

Just been to see my bodyshop friend, seems I'll be spending a bit of money!

He says he can repair the panel, it's not as bad as he thought from the picture, he did say it will take a lot of effort and most body shops would prefer to change the panel but he's going to see what he can do.

I'm also going to have a N1 bodykit fitted with rear spoiler, and my door handles painted black :DB)

Just need to price up the bodykit and find the paint code for sunset orange, any ideas?

Yeah might as well be positive! Forgot to say my front bumper is going to be resprayed too as it seems it was resprayed in the past and not the best job in the world! He did say it's probably going to take him about a month as he has to fit it in around his proper work but I don't mind too much as it is winter etc!

Think I might finally fit my reverse sensors and get a stubby aerial whilst I'm at it!

p.s I don't think I'll have any money left for petrol once it's done :lol: but the paint work is being done for cost so I'd be stupid not to get the bodykit fitted all in all it should work out to about £200 more than what my insurance excess is (£500) anyway so I'm not losing out too much and getting far more for my money.