Newbie.

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum, I'm hoping to be a Z owner very soon so may be the first of many!

I have read all the JDM stickies and FAQs (very useful and informative) and I was hoping to get a few opinions on a car I'm considering buying tomorrow... It is: a 2003 JDM 350z with a claimed 35,000 miles. Looks in immaculate condition but the only UK documentation it has is 3 UK MOT certificates, apparently due to the fact that it has only covered 10K miles in the Uk and the owner has serviced is himself. The dealer is asking £6995, should I stay well away or maybe go in with a lower offer?

Any help would be much appreciated, Oliver - sorry for hijacking your thread, didn't think my question warranted a whole bew topic!

Thanks, Jimmy.

Hi Jay, Vik, thanks for the welcome!

You car looks gorgeous Jay but it's about a grand out of my budget unfortunately, plus I was planning to start from scratch and do a few tasteful mods of my own. Your car is pretty much the finished article as far as I can tell, I really like the carbon fibre detail to the interior I may have to nick that idea when I've got my very own Z...

Vik - yeah the dealer has a few receipts the the UK owner supplied for the occasional part replacement and oil etc but no actual service history from a garage. The car was imported in 2008 with 45,000km on the clock which seems believable but they reckon the UK owner has only done 7,000 miles in 3 years which seems a bit fishy! They have an HPI certificate so is there anything you would advise me to look out for to ensure the car is genuine?

Thanks again!

Hello Keyser, ZMANALEX :wave:

That's reassuring, I'm taking a tame mechanic with me tomorrow to give it a thorough going over so hopefully he will pick up on any potential money pits lurking a few months down the line.

In your experience, are there any areas I should be asking him to pay particular attention to?

Assuming the mileage is genuine, I thought £6.5K would be about the money for the car...

Wes - valid point and if I had 10k I'd definitely be looking at UK cars! My budget is unfortunately only about 7K and for that money the only UK cars are 80,000+ miles.

Also, I noticed a lot of guys mentioning Nurrish Sat Navs, is he still active on the site and producing these? It's something I'd be keen to replace if I do get the JDM Zed tomorrow...

Hello Keyser, ZMANALEX :wave:

That's reassuring, I'm taking a tame mechanic with me tomorrow to give it a thorough going over so hopefully he will pick up on any potential money pits lurking a few months down the line.

In your experience, are there any areas I should be asking him to pay particular attention to?

Assuming the mileage is genuine, I thought £6.5K would be about the money for the car...

Clicky axles...although not necessrily a money pit ...usual suspension components...check fans are kicking in properly - seems a more common issue on the JDMs. Gearbox notchiness is common - but if you have to hammer it home - walk away... check for clutch slipage. Exhaust - common corrosion point at rear box joint.

TBH - think if its standard even for the mileage is a bit overpriced IMHO - especially without history or import docs :shrug: These are your negotiation points ;)

;)

Vik - my thoughts exactly regarding the price. I'll probably go in at 6k with an absolute limit of 6.5 and see how it goes.

Thanks so much for all your assistance everyone, fingers crossed I can hammer them down and I'll be taking the Zed out for its inaugural drive tomorrow afternoon! :teeth: