To uprev or not

Dicky

My old heads spinning :wacko: having read lots of uprev reports and I cant decide which way to jump as I’d hate to spend £400+ for minimal gains as the old piggy bank's a bit stretched just now :scare:

Some reports seem to be positive and others not so positive. Most seem to report a smoother performance, sharper throttle response, more pulling power through the gears (does that mean it feels faster and goes faster in mid range) Others seem a bit disappointed.

Can those who have had uprev done for some time now honestly say they can still notice the difference or have you got used to the new feel?

Also has anyone had an uprev on a pre 2006 standard car with no mods, if so what’s your experience?

Thanks in advance, Dicky

I dont have it done, but most who are disapointed must be either chasing numbers or expecting a big increase like 50bhp which isnt likely.

Your mods dont do much until you have your car mapped for them. You also get some better mpgs.

This is IMO of course. :thumbs:

all depends on what your looking for, if your number chasing i'd do other mods first; if your just looking to improve the responsiveness of the car then get it done.

but if pennies are a bit tight this month i wouldn't rush into it. especially if you're going to drive it through the winter. i'd get through that first then see what the banks like after Christmas.

it will definitely have a positive effect on the car, but its never going to turn it in to a snarling beast. FI is the only thing to do that.

I was umming and urring and went for a D1 Spec Throttle Controller - works a treat and a much lower outlay :thumbs:

Alright it doesnt give the actual gear power increase blah blah blah, but it does cost a fraction of the price and helps get those revs up quicker (or slower in winter which will help!)

..............but its never going to turn it in to a snarling beast. FI is the only thing to do that.

B)

sorry dont have uprev not driven a Zed with it. I just liked that line, made me smile :thumbs:

If you're driving through the winter then winter tyres would be a much better investment and make a marked difference to handling, far more than UpRev will.

In my mind, UpRev (for 350z) is the icing on the cake as far as mods go. It will make sure the engine is running at optimum efficiency which gives you the best power and also maps the throttle for better response. It wont be night and day, but it will finish off any modding thats already been done. Theres a big list of things to do before UpRev IMO but it does complete a car nicely.

Hi,

I will post a totally stock car versus Uprev remap ASAP , we may have one in the original Uprev thread in our Abbey part of this forum.

Attached are th edyno plots but remember it isnt just full throttle that is greatly improved, the lower 3 gears the throttle reponse is greatly increased, fuel economy improved.

As your up North I am sure RS tuning will look after you.

Mark

I would say don't do it unless you're feeling flush. It results in a marginal improvement, probably 5% more power at best. It will feel a bit sharper the first couple of drives but then you get used to it and it just feels the same as it always did. It's a nice feeling to know that your car is running the best it can, but is it worth £400? Debatable, as this thread is proving!

Is it worth it?

Simple answer is yes.

Complicated answer is only once you have decided on exhaust mods and plenum spacer and intake options

If money is tight I would suggest a throttle controller too, I had one it cost me £120 I had it for 6 months and sold it for £100 so cheap option although pretty much redundant if you decide oj an upRev.

The D1 makes the car feel much more responsive and fun and can also be used to limit the throttle in bad weather too.

I would say don't do it unless you're feeling flush. It results in a marginal improvement, probably 5% more power at best. It will feel a bit sharper the first couple of drives but then you get used to it and it just feels the same as it always did. It's a nice feeling to know that your car is running the best it can, but is it worth £400? Debatable, as this thread is proving!

This is my main worry. If I’m honest I would like to know the car is operating at its optimum but also believe I'm hoping for something dramatic to be experienced, :drive1 typically, beating caterham cars off the lights, overhauling one of those boring 911's on the motorway while yawning :yawn: and checking how my shares are doing. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear as if any of that will happen. Might be better to wait till I’ve won the £100 million on the lottery then buy a second hand 911

Cheers Dicky

That's like anything though surely. You get a forged engine turbo it and run 600bhp in 6 months you will want more. As you will get used to the power.

IMO if nothing else your fuel is better and your AFR will be right so less to go wrong.

Not sure about impact on a dead stock engine - I had mine Upreved and had a new Y pipe fitted at the same time to get the flow better and to make better gains.

On the numbers front - this gave me 19.4 hp extra.

On the feelings front, it made a much bigger difference. I can remember feeling on my way home after the remap "This is how she was supposed to be" as the response was just so much crisper.

The improvement through the lower gears is very noticeable. I don't do much 'burning away at the lights' as that feels too boy-racer but coming off a roundabout in 2nd and giving her the throttle she just lights up under your foot and the thrust . . .ahem (Sorry, nurse says . . . .stop it, Ian, you know how it's bad for you when you get like that)

Would I recommend it - Yes.

I can't say anything about RS tuning - when I want my girl modified, I drive the 250 miles to Abbey as I've been very pleased with the way they do things and the work. (And the marmite on toast, too)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44617 - my comments were about 7 down on page 1

Mate it sounds to me like your only planning on doing this once, if that's the case I'd wait till u add any other mods that'll help ur performance, that way you'll get a little more bang for your buck.

I think I'm in a similar situation to you, I've decided to save a few ( ok mabye a few more than that) extra pennies for a plenum spacer and possibly some HFCs first. I think I'll probably opt for a throttle controller in the interim simply because resale value is good and you'll not hurt the car or your pocket to do it.

I have had my car nearly 4 years, always wanted a uprev but never bothered.

Alot of members have had it done and close mates who I have had track day's with and honestly not really noticed the differnce for me to rush out and part with my cash. Always been happy with how the car performs as it is :)