Times when you just wish you had a Z...

AMT

The 'inner child' came out yesterday.... lol Coming home from buying some dear petrol a Focus ST sat behind me, nothing wrong with it, just sitting there. Coming up to a dual carridgeway, I noticed peeking out from behind the Focus... an Astra VXR... got to the carridgeway and both shot past me (obviously...) like bullets. I'm not one to fart about, but I will on occasion still like to put the foot down (hey im only 25, got a lot to learn :shrug::blush: ). I just sat n' thought, wonder by how much the Zed would be away from them had I been in one and planted the right foot?? Anyone any experience (whether on a track like crail or something) of how much faster a Z is?. I've seen a vid of a Z pulling away from a Type R civic and it... fairly nukes it. But what about ST's and VXRs which have a bit more over the 200bhp side. Is 40-60bhp enough to show (ahem) them the right way? B) As you may tell I respect but I am not a fan of hot hatches, by which I mean I'd rather buy something that looks special enough, not just a focus or astra with a paint scheme :p

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What?! :shrug::lol: lol Whats with the tears and burning?? I would assume it would beat them, just curious as to how much. I like detail :dry: lol I'm buying a Zed to be special, but for the type of car, I would expect it to (for stock purposes)... pass the hatchbacks on the left hand side (music reference :p )... and be done. :drive1

it wouldn't pass and win by as much as you think. modern hot hatches are very quick even in stock terms.

add a bit of wet weather and a twisty B road and you might find they'll leave the zed behind, as for the type R yes in a straight line drag the zed has more torque. but stick the 2 on a track (especially one with lots of bends a not many straights) and that type R will be right up your jaxy all the way round.

but agreed i would rather turn up to an event or occassion in the zed or something like minded. than in a bright coloured hot wheels toy car.

If they caught you off guard and not in the exact right gear and they were on boost you wouldn't catch them.

The Z isn't that fast, it's heavier than pretty much all modern hatchbacks.

As far as I know the Z is around 195 bhp/tonne, and I'm sure the VXR and ST are around that figure as well.

If they caught you off guard and not in the exact right gear and they were on boost you wouldn't catch them.

The Z isn't that fast, it's heavier than pretty much all modern hatchbacks.

As far as I know the Z is around 195 bhp/tonne, and I'm sure the VXR and ST are around that figure as well.

^^^This. They've got loads of mid-range torque which means that once they're moving they're like sh*t off a shovel. Where you would leave them behind (assuming equal drivers) is the corners.

Hmm we like the replies, cheers guys! My mates got an 06 ST, its fairly rapid. Sounds not far off the same exhaust note as the Z either lol. But yeah thats the main point, I'd rather have something that looks different than have to squint, look hard and go.. oh yeah, twin exhausts... side skirt, must be a type R, ST... VXR is a bit more noticible but I mean c'mon... an Astra... does anyone lust for an Astra? :yuck: lol. Interior is horrid. And I mean the design, no piano black can hide a slab sided dash. Sure I'm after the 2005 Zed, where its not exactly...luxurious... but the point is... the shape, the way it curves down into the transmission tunnel that goes behind your seats into the speaker/glovebox thing. Is it just me or to have a sporty car means should have a tunnel in the middle? lol I like that sort of thing lol :) Anyway I'm glad I asked hehe, its fast enough to keep most things at bay, which is fine and even if your not...planting the foot, you can sit satisfied knowing your in something special indeed. :thumbs: *sigh* hurry up winter/xmas and bugger off.... :snack:

The tunnel is purely for the gearbox and propshaft to the rear axle, every RWD/4WD car has one to some extent, doesn't make it a sporty car though.

The ST will sound similar as it's a 5 pot, not a bad sounding engine with a cat back exhaust either.

What people are trying to say, is those guys could of spent under £1k on their ST or VXR on an exhaust system and air filter and pulled away from you. Standard vs Standard they are pretty even in terms of being "Rapid" (in your terms of course :lol: ) the Z isn't about full on straight line performance and never was intended to be as standard.

it wouldn't pass and win by as much as you think. modern hot hatches are very quick even in stock terms.

add a bit of wet weather and a twisty B road and you might find they'll leave the zed behind, as for the type R yes in a straight line drag the zed has more torque. but stick the 2 on a track (especially one with lots of bends a not many straights) and that type R will be right up your jaxy all the way round.

but agreed i would rather turn up to an event or occassion in the zed or something like minded. than in a bright coloured hot wheels toy car.

high power fwd and wet weather doesnt mix either. You will get more grip in a rwd in a straight line.

I have had both and still have the ST

350ZLASTEVER042.jpg

How she looks now.

114.jpg

Mine is running 309BHP with 425lb/ft, Although its more now as i have fitted a forge actuator with yellow spring and a forge recirculation valve, so prob close to 330BHP with 460lb/ft.

Its a rapid machine, but with being 2wd it does struggle a little off the line but when you are going its amazing what you can leave for dead.

Very cheap to mod, gone from 225BHP to 309BHP for under 2k, which would cost you about 12k in the Z to get 80BHP, I miss my 350 dearly but the modded ST is a more than capable of the same thrills.

Next mod is an uprated Clutch, LSD and then I will be able to put the power down. Will be looking for some Brembos at some point too. When i win the lottery!

The 'inner child' came out yesterday.... lol Coming home from buying some dear petrol a Focus ST sat behind me, nothing wrong with it, just sitting there. Coming up to a dual carridgeway, I noticed peeking out from behind the Focus... an Astra VXR... got to the carridgeway and both shot past me (obviously...) like bullets. I'm not one to fart about, but I will on occasion still like to put the foot down (hey im only 25, got a lot to learn :shrug::blush: ). I just sat n' thought, wonder by how much the Zed would be away from them had I been in one and planted the right foot?? Anyone any experience (whether on a track like crail or something) of how much faster a Z is?. I've seen a vid of a Z pulling away from a Type R civic and it... fairly nukes it. But what about ST's and VXRs which have a bit more over the 200bhp side. Is 40-60bhp enough to show (ahem) them the right way? B) As you may tell I respect but I am not a fan of hot hatches, by which I mean I'd rather buy something that looks special enough, not just a focus or astra with a paint scheme :p

Don't get blinded by factory BHP figures.

Your after an 05 zed which has a reported 276 bhp from the factory. A lot of older cars have been dyno's and been shown to be running significantly less than that (circa 240 bhp). Add the zeds weight into the equation againt a 1300kg FWD hot hatch and any race is going to be a lot closer than you'd think.

Don't buy a zed because you think your gonna be king of the local Traffic Light Grand Prix's. If that's your bag, buy an Evo.

:cry: I'm not after being king of the hill, but I do want it (due to its type) to at least be able to keep most things at bay. I'm just trying to think of all the options. I want a sports car, love the low down feel (when I sit in a hatchback now I feel like im sitting on a skyscraperlol). Gonna' be using the train to work next year during snowy periods and quite willing to do so just to have this car. Theres no other sports cars with the classic look that I can buy for about 10K with reasonable mileage that will be not bad realible wise. (correct me or suggest if im wrong please! lol)

And yep I have thought about that aswell, the fact that its older and will have lost a good bit of horsepower... hum. I really don't want a hot hatch ..even though sense for what I want points in that direction. :thumbdown: I did ...breifly think about ST and Type R. what are they like in the snow?? Anyone? Apparently even Audi's that are high power FWD, with big wheels are a bit of a struggle in thw winter. Prob make me feel better if they were crap too lol. Any suggestions (although I'm still firmly keeping my feet in Z teritory), what else could I get?? (at least 200bhp, up to max 35K miles, about 11-12K'ish...as I'd bring a dealer down a bit :p )..... This gets harder the closer it gets to getting a new car. :shrug:

Cheers for the help guys! :)

AMT250, my experiance was with a modded VXR on a Motor way and he left me for dead! to be fair to the vauxhall they are very rapid cars once mapped. but they do not like corners.

Unfortunately due to being NA and heavy!! the Z will come up second to most modded turbo'd cars even if they are slightly tuned.

But nothing looks as good as the Z. i can remember driving behind a new Aston Martin we drove past a bunch of young lads they all looked at me :p which was very nice, but felt like stopping an asking if they new what was in front lol

i found the Type r fine in the snow. but my Z was terrible! lol I got stuck in my wife's mum road because of 0.1 hill. or slight raise in the road haha last winter. 2 fellas had to come and push me up lol!

Hum, just went and looked at autotrader for "confirmation" so to speak. Focus ST... crap look inside,no cruise control (wht I like it and use it ok? lol). Type R, like the interior, not so keen on the outside... its like a ball, with very little room actually for 'noticible' changes to make it a type R, you don't notice the skirts etc as much. Vauxhall, boy racer looks to the max :drive1 , horrid interior.

Jesus I might just save a bit more, blow a mild hole in the budget and go for an 08' :unsure: ... should still have decent power, hopefully none of the 06-07 oil problem rubbish I'm so scared to buy one for :( . But jesus the tax and insurance jumps so high... all because of 20bhp :dry: .. grr. I'm determined little son of a gun. I don't want a holiday, I don't want to spend it on other things I just want a nice car lol. I did see a guy in Uddingston in blue kick about in the winter, when it was slushly, so must still be driveable. :shrug: Just when it gets really icey and snow lies? lol. Your right though, they look special compared to most and I think thats what I'm clinging too.

cheers for the reply! :)

yes defo still drivable my in laws live in Bristol and im in Chester so i managed to drive there in a blizzard! only middle lane was drivable lol.

i know what you mean about the VXR very very chavy which is a shame about alot of vauxhalls i like the astra g, gsi but too chavy to own.

you will not be disappointed! with a Z at all! :)

have you thought of supra's and skylines etc

Hum, just went and looked at autotrader for "confirmation" so to speak. Focus ST... crap look inside,no cruise control (wht I like it and use it ok? lol). Type R, like the interior, not so keen on the outside... its like a ball, with very little room actually for 'noticible' changes to make it a type R, you don't notice the skirts etc as much. Vauxhall, boy racer looks to the max :drive1 , horrid interior.

Jesus I might just save a bit more, blow a mild hole in the budget and go for an 08' :unsure: ... should still have decent power, hopefully none of the 06-07 oil problem rubbish I'm so scared to buy one for :( . But jesus the tax and insurance jumps so high... all because of 20bhp :dry: .. grr. I'm determined little son of a gun. I don't want a holiday, I don't want to spend it on other things I just want a nice car lol. I did see a guy in Uddingston in blue kick about in the winter, when it was slushly, so must still be driveable. :shrug: Just when it gets really icey and snow lies? lol. Your right though, they look special compared to most and I think thats what I'm clinging too.

cheers for the reply! :)

TBH it sounds like you dont want a zed. they are pretty slow and I think you would be disapointed.

The Z isn't about all out power, its more about the whole packadge. Looks, comfort, running costs, reliabilty, performance nothing else comes close for the price. My current car (335i) is rated at 306BHP but is significantly faster than the Z in a straight line, but it doesn't give me the same feeling of occasion I got every time I sat in the Z. Infact most of my friends who aren't into cars don't understand why I've swapped such a nice looking sports car for a dull looking BMW :lol:

Don't get tempted by the FWD hatches, the Z is a much better choice.

i found the running costs very high, I was spending at least £500 every single month on fuel alone lol.

and to OP it really depends on what you want from a car. looks/performance-straight line/ performance twisty's/ comfort etc etc.

FWD hatches are fun quick and practical. RWD very fun! can be practicable and can be quick. then there's 4wd. there's so much choice !! out there

One thing to think about if this is fun car, is how you like your power delivery. Having gone from a 400+bhp rear wheel drive car, to a Focus ST and now the 350z, I find the Z has a really smooth power delivery which can be a little deceptive, it doesnt feel as fast as it is, it's quite linear in its power delivery. If you want something that will thump you in the back and "feel" fast, you'd be better off with something rear wheel drive that has a turbo, plus you have the benefit that these tend very very easy to tune for the most part with minimal outlay.

At home we now have the Z and a Seat Leon Cupra R, I can honestly say the both of these cars are very good, neither has a massive advantage in terms of outright speed, but they are massively different in the way they drive, the Cupra and the ST are great front wheel drive scrabble wagons, but you feel like your driving an excitable puppy that's always straining on its leash yapping all the time, the Z is far more composed, it'll do everything the ST and Cupra can (and some) but with much less dramma, although like any big dog if you poke it with a stick, it'll still bite you :D

Personally I think the Z looks better than any hot hatch ever could, it sounds better, and it's a much nicer place to be than most of the cars I've ever owned or driven, it may not be the fastest car ever built, but it makes me smile every single time I turn the key.

I get to choose which keys to pick up every morning, and eight times out of ten I pick up the Z keys (the other times I'm half asleep and pick up the wrong ones...).

TBH it sounds like you dont want a zed. they are pretty slow and I think you would be disapointed.

No, no I dooo, god I really do, its just my head vs heart scenario lol. I usually go with the heart... And pretty slow?? I wouldn't call 5.5-5.9 secs to 60 slow in any terms, I mean, its not in supercar or higher sportscar teritory like XK's etc... but thats pretty fast to me lol.

I was spending at least £500 every single month on fuel alone

What were you doing?? lol You can get better than that from a Z lol

it'll do everything the ST and Cupra can (and some) but with much less dramma, although like any big dog if you poke it with a stick, it'll still bite you

I like this quote... I'm kinda after that, something that can still dance but will settle down when I'm just wanting to chill lol. And from the test drives I've had, its an easy goer' with hidden muscle lol. I think my heads still in the right direction... following behind my heart haha :thumbs:

No, no I dooo, god I really do, its just my head vs heart scenario lol. I usually go with the heart... And pretty slow?? I wouldn't call 5.5-5.9 secs to 60 slow in any terms, I mean, its not in supercar or higher sportscar teritory like XK's etc... but thats pretty fast to me lol.

From my experience... 0-60 in the Zed takes a LOT longer than 6 seconds. More like EIGHT in real life!!!

Someone going to tell me I am driving her wrong? :blush:

But then again, the 0-60 times posted about cars are always way out (possible auto-box is an exeption)

To get the times you see the tester's WRECK the cars.