Thinking of selling my RX8 for a 350Z! Advice!!

Offerman

Hi Guys,

I am in a bit of a predicament - I've been scouring the forum for a good few months now, and although I see the question asked a fair few times I can't really find the answer I want about upgrading to a 350Z from my current Mazda RX8.

I am looking to purchase a 350Z and the buying guides on this forum have been invaluable on what to look for, i.e checking the diff is sound and not making any odd noises, checking for uneven tire wear, service history...etc. However what I cannot find is any areas of the 350Z that need careful scrutiny before purchasing to avoid a huge bill later.

I ask, because I have been a member of the RX8 forum for good few years, and have owned an RX8 for two years, and as I bet many of you will know the RX8 although often compared to the 350Z has an entire list of pitfalls which need consideration, i.e low compression, CAT issues, poor service history...and although the Wankel is a different beast to the V6, both cars are often compared as rather similar (again something I personally don't understand).

So leading on from the above point I am looking to test drive a 08' 350Z this weekend, but before I do I'd like any comments from people that have driven both cars on what to expect. Is the extra 70BHP going to be noticeable? Again, I have had comments that the two cars have comparable performance, but again I can't see how this can be. The 350Z seems more focused, less compromising (which is always good), and generally a better car for somebody that doesn’t need four doors or four seats? But people often counter argue with the fact that the 350 is heavier, and slightly less nimble.

Before my RX8 I had a Fabia vRS with a stage 2 upgrade which had huge amounts of torque and low down power, and I really feel the rotary’s lack of torque makes driving it hard sometimes more of a chore then a joy - and I'm hoping the low-down power of the 350’s V6 will bring this back.

Is this a typical scenario where you really have to drive it yourself to make up your mind.

Your thoughts on the matter would be most appreciated.

Hello and Welcome :wave:

+1 on what Martin said - an 08 should be sound - usual things service history etc.

Can't comment on the 70hp test drive one then you'll be sure :thumbs:

Good luck with the hunt :thumbs:

Hi mate, I had an 04 RX-8 before my zed and my only regret is why did I wait so long!

As you've said I don't see much to compare other that it's a front engine RWD well powered car. I had the 231 RX-8 and although it seemed fun, for 231bhp it seemed pretty gutless and found my self really having to rev the knackers off it to find some performance! In short when you test the Zed it will be a no brainer!

Never driven a RX8 but the power band sounds rather like the S2000 which I did try prior to my first 350 purchase.

I expect you will find the RX8/350 like chalk and cheese in the way the power is delivered - far more torque lower down the rev band and therefore easy to drive in traffic and without even flooring it you will see why we go around with these :D on our mugs :lol:

Hi mate, I had an 04 RX-8 before my zed and my only regret is why did I wait so long!

As you've said I don't see much to compare other that it's a front engine RWD well powered car. I had the 231 RX-8 and although it seemed fun, for 231bhp it seemed pretty gutless and found my self really having to rev the knackers off it to find some performance! In short when you test the Zed it will be a no brainer!

Couldn't agree more...i test drove a Zed and RX8 PZ back to back and can honestly say i've never been so dissapointed in a car....totally and utterly gutless, i wasn't expecting it to knock spots of the Zed but i was cetainly expecting more than it delivered, I pressed the loud peddle and after what seemed an eternity it made some progress but it was such a let down after the Zed.

Check for full service history, i was lucky in that mine was a private sale but had just been serviced and had a 2 year extended warrenty so I've got no real worries....touch wood.

Hi mate. I owned an Rx8 for two years prior to moving to the 350z. I agree there are a lot of other factors to consider when buying an Rx8. However with the 350...a check of the service history and a test drive should see you alright. Having owned the 350 for about six months I can understand why these cars are compared to each other. The 350 is just as nimble as the Rx8 so long as you take into account the extra power available through the rear and the power really does tell on the straight bits. I have to say I prefer the 350 due to the power delivery lower in the range always putting a smile on my face.

The only other point I have noted is the differences in fuel consumption between both cars. I expected the 350 to be just as heavy if not worse than the Rx8. However I was surprised to find that the 350 under normal use was returning 33MPG. Compare that to the mazda which was approx 19 MPG under the same conditions.

All things considered I have to say I was not dissapointed whith the 350.

Best of luck!!

Hello and welcome :wave:

I bought my 2007 Z a year ago so was in a similar boat; to state the obvious any car can go wrong at any time but as long as you take your time and follow the usual common sense precautions you'll be very unlucky to have any serious issues. Suspension components such as drop links/bushes etc are common albeit cheap to fix niggles but otherwise just check each car thoroughly and have a good listen; if in doubt there are plenty more out there that have been pampered by the likes of us!

I also test drove an Rx8; my friend and I were quite excited about it but without any disrespect to Rx8 owners it was a huge anticlimax. It was certainly nimble but lacked any excitement whatsoever, even right up the rev range, and the noise (IMO) was different but rather dull. The Z is a different animal, still poised and with good feedback, but altogether a far more exciting and visceral experience with a soundtrack to match. I also think it looks more stylish and purposeful and draws very positive attention.

Fuel is comparable if not better, servicing is reasonable, and this forum is a superb support network. BUY ONE, YOU WON'T REGRET IT :thumbs:

I had a RX8 for 4 years, pleasantly modded and owned from new. The RX8 is bags of fun, very nimble and very, very chuckable around the twisties. The TG track times are very similar, which can either mean something or nothing, I like to think that it represents the real world, bends and stuff. The 350 and the RX8 posted the same times, so they are similarly matched on a typical road.

Put some talent behind the wheel of an RX8 and a driver such as one with my ability in a 350 and there will only be one winner, not me!!

That said, the biggest reason, apart from a lack of updates and facelifts etc that convinced me to sell up was that the RX8 lacked one overwhelming factor, that was torque, but then again the wankle needs to be revved. For me the lack of torque was most evident on two occasions, going up Stelvio was one, another was when a 350 left me for dead, going backwards, felt like I was in a peddle car, on the straight.

The RX8, even the R3, has had it's day, well past it actually, the fuel consumption, depreciation, flooding etc.., and the lack of Mazda support together with pitching the car at blue collar levels meant that it was never going to be a classic.

I had tremendous fun and many happy memories in my RX8, but there are better cars out there and if you're not fussed by a two door, two seater, the 350 is a great car, bit dated now IMHO, but with a few tasteful mods, can be made to look very up to date.

Sadly, your RX8 is worth F all, so anytime is a good time to get rid.

Oh BTW, this club, as you've noticed, is free to all, unlike the RX OC and I don't have a 350, but a 370, an altogether different fish :thumbs:

Awesome!!

Well....I wasn’t expecting that many replies so quickly, and thanks very much for a very warm welcome!!

Everybody seems to have hit the nail on the head in terms of power delivery and torque which I was hoping to expect and hear, and again the pitching of the RX8 against blue collar workers, was, IMHO, a very bad move. Trying to find a decent one amongst the litany of neglected ones has obviously meant that they are worth nothing. Mine is a 2004 plate, and if I get £2,500 I’d be very happy, I’ve easily lost £5,000 on it over 2 years but it’s clear that the reasons for this are well understood on this forum. I am not so concerned about how little I’ll get for it, but more concerned by if somebody will even buy it.

I have a budget of £14,000 – so would you say this is reasonable for an 08/58 Zed, ideally with very low mileage??

Also, I can concur with the fuel consumption comment, I have heard many a story of people getting around 25-30mpg in the Zed, whilst I’ve never got better than 22mpg in my RX8, and this figure is so much harder to swallow when the performance has never really let me form a bond with the car.

Awesome!!

Well....I wasn’t expecting that many replies so quickly, and thanks very much for a very warm welcome!!

Everybody seems to have hit the nail on the head in terms of power delivery and torque which I was hoping to expect and hear, and again the pitching of the RX8 against blue collar workers, was, IMHO, a very bad move. Trying to find a decent one amongst the litany of neglected ones has obviously meant that they are worth nothing. Mine is a 2004 plate, and if I get £2,500 I’d be very happy, I’ve easily lost £5,000 on it over 2 years but it’s clear that the reasons for this are well understood on this forum. I am not so concerned about how little I’ll get for it, but more concerned by if somebody will even buy it.

I have a budget of £14,000 – so would you say this is reasonable for an 08/58 Zed, ideally with very low mileage??

Also, I can concur with the fuel consumption comment, I have heard many a story of people getting around 25-30mpg in the Zed, whilst I’ve never got better than 22mpg in my RX8, and this figure is so much harder to swallow when the performance has never really let me form a bond with the car.

'sidekickdmr' on here is selling a 2008 Temper Orange Z I think - looks stunning and should be on the money so may be worth a PM.

I chose an RX-8 over a 350Z in April 2010, and I regretted it pretty much straight after. I now have both and honestly the only thing the Mazda does better is practicality and chuckability. What it doesn't score so well in is everything else. Obviously you own one so you're aware that they are pretty much worthless now and the sort of people buying them haven't a clue about rotaries so be prepared for a tough sale. I've been trying to sell mine since the beginning of the year (after two different people left deposits and then disappeared) and I'd be lucky to see £3k for it even though it's a 231 54 plate with 46k miles.

It was a terrible decision to buy one as I've lost so much money on it, the Zed is better in nearly every way. With your budget you're bound to find a good one as well.

A budget of 14k is very healthy for a Zed, you could get a low mileage late model easily for that.

Personally I would look for a good slighty earlier model for around the £10k mark and have a healthy budget for mods, Exhaust etc.

There are some great examples for sale, a good friend of mine has a very well looked after one going for a song!

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=52802

As already mentioned you will love the 'grunt' it just makes you smile :teeth: Zeds are deceptively fast because the engine is basically a big lazy lump add a nice exhaust & induction kit and you have a heavenly soundtrack too :yahoo:

I had a beautiful low mileage 53 231ps RX8 at the turn of year with just 17 000 miles on the clock which I liked very much but I was sh*t scared to start it let alone drive it on the strength of reading the main RX8 forums!!

I traded it for a Mazda 6 MPS - which was one of the best motoring moves I have ever made as it is absolutely fabulous and is the classic wolf in sheeps clothing.

I have recently traded my Audi TT roadster with a 350Z forum member's 350Z roadster and I have to say the 350Z is superb.

So now I have a 350Z to compare with an RX8. Personally, I prefer Mazda's build quality and handling characteristics over the 350Z but the 350Z certainly sounds better and is a much more involving drive and so I am pleased to have it in my fleet.

Going forward I think 350Z prices will stabilise whereas there is a lot of evidence that RX8 prices are in freefall - but its not all about money is it?