Spotted DEATH on M1 between J4 and J5 tonight...

Adrian@TORQEN

On my way back from work, driving at about 40mph trough heavy rain (couldn't see more than 4-5m ahead to be honest), keeping up with the traffic and not speeding/overtaking at all on M1 northbound between J4 and J5 I lost control, probably because a flooded portion (skidding) which I did not see. From the offside lane turned spinning on the nearside lane and then towards the offside lane again, perpendicular.

Seen cars avoiding me (thank you very much ladies or/and gentlemen) for a fraction of a second which seemed to be 5 hours while I was preparing myself for the impact. Fortunately no impact, turned the hazard lights on and continued the journey safely home.

A bit like this chap but with a happier ending:

What an experience...

:sorry:

Glad to hear you and the car are safe. Thing is once you lose traction side ways that's it! I had the same but far luckier escape than Lexx. I actually thought I'd hit the tunnel wall entrance the noise was horrific. Luckily only my alloys were scraped it could have been a whole lot worse. What's the condition of your tyre's Adrian cos you shouldn't really be losing it at 40?

Falkens, lots of thread, yeah, it's the standing water, felt like I was on the ice rink...

i had pirelli Pzero on the jag but they were about 3mm tread left, in standing water the rear of the car would drift and go very light. not a nice feeling. have since put new tyres on.

Glad to hear you and the car are safe. Thing is once you lose traction side ways that's it! I had the same but far luckier escape than Lexx. I actually thought I'd hit the tunnel wall entrance the noise was horrific. Luckily only my alloys were scraped it could have been a whole lot worse. What's the condition of your tyre's Adrian cos you shouldn't really be losing it at 40?

I'll have a look again all round in the morning, but last time I've checked, about a week ago they were fine.

I think the cars are generally bad for it, running the same size tyres and wheels on my 200SX it isnt as bad, and with admittedly much narrower tyres my GTI-6 wont aquaplane, ever. :D

I do remember running my old 200 with worn 245 DO1J's trackday specials all round though, 15mm of standing water and you couldnt go above 30 mph :surrender:

Jesus, thats one serious brown trouser moment. Im dreading winter, last year was bad enough with a FWD, let alone the zed. I remember last year pulling onto a motorway and this M5 behind me pulled out to overtake me and just span it big time, he went spinning past me and into the crash barrier. Very scary stuff.

Glad you're okay mate, must have been seriously scary!

Jesus, thats one serious brown trouser moment. Im dreading winter, last year was bad enough with a FWD, let alone the zed. I remember last year pulling onto a motorway and this M5 behind me pulled out to overtake me and just span it big time, he went spinning past me and into the crash barrier. Very scary stuff.

And for that reason I won't sell my Audi just yet, for the 3 days of year the roads are a nightmare Quattro never fails me, the Nissan doesn't come out.