Sky Insurance + No Garage = Fail

spursmaddave

ah you see my postcode is a cooshdy one :teeth: i live on the right side of town B) apparently its about a 10k premium over other areas around me, top schools, nice area, low crime, and PD HQ round the corner, always lots of patrols out. :thumbs:

Apparently there is usually a beardy bloke on his drive polishing his Jag every weekend too :lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ah you see my postcode is a cooshdy one :teeth: i live on the right side of town B) apparently its about a 10k premium over other areas around me, top schools, nice area, low crime, and PD HQ round the corner, always lots of patrols out. :thumbs:

Apparently there is usually a beardy bloke on his drive polishing his Jag every weekend too :lol:

thats why the premiums are so low, no one messes around on my street B) , they think i'm a pimp or something :lol:

Also just had a ridiculous experience with Sky.

The Zed is insured elsewhere, myself & Mrs K, 15 years ncb each, both 50 this year, we have an old Volvo S60 T5 as the runabout, so we swop about when I work out of home, approx 2 days a week I use the Volvo. NCB earned on Porsche, Alfa gtv6 & a 350z for many many years. This has gone on for years, thousands paid in premiums, no losses. We have demonstrated consistently that we are a good risk.

Sky, we don't cover business use, eh!!!??? No quote!!!! Seems to me it's not about quoting bad risks anymore, just can't even quote for normal everyday sensible requirements. How old will I have to be before covered to go to work!!!!???

Just picking up on this, it doesn't sound right, we insure many people via our car club scheme with business use , myself included.

I am not sure what this issue was but if you would like to me to find out, please PM me your details.

Thanks

Ollie

Sky Insurance

It is a postcode lottery but what else do insurers have to go by?

Oooooo I dunno maybe base it on the risk profile of the individual rather than getting out the old tar brush?

How long have you lived there?

How long have you kept a car at that address?

Have you ever made a claim for theft, vandalism ETC?

Then again as we established last time.....the public at large can't be trusted to tell the truth apparently.

Slightly upsetting for you though Dave;

- No garage = no insurance

- garage = premium loaded as high risk of bashing your car in the garage

:lol:

You forgot 'driveway' and just to be clear, we ([sky] via our scheme underwriters) would most definitely NOT load your premium for keeping the car in a garage, when I answered you last week I made it quite clear that some insurers will load but not all.

No you didn't your response was;

If you saw claim stats from cars kept in garages then you'd understand. There are many claims from people who damage their car driving in and out of the garage or damage it whilst keeping it in the garage.

You did say this though;

Not all insurers load for on-fault claims in fact only a minority do in my experience.

Which given that of the top 10 quotes I received 9 of them increased based on a 'non-fault' claim........and as it turns out (according to an existing policy holder) so do Sky.........it appears to be as much of a minority as a redneck at NASCAR I'd say :shrug:

Would you like me to put this back in the shed for you?

spade.jpg

Oooooo I dunno maybe base it on the risk profile of the individual rather than getting out the old tar brush?

Then again as we established last time.....the public at large can't be trusted to tell the truth apparently.

You forgot 'driveway' and just to be clear, we ([sky] via our scheme underwriters) would most definitely NOT load your premium for keeping the car in a garage, when I answered you last week I made it quite clear that some insurers will load but not all.

If you saw claim stats from cars kept in garages then you'd understand. There are many claims from people who damage their car driving in and out of the garage or damage it whilst keeping it in the garage.

You did say this though;

Not all insurers load for on-fault claims in fact only a minority do in my experience.

Which given that of the top 10 quotes I received 9 of them increased based on a 'non-fault' claim........and as it turns out (according to an existing policy holder) so do Sky.........it appears to be as much of a minority as a redneck at NASCAR I'd say :shrug:

spade.jpg

Tears in my eyes

I fail to see that living in a brand new housing development that hasn't even finished being built yet can render uninsurable just because of the Post Code.

It doesnt. They are still building parts of our developement and we can get insurance.

For those interested I had a quick Google and this is top of the list - http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/ca ... -list.html

Pretty much all of Basingstoke is an A (lowest risk). Also states that cars/bikes in certain areas will require the owner to have them garaged. ;)

Once you guys are done sorting out the car insurance risk model, maybe you can take a crack at weather predition, they are pretty crap at that too :lol:

Once you guys are done sorting out the car insurance risk model, maybe you can take a crack at weather predition, they are pretty crap at that too :lol:

I don't think the industry would like my insurance risk model........its wouldn't unnecessarily fleece hundreds of millions from the hard working public each year because some 'statisic' tells it to do so and then hiding behind the line *said in as girly of a voice as possible* 'well what else are we supposed to use?' :lol:

Its like the standard 'insurance is going up' headline we have to listen to EVERY YEAR..... If insurers just had the balls to say 'errrrm the Board said they want profits up by another 30% this year so we're going to spin some line about about the 3 scousers who've been doing cash for claims and blame them for a 30% hike in prices'........I'd have a lot more respect for them.

Its the same line every bleeding year 'due to the increase in insurance fraud insurance prices will be rising by blahblah'......snooooooooooooorrrrrrrrreeee - if fraud is that bad then investigate it properly, underwrite the policy properly, load people on CIFAS, give the police their details, prosecute when you identify it. I don't see all these millions of people queuing up out of the courts waiting to see a judge, they seem to be able to reoffend every year (unless we're to believe the entire country is at it) so they're not being loaded on CIFAS either (as you'd never get insured again if you did).

If bodyshops are fleecing you and draining every last penny out of a job then lets have a think..........STOP FRIGGING USING THEM!!!!!!!!!! Use a better, smaller, independent and get your own engineer to sign off the works instead of putting us all through the ordeal of dealing with Howard 'I couldn't fix a car properly if my life depended on it' Basford.

With all the whining they do anyone would think that they weren't all making significant profit every year.

EDIT - BTW Olly this isn't aimed at you personally.....at least Sky bother to engage with an Underwriter.

You did say this though;

spade.jpg

525-so-much-win.png

I don't think the industry would like my insurance risk model........its wouldn't unnecessarily fleece hundreds of millions from the hard working public each year because some 'statisic' tells it to do so and then hiding behind the line *said in as girly of a voice as possible* 'well what else are we supposed to use?' :lol:

Its like the standard 'insurance is going up' headline we have to listen to EVERY YEAR..... If insurers just had the balls to say 'errrrm the Board said they want profits up by another 30% this year so we're going to spin some line about about the 3 scousers who've been doing cash for claims and blame them for a 30% hike in prices'........I'd have a lot more respect for them.

Its the same line every bleeding year 'due to the increase in insurance fraud insurance prices will be rising by blahblah'......snooooooooooooorrrrrrrrreeee - if fraud is that bad then investigate it properly, underwrite the policy properly, load people on CIFAS, give the police their details, prosecute when you identify it. I don't see all these millions of people queuing up out of the courts waiting to see a judge, they seem to be able to reoffend every year (unless we're to believe the entire country is at it) so they're not being loaded on CIFAS either (as you'd never get insured again if you did).

If bodyshops are fleecing you and draining every last penny out of a job then lets have a think..........STOP FRIGGING USING THEM!!!!!!!!!! Use a better, smaller, independent and get your own engineer to sign off the works instead of putting us all through the ordeal of dealing with Howard 'I couldn't fix a car properly if my life depended on it' Basford.

With all the whining they do anyone would think that they weren't all making significant profit every year.

EDIT - BTW Olly this isn't aimed at you personally.....at least Sky bother to engage with an Underwriter.

Totally agree. My missus had an accident a few years back. I priced up the cost of the bits to repair the car and even allowing for paintwork, my estimate came in at around £500. The body shop charged the insurance company nearly £3000 for the work. Then insurance companies use that excuse to increase premiums. Surely any insurance company with an ounce of common sense would not throw money at bodyshops like that.

In my personal view, insurance companies should look at each individuals circumstances and price accordingly. So, in my case, here we have a guy whose nearly 40 (okay, so old man, not young chav), im a company director (so responsible job), ive 18 years ncb on my car having never made a claim (so extremely safe risk), ive 10 years ncb on my R1 motorbike (okay, even safer risk as the guy clearly is very aware of road users), ive experience of fast cars (great, so hes not going to crash the zed straight away), been riding a 150bhp 190mph R1 motorbike for the last 9 years (great, he`s used to high powered rear wheel drive vehicles and he hasnt crashed it), I live in the middle of nowhere in a quiet NO CRIME cul-de-sac (excellent, nice safe area) and the car is parked on my drive, blocked in by my missus`s car (excellent, very low chance of it being stolen). He is such a safe risk, in fact we will pay him money instead.

In addition, if i then decide id like to drive an old shed during the week, the insurance company should lower my premium even more, as if im driving an old shed, leaving the zed nice and safe at home, then im even a safer risk.

However, in reality what do we have? Im a man (okay lets load the premium up), company director (dont care), 18 years ncb (okay we`ll knock a fiver off the premium or only take into account the first 5 years ncb), 10 years ncb on a R1 (dont care if he`s an experienced biker), live in middle of nowhere in a quiet cul-de-sac (yeah but the first 2 letters of his postcode group him in with the local city where more claims are made). In fact, cos he can afford a zed, lets jack his premium up as he`s bound to be able to afford the insurance. And, when it comes to wanting to use a shed in the week... lol... lets just double the premium cos he can afford 2 cars.

Totally agree. My missus had an accident a few years back. I priced up the cost of the bits to repair the car and even allowing for paintwork, my estimate came in at around £500. The body shop charged the insurance company nearly £3000 for the work. Then insurance companies use that excuse to increase premiums. Surely any insurance company with an ounce of common sense would not throw money at bodyshops like that.

In my personal view, insurance companies should look at each individuals circumstances and price accordingly. So, in my case, here we have a guy whose nearly 40 (okay, so old man, not young chav), im a company director (so responsible job), ive 18 years ncb on my car having never made a claim (so extremely safe risk), ive 10 years ncb on my R1 motorbike (okay, even safer risk as the guy clearly is very aware of road users), ive experience of fast cars (great, so hes not going to crash the zed straight away), been riding a 150bhp 190mph R1 motorbike for the last 9 years (great, he`s used to high powered rear wheel drive vehicles and he hasnt crashed it), I live in the middle of nowhere in a quiet NO CRIME cul-de-sac (excellent, nice safe area) and the car is parked on my drive, blocked in by my missus`s car (excellent, very low chance of it being stolen). He is such a safe risk, in fact we will pay him money instead.

In addition, if i then decide id like to drive an old shed during the week, the insurance company should lower my premium even more, as if im driving an old shed, leaving the zed nice and safe at home, then im even a safer risk.

However, in reality what do we have? Im a man (okay lets load the premium up), company director (dont care), 18 years ncb (okay we`ll knock a fiver off the premium or only take into account the first 5 years ncb), 10 years ncb on a R1 (dont care if he`s an experienced biker), live in middle of nowhere in a quiet cul-de-sac (yeah but the first 2 letters of his postcode group him in with the local city where more claims are made). In fact, cos he can afford a zed, lets jack his premium up as he`s bound to be able to afford the insurance. And, when it comes to wanting to use a shed in the week... lol... lets just double the premium cos he can afford 2 cars.

and then the renewal comes in a year later and the price is ridiculous.. Go online, do a new quote same details, next door neighbours address (so the system lets you quote) and it comes in at 400quid cheaper..

I was really annoyed by how high the renewals are compared to new online quotes and had it out with my insurance company about it.

I was really annoyed by how high the renewals are compared to new online quotes and had it out with my insurance company about it.

And what did they say? I have to do a new quote with Admiral every year to get the best price, but they still beat everyone hands down. Its annoying that they do that, but if people werent mugs and automatically renewing, they wouldnt bother doing it :bangin:

And what did they say? I have to do a new quote with Admiral every year to get the best price, but they still beat everyone hands down. Its annoying that they do that, but if people werent mugs and automatically renewing, they wouldnt bother doing it :bangin:

yep, i agree.. they just said it was automated and that they have no control over it. I explained that if they try and rob me again then I would leave them and take all 5 cars in the houshold of them.

Of course they go yeah yeah very sorry etc... but they know fine well that I know the system and will keep coming back as they do beat every body out there for price

yep, i agree.. they just said it was automated and that they have no control over it. I explained that if they try and rob me again then I would leave them and take all 5 cars in the houshold of them.

Of course they go yeah yeah very sorry etc... but they know fine well that I know the system and will keep coming back as they do beat every body out there for price

Its just standard practice with insurance companies. They give you a cheaper (cough, splutter) deal in year 1, then ramp it up silly for year 2 hoping most people will not bother to shop around. You then go online, find that you can get it for half the price, phone them up and they (and this REALLY annoys me) happily drop the premium down to the cheaper price. Just goes to show how greedy they were if they can literally half a premium in seconds on the phone. They always say "your details must have changed, let me put them through again", which is a load of bull as my details on confused.com have not changed at all, ive just clicked the "re-quote" button! lol.

Another scam I had last year was I had a quote from my insurance company online for 66quid to insure my R1 for a year. (yes, £66 to insure a 150bhp 190mph bike.. and thats about the normal cost to insure it, which makes me wonder why im paying 700quid to insure the zed now). The insurance company then phoned me up and asked if i wanted to go ahead with it. I said yes, went through all the stuff, then they said "the premium will be 102quid. Im like WTF no it isnt. Turned out that they wanted to charge me 36quid for "processing the application over the phone rather than online". Hang on... they were the ones who phoned me and offered to process it over the phone. Needless to say I told them to F off and just did it online instead.