Sky Insurance + No Garage = Fail

spursmaddave

Just phoned Sky as now we have had the Zed for a full insurance year we would hopefully be able to swap to them and get a good deal like many other members on here...

But unfortunately if you do not garage your Zed or have it in lockable gates then they can't insure you...

Strange as last year we managed to get a quote even though we had neither :shrug:

Does anyone know if Chris Knott have the same requirements before I waste another call?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats bollox.

I have been insured with Sky for 4 years, and my car has been declared as "parked in residential car park" and "parked on drive". Never had an issue.

The quoted me just 2 weeks ago for a Zed being parked on a drive.

I`ll be interested to see how much your premium drops this year. You would expect after having driven a zed for a full year the insurance companies should reduce your premium no end as you clearly are a much lower risk than someone who has just purchased one.

your more likely to find it go up rather than down. On average its around a 22% hike. Nothing to do with a years less no claims but the bad winter and insurance companies recouping their payouts

Oh, I agree, they usually jack it up each year. But, I did find some insurance companies this year used the excuse "oh you havent driven a zed before so your likely to crash" to charge a higher insurance premium this time around. So in "theory" they should offer less next time after a years experience of the zed.

Well thats bollox.

I have been insured with Sky for 4 years, and my car has been declared as "parked in residential car park" and "parked on drive". Never had an issue.

Also have my zed insured with Sky and it's kept in a private (and not secured) residential car park :thumbs:

Also just had a ridiculous experience with Sky.

The Zed is insured elsewhere, myself & Mrs K, 15 years ncb each, both 50 this year, we have an old Volvo S60 T5 as the runabout, so we swop about when I work out of home, approx 2 days a week I use the Volvo. NCB earned on Porsche, Alfa gtv6 & a 350z for many many years. This has gone on for years, thousands paid in premiums, no losses. We have demonstrated consistently that we are a good risk.

Sky, we don't cover business use, eh!!!??? No quote!!!! Seems to me it's not about quoting bad risks anymore, just can't even quote for normal everyday sensible requirements. How old will I have to be before covered to go to work!!!!???

Going to/from work isnt business use. Its Commuting. So you ask for Social Domestic & pleasure inc commuting.

Many insurance companies wont insure a car such as the Zed for business use.

Sky, we don't cover business use, eh!!!??? No quote!!!! Seems to me it's not about quoting bad risks anymore, just can't even quote for normal everyday sensible requirements. How old will I have to be before covered to go to work!!!!???

Commuting will surely be covered, business use (i.e. repping up and down the motorway) will be down to the individual insurer.

Well thats bollox.

Thanks Lexx, I thought it was complete bollox myself but my Missus phoned them just go get a quote, even though our renewal is actually a bit lower than last year and that is taking into account an accident that hasn't been resolved yet.

This time last year we phoned Sky and were told that because we had not insured the car for 12 months they wouldn't touch us, well they did quote but it was twice what we could get, thought this year I would give them the chance as so many members had given good write ups.

All started well, they asked for the forum name and username, went though all the usual questions, then asked about where the car was kept, we said in a residential car park off road, they asked if it was secured, answered no and then told if it was unsecured and no garage then not insurable. Our post code is DA11, the quote last year was for SE9 so surely a better area and that is backed up by the cheaper quote this year from our current insurer as if we still in SE9 I would be expecting a increase along with 99% of the population...

Never mind I'm sure Olly will be on soon to educate us on whatever excuse they have for this one :snack:

I've Emailed him too... :snack:

Should be tres interesting considering he sent me off with a flea in my ear last week when I dared to question why parking IN a garage was more expensive.

Slightly upsetting for you though Dave;

- No garage = no insurance

- garage = premium loaded as high risk of bashing your car in the garage

:lol:

Never mind I'm sure Olly will be on soon to educate us on whatever excuse they have for this one :snack:

I've Emailed him too... :snack:

Should be tres interesting considering he sent me off with a flea in my ear last week when I dared to question why parking IN a garage was more expensive.

Slightly upsetting for you though Dave;

- No garage = no insurance

- garage = premium loaded as high risk of bashing your car in the garage

:lol:

Yeah talk about no choice :lol:

I will be interested in the reply, especially as other members have stated they park on road and I live in a low / med risk area in Dartford, Kent.

Strange as when Sky installed my Sky+ box they didn't ask about window locks?

Before we all start off on the Ollie Bashing (the only Olly I want to kick is that X-Factor prick...) lets wait and see what Ollie replies with.

Might be a genuinly good reason, or a misunderstanding. :thumbs:

Before we all start off on the Ollie Bashing (the only Olly I want to kick is that X-Factor prick...) lets wait and see what Ollie replies with.

Nobody is bashing anyone :shrug: I saw the post last week about premiums going up if you said you garage your car so surely a higher risk, and then today I get told its too high a risk to not have a garage...

I am personally not too fussed as already stated we have had a LOWER renewal from our current insurer but I believe it is information that should be made available for other members. If it is a mistake and they 'Quote me happy' then I will be the first to put another thread on here singing their praises :thumbs:

Nobody is bashing anyone

Which is why I said "BEFORE WE ALL......" ;)

Hey fair play to Olly for swinging in with a reply - he's only doing his job at the end of the day.

Lets face it - no one who works in the industry is going to pipe up and outright admit that insurance is one of the biggest daylight robberies going.

To clarify my earlier post,

the z is insured elsewhere for soc dom & plea, the Volvo is the workhorse, 50 miles a week round Leeds, to get me from 1 house survey to another, deemed uninsurable!!

tbf he did say he wouldnt be around as much so it may be better to email him to find out