Sky Insurance + No Garage = Fail

spursmaddave

I am currently looking into this one and doing some indepth research before speaking to our car club scheme underwriters and going back to the customer.

The issue IS the postcode, we have restrictions on the DA postcodes as we have experienced a bad claim loss ratio in the area for cars kept on the public road at the home address hence why this has been no quoted. If we can help, we will do our best, if we cannot help we can only apologise.

Thanks

Ollie

Sky Insurance

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really that hard to get your head around? OK so in "good areas" having it on the street is better as they have less claims of people bashing them into the garage and this is a higher risk than those getting broken into (ie they pay more out for garage prangs than break ins on the street). In the OPs case, he is (quite likely) in a "bad area" according to the underwriters and the only way they will cover it is if it is locked up in a garage. In this case the risk of it being nicked off the street is high so they will only cover it if its locked up. They will weight the premium for it being in a garage, but at least they are willing to cover it.

Insurance companies arent stupid, they weight their premiums based on claims that they have had, they dont just make up silly rules. Now this means for most you get a good deal as the premium is tailored to your circumstances, but if you do fall into a higher risk category it means you will be weighted up accordingly or told you wont be covered.

If you dont like it then go somewhere else. Simples ;)

I am currently looking into this one and doing some indepth research before speaking to our car club scheme underwriters and going back to the customer.

The issue IS the postcode, we have restrictions on the DA postcodes as we have experienced a bad claim loss ratio in the area for cars kept on the public road at the home address hence why this has been no quoted. If we can help, we will do our best, if we cannot help we can only apologise.

Thanks

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Which makes you wonder why insurance companies only use the first 2 letters of postcodes to assess the "risk". In my case, my postcode is NN. Which covers a massive area. According to my insurance company its a higher risk area than my old postcode, and my insurance was loaded by about 20%. Even through my old house was on a dangerous main road in a city with no end of accidents on it, and yet my new house is on a quiet edge of town/village cul-de-sac full of curtain twitching old biddies who are at home all day pretending to be Miss Marple. So go figure. Why dont they use the full postcode, or enough of it to narrow it down to the exact street. That way they can accurately calculate risk. Sure, if you live in the centre of the city on a street full of busy pubs then you`d expect it to be a higher risk than a quiet street on the edge of town.

Of course the answer is, its so the insurance companies can charge more. Like when women used to get cheaper premiums, just because they were female, rather than analysing which people were higher risks in more detail.

I've looked into this further, I have reviewed our own claim stats for the area and have spoken to our car club scheme underwriters. Unfortunately I am still unable to find a quotation for this customer. As much as we would like to help, if our underwriters say no then there is little we can do.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Lets face it - no one who works in the industry is going to pipe up and outright admit that insurance is one of the biggest daylight robberies going.

On the contrary I feel the the UK's insurance industry is in a complete mess and needs a drastic over haul. It is being killed by no win no fee type cases, people taking the pi** with injury claims, bodyshops going in for every penny, fraudulent claims etc etc but that is a whole different discussion and is not Sky Insurance specific.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

I had NO idea that insurance only went off the first two letters in the postcode.

Possibly the first 3 or 4 ... but TWO ... really? :scare:

That is just mental!

Neither did I! Explains why mine is still so high even though am in a village - have a Dundee postcode :bangin::lol:

The amount of scumbags at work who said why on earth didnt i claim for juries after my accident made my blood boil. Even some on here said as much, total t@@@s if you ask me and part of the reason why insurance is zooming up!

From just a few Emails i can tell Ollie seems like a decent bloke and did his best for me, but all insurance seems to be a lottery nowadays...

I had NO idea that insurance only went off the first two letters in the postcode.

We go by more than the first two letters, I imagine other insurers do as well. Some of our high risk areas are banded, eg we have exclusions on all 'M' Manchester' 'L' Liverpool and 'BD' Bradford postcodes. In some areas only certain parts of the postcode are restricted/excluded, as an example we struggle with PR1 - PR9 postcodes but the rest are fine. We do try and look at the bigger picture. In some areas (eg 'WA' Warrington') we look at each risk individually, we even go so far as to google map and area so we can see the address of the customer we are insuring. If we can help someone we will, if we see a good risk in a highrisk postcode and our underwriters have declined the risk, we will query it and try and squeeze it through, in fact this is what I was doing in this case this morning.

Yep Jim / Vik,

Apparently the whole of Dartford (DA) is a crime infested sewer full of car crime, which is why its all over the news.... That is why my current insurer has lowered our premiums when everyones is going up substantially, and that was taking into account my accident as blame has not been decided yet, so guilty until proven innocent...

Not got a beef with Sky or Ollie, like he said if the underwriters say no then nowt you can do...

Googlemaps must have been interesting Ollie, all i can see are fields where my place is :lol:

Also, and for what is is worth, I live just outside St Albans which is an 'AL' postcode, I live in the middle of absolutely nowhere, I have an electronic gate at the end of my drive, chickens running around the garden, nothing to see but farm land. My insurance went up significantly when I moved to the address, the reason being is that just down the road is Hatfield which is much higher risk than St Albans.

It is a postcode lottery but what else do insurers have to go by?

Slightly upsetting for you though Dave;

- No garage = no insurance

- garage = premium loaded as high risk of bashing your car in the garage

:lol:

You forgot 'driveway' and just to be clear, we ([sky] via our scheme underwriters) would most definitely NOT load your premium for keeping the car in a garage, when I answered you last week I made it quite clear that some insurers will load but not all.

Im feeling SUPER lucky at the mo...

Just had my renewal quote from Admiral.

£818 ...

Which includes me and Tam. Pleasure and commuting...

On the Zed... with a 10% over stock chip and induction kit... AND all my new stereo kit

Kept in the garage! :lol:

AND ... the 118d, For Tam and I ... with a 10% over stock chip!

With protected Claims Bonus.... Only sod is the £600 excess..

:#1:

So where should I move to :snack:

near me at IP5

between ipswich and woodbridge, i live within throwing distance of the major police headquarters; real low risk area :thumbs:

Read up a bit Rich, I can SEE the Headquarters of the Kent Constabulary from my balcony, if your postcode is deemed 'dodgy' makes f*** all difference mate...

Anyway there have to be SOME advantages to living in Ipswich :lol:

So where should I move to :snack:

near me at IP5

between ipswich and woodbridge, i live within throwing distance of the major police headquarters; real low risk area :thumbs:

Read up a bit Rich, I can SEE the Headquarters of the Kent Constabulary from my balcony, if your postcode is deemed 'dodgy' makes f*** all difference mate...

Anyway there have to be SOME advantages to living in Ipswich :lol:

ah you see my postcode is a cooshdy one :teeth: i live on the right side of town B) apparently its about a 10k premium over other areas around me, top schools, nice area, low crime, and PD HQ round the corner, always lots of patrols out. :thumbs: