Sinking like the Titanic apparently!

What you mean to say is it works pretty much like real life. People voice their opinions, if enough people voice their opinions then those in charge change something, if there is a really important issue comes up then we have a vote.

For instance people didnt like the new look to the forum and proposed changes, those changes were implemented as it was clear the majority didnt like the standard look of the new theme. There are discussions on going around a garage mod, there are discussions on implementing a feedbck system, all born of discussion from the members.

I didnt like half the changes the previous two chancellors and PM's have made, but I didnt get a say. I dont remember being asked whether I agreed with the parish council part of our council tax being increased, but it happened none the less.

If people expect the team here to take a vote from all the members on every aspect of the forum and any changes we wish to implement, then they have sadly lost a grip on reality. We are tasked with running this in the best interests of all the members and that is what we are doing. If the mebers don't agree with the teams decisions, then they can voice their opinion and object to the ways either team members or the team in general do their job. Team members have in the past reversed decisions after discussion with the rest of the team, and we have all been wrong on occasion.

Sounds to me that unless we have elected members of the team, and start going down the route of AGM's etc, you cant get much closer to a democracy. The main reason for this not taking place here, is that it takes the fun out of runing a club and becomes more like a chore than a fun hobby. An awful lot of other forums have gone down that route, leaving the people running it not finding it enjoyable, and ultimately the forum dies because there is no enthusiasm from those charged with running it. People who are invited to join the team are picked by the existing team as they are noticed as being the right sort of people for the job.

Imagine if we took the democratic route in real world commercial examples, you need a new cheif exec for a company, and people can put themselves forward. You will end up with the most popular person at the helm, rather than the one who may actually have a clue about running a company.

It would appear that the system we have in place for electing our MP's has provided us with some very popular, but incredibly incompetent people running our country. :shrug:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you mean to say is it works pretty much like real life. People voice their opinions, if enough people voice their opinions then those in charge change something, if there is a really important issue comes up then we have a vote. thats very true, we did have a vote on a BBQ i think not so long ago

For instance people didnt like the new look to the forum and proposed changes, those changes were implemented as it was clear the majority didnt like the standard look of the new theme. There are discussions on going around a garage mod, there are discussions on implementing a feedbck system, all born of discussion from the members.

They were both good points that husky raised; and i'm pleased to see that they are coming in as i can see the benefit for the forum

I didnt like half the changes the previous two chancellors and PM's have made, but I didnt get a say. I dont remember being asked whether I agreed with the parish council part of our council tax being increased, but it happened none the less.

Sadly this is where i feel your argument has some holes; you did have a say, it was called a general election, and local elections, the people that made those decisions were put there by us,you, the public who voted. but the advantage is if we don't like them, come next election we can vote them out. thats why gordon isn't in number 10 anymore

If people expect the team here to take a vote from all the members on every aspect of the forum and any changes we wish to implement, then they have sadly lost a grip on reality.

why? i know lots of forums that elect their moderating team; ok so they don't vote over what colour napkins to put with the plastic cups at the next big picnic; but they have a say; and if they don't like the direction they can vote; not with their feet, but with the feet of those who are in charge

We are tasked with running this in the best interests of all the members and that is what we are doing. If the members don't agree with the teams decisions, then they can voice their opinion and object to the ways either team members or the team in general do their job. Team members have in the past reversed decisions after discussion with the rest of the team, and we have all been wrong on occasion. I'm glad their is and has been this kind of action going on

Sounds to me that unless we have elected members of the team, and start going down the route of AGM's etc, you cant get much closer to a democracy. The main reason for this not taking place here, is that it takes the fun out of running a club and becomes more like a chore than a fun hobby. i wonder if gadaffi was saying the same thing recently :lol:

An awful lot of other forums have gone down that route, leaving the people running it not finding it enjoyable, and ultimately the forum dies because there is no enthusiasm from those charged with running it. People who are invited to join the team are picked by the existing team as they are noticed as being the right sort of people for the job.

Imagine if we took the democratic route in real world commercial examples, you need a new chief exec for a company, and people can put themselves forward. You will end up with the most popular person at the helm, rather than the one who may actually have a clue about running a company. I would hope that HR would filter the best candidates first; but your right it doesn't always happen. I've seen several companies go down the pan as someone got the job not because they were good, but because they were linked to the old boys network. i would hope that with the majority of the members on here being adults that they can make a sensible choice; i mena they are allowed to vote in the general elections, so some one obviously trusts them :shrug:

It would appear that the system we have in place for electing our MP's has provided us with some very popular, but incredibly incompetent people running our country. :shrug:(not wanting to drag politics into this, but i think its a case of the lesser of 2 evils) :shrug:

but like i said above, i haven't asked to change the forum leadership i know what the status quo is and have decided that i'm happy for it to stay that way, i was just pointing out some facts :shrug:

i know its your guys sandpit, and i'm happy to play in it by your rules. :)

Sorry, but there are many policies implemented by governments that are not part of the manifesto, and are made law after a vote vetween the MP's only.

You are trying to suggest that its our way or the highway - whether to try and massage your own ego, or to gather a popular vote who knows, either way its not true. You have already confirmed that we are taking feedback and suggestions on board and implementing ideas. The garage mod for example is an wful lot of work, and it would be very easy to say no, but we haven't. Hows about the gallery - that was a huge piece of work, when was the last time anyone used it?

That being said even if there were the slightest chace that the team elected to change the basis on which this club was run, only those who actually owned a Z would be allowed to take part in such a vote in the first place, so I fail to see your problem.

I know lots of forums that have their moderating team/chair people elected too - ask them how much fun it is, or whether its a chore..

Sorry, but there are many policies implemented by governments that are not part of the manifesto, and are made law after a vote vetween the MP's only.

The same could be said of here? ok so you don't have a manifesto, but there are decisions or stances that the moderating team take because they have decided that.

You are trying to suggest that its our way or the highway not suggest it, i've been told it by 2 moderators, and i know several others have as well- whether to try and massage your own egoi don't have an ego, or to gather a popular vote vote for what? i haven't asked for anything nor am i pushing anythingwho knows, either way its not true. but it is- yes to a point there is movement, but at the end of the day, those leading the club know what direction they want to take the club; and like any group in power have to make tough decisions, for the better of the group; even if the group don't or won't appreciate it at the time You have already confirmed that we are taking feedback and suggestions on board and implementing ideas. The garage mod for example is an awful lot of work, and it would be very easy to say no, but we haven't.i'm not unappreciative of the work; but if it helps i'll buy you some flowers when its done :) yes i understand moderating and admin can be a thankless task; but then you never did it to get a medal or a trophy Hows about the gallery - that was a huge piece of work, when was the last time anyone used it?

On a serious note why don't we have a moderator of the year; or moderator of the month award; where at the end of the time period, the members can vote for the admin/mod who they feel has really helped out or just been there all the time. I'm sure some of us long terms wouldn't mind digging in to our pockets for a little something to show our appreciation

That being said even if there were the slightest chance that the team elected to change the basis on which this club was run, only those who actually owned a Z would be allowed to take part in such a vote in the first place, so I fail to see your problem. i'm glad i know where you and i stand :)

I know lots of forums that have their moderating team/chair people elected too - ask them how much fun it is, or whether its a chore..

i didn't post this to start the winds of change; or any kind of car based coo. i posted to call beavis a poo stirrer, in light jest, he laughed i laughed, we moved on. and then the mods decided that they wanted a "discussion" on the finer points of my post. be it they had a long day, wanted to let off some steam, what ever, i was happy to oblige; i think the point is i don't roll over and if people want to poke me with a stick i'm happy to respond

You will end up with the most popular person at the helm, rather than the one who may actually have a clue about running a company.

So its decided then I'm in charge :D

If I'm being honest this entire thread has clearly migrated from outage issues to personal issues that fairly specific peeps have with one another (rightly or wrongly).

The only thing that will come of this is someone ultimately getting a ban or falling out completely........unless thats the point of it in the first place I don't see much benefit in it remaining open personally. :shrug:

Given that Husky is a fairly heavy forum user - posting what he did on the websitethatshallremainnameless.com was ..........ill advised........ but I'm sure it was just frustration (or Distemper) rather than a proper pop at anyone.

:yawn:

I had to laugh when I saw you were the last to post (before the downtime) and I was quite looking forward to your post, yet it was just a yawn. Dissapointed Sarnie I expected more from you :teeth:

:yawn:

I had to laugh when I saw you were the last to post (before the downtime) and I was quite looking forward to your post, yet it was just a yawn. Dissapointed Sarnie I expected more from you :teeth:

I'm sorry to dissapoint, my Forum War days are over, it seems.

After reading this thread, a :yawn: was all I could muster :blush:

PS: site was down for me for about 30 mins :lol::blush:

Just out of interest. . . .the Valdemort forum was also offline tonight - tried to get into it at 23:52 and get the "Server not found" message - take heart all, it's not just us

For the record, I always come on 350Z-UK first, I find the people nicer and (normally) it's friendlier too, and the occasional outage is tolerable, especially when it's all done by volunteers.

Anyway - if schadenfreude gives comfort, the other lot went down tonight as well

So enable chat then and see how we fair... :thumbs:

We need to get a few days of good running under our belt first :thumbs:

You could just ban Anders for a week, and leave chat running.

It'd have the same effect :lol: