Dangerous DIY

Ricey

Well tonight I topped my own 'Final Destination Moment' (meaning inviting death to come and collect you in a comical and amusing fashion) by cutting the conifers (that I'd let get totally out of control) by climbing on the shed roof, lobbing the hedge cutter on to the top of the 15 ft high hedge and walking/wriggling across it scything chunks out of the top with the hedge cutter in one hand.

So very nearly an epic fail but turned as an epic win :#1:

This got me thinking........who's done the most dangerous bit of DIY bodgery? :snack:

Well tonight I topped my own 'Final Destination Moment' (meaning inviting death to come and collect you in a comical and amusing fashion) by cutting the conifers (that I'd let get totally out of control) by climbing on the shed roof, lobbing the hedge cutter on to the top of the 15 ft high hedge and walking/wriggling across it scything chunks out of the top with the hedge cutter in one hand.

So very nearly an epic fail but turned as an epic win :#1:

This got me thinking........who's done the most dangerous bit of DIY bodgery? :snack:

My Dad cutting a piece of wood with a big circular saw in his garage and ruling off a line with a pen and ruler a little too close to the blade with his finger tips was a rather memorable moment of my childhood.....

I will drill the holes for that shelf in then kitchen when i have a minute. I am busy putting up CD racks, just put a mark where you want the holes. :)

Straight into the kitchen when i had a minute and started drilling.

Straight through the hot water supply. Blew the drill up, electric shock and hot water spurting out in my face.

I bought her the yellow pages for xmas that year. :teeth:

Once tried to remove a B&Q price sticker from a gas pipe...............

With a chisel....................

With the gas flowing through the pipe. Scrape, scrape, hiss.................er..................run??

OK. so DIY wise this was a big job as the unit that left, trashed the place and the winter months were approaching fast and the rain was going to come down hard..

we first ripped everything (sh**ty) down and stitched together 6 waterproof ponchos

DSCF0143.jpg

then we (I) went on the roof and nailed and sandbagged the ponchos up there..

DSCF0145.jpg

then we (Liam RIP) gave the place a nice tidy and swept it using a piece of cardboard nailed to some wood..

DSCF0147.jpg

it worked brilliantly and kept the rain off...

now, you may be thinking at this point.. 'whats dangerous about that?'

if you look at picture 2, i am not only on top of a mud built roof, i am wearing neither body armour or a helmet, and when i was about to descend i had a look around and noticed, i was neither covered by the outer perimeter wall or behind any type of cover, but could clearly see for miles and stood out like a sore thumb in one of the most kinetic (gun battles) Forward Operating Base's in Afghanistan :wacko:

go on say it... :bang::bangin: idiot :p

Washing machine packed up.

Ordered new one from John Lewis including delivery and removal of old one.

Workman pulled old one from under worktop but couldn't unplug it as it was plugged in behind the dryer.

He said he didn't have time for all this messing, produced a stanly knife and said

"you'll have to install the new one yourself.........I'll CUT THE CABLE so that I can take the old one away" :surrender:

The numpty even looked pi**ed when I said "YOU HAVING A LAUGH......YOU CAN'T DO THAT" until I pointed out cable was LIVE.

Dread to think what would have happened if I was out and the miss us just left him to it :doh:

I am the worst DIY’er on the planet, especially when it comes to electric’s. I’m ok with things you can see but the invisible ninja has taken its pound of flesh on a number of occasions. The two that really stick in my memory are.

Just picture the scene married one week moved into a two up two down semi. The house was what any newly wed’s wanted. Second hand cooker and refrigerator, a hand-me-down sofa, combi TV+VCR and a washing machine with a plug.

Then I noticed a lone electrical socket on the wall with a hole for the electrical cable for an appliance not using the plug. Off came the plug stripped back the cable and took the socket off the wall. Looked at the cables feeding the socket so instinctively put the live to live, earth to earth and the neutral to neutral. Job done. Waited for Linda to come home from work before standing back and admiring the manly handy work before inviting her to throw the fuse box switch just like smashing the champagne bottle on a newly launched ship.

BOOM an almighty bang and flash from the kitchen, Plaster and dust everywhere. I had only wired the washing machine directly into the ring main input ports of the socket instead of the output ports of the socket. The end result was a new kitchen wall re plastered and tiled to add insult to injury my old man is an electrical technician who had the following to say, vivere e imparare figlio (Live and learn son). Call the people that Know.

And more recently, a full bathroom conversion with the help of my nephew (top builder). Whilst installing the extractor fan (You guest it electricity again) I used the existing electricity feed from the old shower to feed the extractor fan. Nothing could be simpler (Not). Wired the dam switch the wrong way. Started to peal back the wires from the freed to supply the extractor with a chisel (Yes you got it, still live) the chisel flew out of my hand an flew across the bath room, it became embedded in the wall besides my nephews ear (very close call, barred from the Bathroom).

Nothing much as I tend to avoid DIY, but in my first house I was changing a light socket and thought that simply turning the light switch off would isolate it. Imagine my surprise when I grabbed hold of one of the wires and was thrown over the room. Wouldn't have been to bad but I was standing not on a pair of ladders but on a bar stool which collapsed under me. :blush:

Pete

We moved in to our house 2.5 years ago,and the previous owners had some dodgy DIY going on. One piece of which was wiring up the garage electrics by drilling a hole through the wall behind a plug in the kitchen and just adding another cable into the back of the plug,using internal use only cable! When we had the drive replaced,i got them to lay new cable from the fuse box. But disconnecting the old cable from the back of the plug socket,i accidently slipped with the screw driver,and touched both terminals at the same time!

Result was a nice chunk missing from the screw driver,and almighty band from the contact made and the fuse box,and a slightly dazed me! (not to mention the builders rushing round to check on me) I had to go get another fuse terminal (old spec fuse box) and was told that to blow the 30amp fuse in that must have taken a some stupid voltage! I swiftly paid (£20) and left. lol

In my spare time I am learning to build acoustic guitars. A tool I use is something called a Safe-T-planer Whifh is effectively a drill bit with a flat planer on the bottom than you attach to a pillar drill. It is used to thickness wood down to a very specific thickness and is supposed to be safe...

Well. As I was passing some spruce through it kicked and my left pinky got sucked in mangling it in the process. I live within walking distance of a hospital so over I went and stitches and glue later with some painkillers later I got home. It's ber. Over a year since I did it and you can never tell it happened but it sill hurts lol. What made me really mad was ruining a £30 piece of spruce!

My dad ran his own building company so naturally did up the house. In some 30 years he's only had minor nicks and cuts but has some pretty bad luck on ladders. I can remember 3 falls, 2 broken legs and one broken arm :lol:.

Emmmmmmmm....

I have worked in some dodgy places and have run far away from some very dangerous goings on. I myself may have done things not quite to the utmost standard due to lack of equipment etc in some of these places at times.

My dad was an perfectionist DIYer and then some... He built the garage complete with pit, a conservatory from scratch, a kitchen extension, the kitchen itself from scratch and his crowning glory a 2 story pitched roof extension to the front of the house.

His only 'problem' was his approach to safety...

The worst tool I ever saw him devise was his 'saw' to cut off the roof rafters to create the lower edge of the roof. He tried his circular saw but it didn't have enough depth so he took the saw blade out, found a drill chuck thingy he had and attached the saw blade to his power drill. He then climbed up the ladder and proceeded to cut 20 or so roof rafters to size...