What car should I buy the missus???

BACON

My better half Clare is looking to change her daily driver but we are not sure what would be a good replacement to meet her requirements.

Currently driving a black '52' plate Beemer compact 318 with 120k on the clock. The car has been a great motor with very few problems (touch-wood) but she is now looking for something a bit newer, fresher with a cleaner appearance / styling whilst also benefiting from lower mileage.

The missus would love a Zed but would never have a motor with such fuel economy figures as this so she's ideally looking for 35+ mpg. We don't have kids so a 'people carrier' is certainly not required :lol: but rear seats are probably desireable. Budget somewhere between 5-10k.

Any ideas??? :wacko:

We have been looking at a few RX8's but unsure of their economy rating and whether they are a reliable purchase.......heard that at around the 100k mark, they will undoubtedly need a new engine........is this true???

Any guidance or suggestions welcome :thumbs:

RX8's have a reputation for drinking fuel, makes a Zed look frugal from what I've heard. As far as the engines go there seems to be a cottage industry sprung up to replace RX8 engines. It seems to be hit and miss at what stage the engines fail but newer ones are a lot better.

Pete

I have an RX-8 for sale :D

It is very, very thirsty, but if you're doing low mileage it won't be too bad. Budget for around 20mpg doing 50:50 urban/motorway driving. They are dirt cheap now, partly because of the thirst.

The engines aren't known for their longevity, but there are many that have gone on past 100,000 miles. Most examples are low miles as you'd have to be mad to use an RX-8 for a long commute, not because the engines blow. Some engines have blown at 30k and others at 60, 70, 100k etc.

Mine is at 46k and has been absolutely fine, and I see a fair amount of RX-8s about so they aren't all dead yet.

It is very, very thirsty, but if you're doing low mileage it won't be too bad. Budget for around 20mpg doing 50:50 urban/motorway driving. They are dirt cheap now, partly because of the thirst.

The engines aren't known for their longevity, but there are many that have gone on past 100,000 miles. Most examples are low miles as you'd have to be mad to use an RX-8 for a long commute, not because the engines blow. Some engines have blown at 30k and others at 60, 70, 100k etc.

Mine is at 46k and has been absolutely fine, and I see a fair amount of RX-8s about so they aren't all dead yet.

At the time I bough the Zed I was also looking at the RX8 as an alternative, partly because it has 4 seats. I have a 30 mile each way commute so the fuel consumption figures struck it off the list. Higher insurance quotes than the Zed didn't help either.

I always though that in principle the engine wasn't that fragile, but owners tend to forget that it is designed to consume oil and simply forget to keep monitoring the level.

Toyota Prius and a tree to hug :thumbs:

Then when anyone complains you can say I have an eco car as well :D

Sorry - My other half has an MR2 Roadster great for her nippy OK fuel/running costs down side is its only a 2 seater.

Having owned a RX8 for over 4years, I would strike this of the list, not trying to do Cesc out a sale, but the MPG is crippling, there's also the start up shut down procedure, which if not careful will cause flooding, a nightmare to sort if you are not very technical. The oil consumption isn't really a problem and for a sports coupe it is very practical. Not what your Mrs needs methinks, while you can get them at knockdown prices, if anything goes wrong, it's expensive.

Loads of alternatives out there, for £10k she could just about get a split new Seat Ibiza FR, not everyones cup of tea but has reasonable performance and great fuel economy. One of my daughters had an Aygo and that was flippin brilliant, not much of a load space but 4 adults will fit in, probably getting a bit dated looks wise.

Leon, Golf, Audi A3, are all good marks and virtually the same engines, Mazda MP3 are like the proverbial off a shovel and very practical.

Unfortunately we both commute over 30 milles each way for work and because of our varying working times we cannot even share the journey so to have a fuel cosumption worse than my Zed is just never going to be an option.......if I'm honest I justify the lower MPG to myself because I love the Zed so, so, so much that I just try not to think too much about the petrol stop every other day at Tescos!!!

Sorry Cesc....I know this doesnt help with your sale but I do appreciate your honesty.....also rather scared by the idea that an RX8 engine could blow up :scare: at pretty much any stage of its life.

I've also seen from Mr G Man's comments that there's some form of procedure for starting and stopping the engine.......this is just not going to happen with the Missus if I'm being completely honest :lol: Thank you for the very informative responses though; has definitely changed my opinion of the RX8. I think I was only seeing the fact that I could get Clare a 2008 motor in tip top condition with sometimes as low as 17k miles on the clock for around £7,999 but now knowing all this other information that sounds rather expensive really.

I have to say my missus' 1 series is one of the best cars I have ever driven. 118d auto se - it should suck but i just cant fault it. 35mpg around town rwd and a giggle in the bends. IMHO the best small car you can buy. And £10K gets you a nice one. Enough room for a family even and a boot. Try one you wont be disappointed.

We have been looking at a few RX8's but unsure of their economy rating and whether they are a reliable purchase.......heard that at around the 100k mark, they will undoubtedly need a new engine........is this true???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry.....sorry I've got control now.......no........no......I'm going again

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

To put it in perspective it would be cheaper to buy a car every single day and burn it when you get home than it would be to use an RX8 as a frugal daily driver.

Alfa GT? Reliability is supposedly much better, 40 odd to the gallon, stirs the soul, nice place to be inside, still got decent pace.

I have to say my missus' 1 series is one of the best cars I have ever driven. 118d auto se - it should suck but i just cant fault it. 35mpg around town rwd and a giggle in the bends. IMHO the best small car you can buy. And £10K gets you a nice one. Enough room for a family even and a boot. Try one you wont be disappointed.

I must begin by thanking you all for your responses and suggestions :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: everyone is so helpful on here.

Clare does love her current Beemmer so perhaps a newer version would be the best solution. I do think a golf or focus could be a possibility but if I'm being honest they are a tad common (I'm not trying to be nasty and I apologise to anyone on here that may own either) but I think the BMW is more exclusive (oh great now I sound like a snob as well) :bangin:

Current Beemer is a 1.8 petrol and is a lovely motor that has done us well over the past few years......how would the 118d auto compare? I take it the auto drive is the 'lazier' option but is it still an enjoyable car to drive in regards to responsiveness and power delivery??? Being a true petrol-head I hadn't considered a diesel but I suppose with our mileage a diesel would be beneficial to have in the household!!!

Why have a 1 series when u can get something like this

media?id=1680632027

Easily pick up an 05 or 06 with m sport styling, good mileage and nicely spec'd. Could get the 2 litre diesel or if u do a lot of motorway miles and want more poke go for a 3 litre diesel. If ur not too fussed about economy uv got a nice choice of petrols. I know which I'd rather have

I changed my RX-8 to a 350Z 313 in Feb and I get much better fuel economy in the Z, as has been stated (26mpg vs 19mpg in similar use). The 8 was brilliant, and its thirst means you can now buy them for peanuts and spend the cost difference between it and a "frugal" car on petrol and still be up on the deal (assuming the engine is OK).

Current Beemer is a 1.8 petrol and is a lovely motor that has done us well over the past few years......how would the 118d auto compare? I take it the auto drive is the 'lazier' option but is it still an enjoyable car to drive in regards to responsiveness and power delivery??? Being a true petrol-head I hadn't considered a diesel but I suppose with our mileage a diesel would be beneficial to have in the household!!!

I find the auto really good - yes lazier but in semi-auto mode still enough to play with. Its obviously no zed but the torque and the gearbox make it an everyday car that is pleasant to drive and trust me you will enjoy it enough when you are on your own.

Also a 118d is plenty fast enough in real world. You may not win a traffic light GP's but it gathers and keeps speed very capably. The economy (regular 36mpg around town however its driven) is a bonus. You will end up leaving the zed keys on the side if you know you are trawling through traffic.

I find the auto really good - yes lazier but in semi-auto mode still enough to play with. Its obviously no zed but the torque and the gearbox make it an everyday car that is pleasant to drive and trust me you will enjoy it enough when you are on your own.

Also a 118d is plenty fast enough in real world. You may not win a traffic light GP's but it gathers and keeps speed very capably. The economy (regular 36mpg around town however its driven) is a bonus. You will end up leaving the zed keys on the side if you know you are trawling through traffic.

Thanks "drivebyabuser" :thumbs: , your guidance is very helpful and it sounds like the 1 series is a good option to certainly look further into! I know she quite likes the 1 Series styling, not really my style but everything you describe with this model is exactly what she desires.

Thank you also to LRF4N :thumbs: for your suggestion of a slightly older and bigger model in the 3-series; this would certainly be more to my liking but I think Clare, after reading all the comments seems keen to search for a 1 series.

I suppose it just depends on what we stumple across in our search.