What car should I buy the missus???

BACON

A colleague at work has one of these, in red, the front wheel arches on it are rusting quite badly. That said, maybe they're not all like that, would put me off though.

One sits in my work car park, the guy works on rotation in West Africa somewhere. It's a total rust heap. Poor mans merc in my opinion.

I don't see the 'exclusivity' of a BMW up here, mondeos are rare compared to 3/5 series and A4s/A5/A6s. The roads are full of them. That is maybe area related though.

As usual I'd say Jap or a well specced German. :) 1 series, 3 series, A3 maybe? Mini?

Why have a 1 series when u can get something like this

media?id=1680632027

Easily pick up an 05 or 06 with m sport styling, good mileage and nicely spec'd. Could get the 2 litre diesel or if u do a lot of motorway miles and want more poke go for a 3 litre diesel. If ur not too fussed about economy uv got a nice choice of petrols. I know which I'd rather have

Definitely, they aren't 'that' much bigger than a 1 Series - at least it will have a boot you could actually get something in :thumbs:

330cd - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

There seems to be more 1 series on the road around here then Focus/Astra. If i had to have one it'd have to be a 123d 3 door or coupe M Sport. What about an SLK?

Alfa GT's on my financee's wish list but there expensive to insure and the diesel isnt the best for mpg.

• 2 months later...

Update on the car searching is over...........had a little change to the suggestions that were previously posted.

We were set on the idea of a 1 series BMW after the feedback we recieved on here and it seemed the right upgrade to what Clare had. After test driving a few models we were closing in on selecting a car; then I found on Autotrader a Beemer that had just been taken in at the BMW dealership in Norwich!

Looked nice and wasn't too bad when we went to see it. Whilst we were at the delaership there is also a Mini dealership on the same site so we went for a nose around........Clare found a couple she loved and we test drove them both.

Now she had her heart set on a Mini Copper.....I did persuade her to let me do some research before we made a purchase as I didnt really know much about them. After some research on the web and various forums and test driving a couple more we went for the Cooper we found at the delaership.

Haggled like crazy with them and I secured a reasonable deal on the Cooper. The mini we went for is a 2005 '55' plate Mini Cooper in silver with black detailing, 1.6 petrol returning approx 46 combined to the gallon. Only went for a Cooper not the 'S' as Clare didnt like the feel of the more hard-core model with a heavy clutch etc. Probably modify it to appear similar to the 'S' though!

Thank you to everyone's view points and suggestions during our search; certainly helped us to look at models and and brands we may not have thought about :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Now she had her heart set on a Mini Copper.

Did it have an old bill in the glovebox?

Good choice on the Cooper though, nice cars, fun to drive and good image too which is important for resale.

Audi TT would be my other suggestions if you had not already committed. Maybe not 35 mpg as desired, but would get close if driven sensibly.

purchased and collected the Mini at the weekend......even though the guys at Mini (BMW) fully valeted it ready for us we still spent 4 hours the next day getting to our standard!!!! :lol:

No bill or anything in glove box.....why do you ask? Was it your mini? ;)

purchased and collected the Mini at the weekend......even though the guys at Mini (BMW) fully valeted it ready for us we still spent 4 hours the next day getting to our standard!!!! :lol:

No bill or anything in glove box.....why do you ask? Was it your mini? ;)

No mate, it was just my "attempt" at humour, as you said you had bought a mini copper the old bill reference was a police joke, albeit not a very succesful one!

Hope you enjoy the car, a good choice and lots of fun to drive.

I still have my Focus ST, although I am waiting on a dealer to contact me when an Azure Zed turns up, which should hopefully be this week. :thumbs:

Oh I see.....that does make more sense now......looking back this is quite funny because I remember even calling through to the missus to check if she did find an 'old bill' in the glovebox :bangin::bangin::lol:

Should check my messages more carefully before sending, type to quick for my own good.

Good luck with the Azure search....drops us a PM sometime and we'll have to arrange a mini meet with some of the other Norwich members! :thumbs: