Pride

FPMSL :lol::lol::lol:

Post of the year, right there. Magnificent work fella! :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here goes... think i'm about to jump in waist height here, or possibly up to my neck :wacko:

I am a teacher and dsylexic; admittedly not an english teacher; as i'd loose my job i'm that bad at writing. I rely heavily on technology to make up for my short falls, i get the students to help me spell some words when i get stuck. but my students are very understanding. They know i may not be the best at proper english; but when it comes to their practical work and technology they have someone who knows their subject inside out.

I know that alot of the spelling mistakes in Attak's thread are mine; but since that time i think alot of the forum have come to understand i'm not a mong-tard; but just your regular standard retard instead and actually; i'm not that bad even though i can't spell or check grammar very well. and people have been very supportive/accepting of me and my foibles.

but even i struggle when people write in txt on a forum. i don't feel i have a leg to stand on when people spell things badly, but the fact that i notice it, must mean its bloody shocking to you lot. :lol:

So-called "text speak" really winds me up - especially when people use "m8", for example; what's the point? Is it that difficult or time-consuming to write four letters rather than two? I spell every e-mail, post and text correctly with the appropriate grammar, and tend to ignore anyone who doesn't do likewise.

It's not just a generation thing either; a 44-year old ex-friend of mine did it all the time and I ended up not talking to her (even though she was 6 foot, blonde and gorgeous and mad).

I wouldn't judge people solely on their spelling as I know a few dyslexics (ironically a nightmare word to spell), but text speak should be banned and the offenders shot in my opinion.

My boss at work has a really bad habit of posting notices on notice boards, that have basic spelling mistakes and little or no punctuation.

I take great pleasure in "marking" them and correcting his mistakes when no one is around. Comments such as 2/10 must try harder and drawing sad faces and the likes always makes me laugh.

If he ever found out it was me I would be in deep sh..e!

My boss at work has a really bad habit of posting notices on notice boards, that have basic spelling mistakes and little or no punctuation.

I take great pleasure in "marking" them and correcting his mistakes when no one is around. Comments such as 2/10 must try harder and drawing sad faces and the likes always makes me laugh.

that's you!? I have bad news stuart, I AM your boss.

Now bend over

Now bend over

Correction.

That's you? I have bad news Stuart, I am your boss!

Now bend over!

3/10 an Improvement.

:yahoo: Only joking mate, force of habit.

Now bend over

Correction.

That's you? I have bad news Stuart, I am your boss!

Now bend over!

3/10 an Improvement.

:yahoo: Only joking mate, force of habit.

Like it :lol:

Some words for all of you to cogitate and digest:

Pedant

Humourless

Laissez-faire

Midlife crisis

I prefer these:

Correct

Accuracy

Pride

FPMSL :lol::lol::lol:

Post of the year, right there. Magnificent work fella! :D

Good try but unfortunately incorrect, inaccurate and humourless. :)

There is no such entity as "correct" or "accurate" English. You can make this judgement about Greek, Latin or Egyptian Heiroglyphics for example, because they are dead languages set in stone and therefore able to be judged as "correct" or otherwise. This is not applicable to English as it evolves by the minute.

For example, if Husky had written this post in the late 1800s or early 19th century, he would have been very annoyed by the new word "hello" which had just started being used as a greeting, first on the new-fangled telephone and later in general life. Does anybody here think we shouldn't use the word hello because it is fairly new to the English language? Our grand-children may well all be writing "m8" in 2121 and looking at old documents with this strange word "mate" in it by then and scratching their hedz.

English, and all other living languages, change constantly. Test-speak will be amalgamated over the next decade or so in to popular usage (a more correct description than er, "correct") and only the deeply sad will bring others to book for it's usage.

As for "pride", well, if you feel "a high sense of one's personal status or ego" or "the specific mostly positive emotion that is a product of praise or independent self-reflection" after writing something down "correctly" you're a bit of a nincompoop. :thumbs:

But, as a slowly changing thing there is currently a widely accepted version of the english language that is correct. At the moment text speak is just that, "text speak" something derived from the English language but not included in it. A language by nature is based on what the majority perceive it to be so of course, as the number of lazy people rise, so does the number of ridiculous additions to the language.

So what you're saying is that I am judging people that are at the forefront of the evolution of the English language? oh dear :wacko:

Captain, you are obviously a man who has studied English, you can tell that from your style of writing. You say there is no such entity as "correct" English, which Im inclined to agree with, but there is "correct" spelling, there has to be or we wouldnt be able to read what other people were writing.

Seeing as this thread is effectively about the spelling of words and not the use of words, impressive though your post may be, its not strictly relevant. We need a uniform way of spelling words like "mate" or "thanks" as without it there word stops being the word. Its also necessary to avoid phonetic confusion through accents, patois or pidgins, all of which are still recognised part of the English language.

Words like "innit", "sick", "nang", "pikey" or even "howay" are all examples of slang, and thats a lot closer to what you are referring to - this is the evolution and development of the language, these words may well become commonplace in The Times within the next 5 years. Differing spellings of standardised and accepted words isnt and wont, thats plain wrong. Or "incorrect", if you like ;)

I have a feeling I'm about to put my foot in it again but hey ho, no guts no glory :teeth:

Husky, just face it, we own a make/model of car that attracts...

chavs!

:surrender:

agreed :lol::blush:

its the new supra and it appeals so much to the gran turismo generation who have grown up with it being the car to have. it is a great car and its going to attract all sorts of people; bloody hell even i had one :lol:

Now this is a thread I can really get behind!

I really, really hate it when people come on to forums and post nonsensical replies in a semi-literate fashion. Now, I'm no journalist nor am I an old-timer being in my early 20s, but how difficult is it to articulate yourself in the correct manner?

It genuinely seems like people have two modes: work mode and non-work mode, and their excuse for bastardising our great language is "oi m8 i been writing all gud n propa at work all day this aint a english forum'. Surely, if English is your first language, what you write shouldn't require any extra effort from you to be legible?

These are the most basic and common errors that even most 10 year olds would pick up on straight away:

• [*:3iwl5liv]Your and you're - Stop confusing these you colossal bumwashers, it's simple enough to understand.
    [*:3iwl5liv]They're, their and there - Again, pretty easy to distinguish between them.
    [*:3iwl5liv]Could of - Could of? Could of?! Could OF?! Are you kidding me?! It's could have, i.e. that simpleton could have really embarrassed himself there with his atrocious use of the English language.
    [*:3iwl5liv]Loose instead of lose - The two words have completely different meanings, they are most certainly not interchangeable.
    [*:3iwl5liv]Women instead of woman - Woman: singular, Women: plural. See this all the time, it's ridiculous.

Yet I see the above mistakes every single day, and it's not done out of ignorance generally it's just pure laziness.

I must be a chav then? I cant spell. my grammar is crap. though i try to spell things properly and i try to use the proper punctuation but as in this reply you will see ive got it wrong and as its a forum and im posting a reply and not submiting a cv i am not going to check every thing i put.

it dosnt matter that i work hard, train other HSt drivers, have a national diploma in teaching,have a good income, live in a nice home, with 4 good honest daughters that have never brought trouble to my door.

it dosnt matter i have a gsoh or i bend over to help my friends and that would include any of you if you asked for my help.

Im a chav, because ive bought a car that i like and wanted and could afford. So my English isnt correct, im not as good as some of you because i cant spell or use the correct grammar?

well if you can judge me by reading my answers and judge me without knowing me then to be honest its no loss to me what so ever!

husky.I presume then that is why i never got an answer with regards my query as to a price on LED rear indicators? it wasnt worth reading?

maybe i shouldnt turn up for harewood? after all i dont want to be ignored because of my english!

I can't be bothered reading all the posts if I'm honest....

I can't spell and I'm not the best at punctuation and grammar so I won't comment on that aspect of this thread. What can I say, we all have our flaws.

Text speak however is a pile of rubbish and I will not decipher it as if someone can't be bothered to type a word properly then I can't be bothered to read it.

If I'm honest I think some of the grammar nazis need a kick in the groin. If it's text speak then game on but if it's making fun of people for spelling mistakes or a missing comma then in my eyes it's cyber bullying. Simple as that.

I must be a chav then? I cant spell. my grammar is crap. though i try to spell things properly and i try to use the proper punctuation but as in this reply you will see ive got it wrong and as its a forum and im posting a reply and not submiting a cv i am not going to check every thing i put.

it dosnt matter that i work hard, train other HSt drivers, have a national diploma in teaching,have a good income, live in a nice home, with 4 good honest daughters that have never brought trouble to my door.

it dosnt matter i have a gsoh or i bend over to help my friends and that would include any of you if you asked for my help.

Im a chav, because ive bought a car that i like and wanted and could afford. So my English isnt correct, im not as good as some of you because i cant spell or use the correct grammar?

well if you can judge me by reading my answers and judge me without knowing me then to be honest its no loss to me what so ever!

AMEN :notworthy:

i was about to post something similar.

I can't be bothered reading all the posts if I'm honest....

I can't spell and I'm not the best at punctuation and grammar so I won't comment on that aspect of this thread. What can I say, we all have our flaws.

Text speak however is a pile of rubbish and I will not decipher it as if someone can't be bothered to type a word properly then I can't be bothered to read it.

If I'm honest I think some of the grammar nazis need a kick in the groin. If it's text speak then game on but if it's making fun of people for spelling mistakes or a missing comma then in my eyes it's cyber bullying. Simple as that.

written so much better than i ever could and using less words :lol:

as jed said above; i'm no chav, i'm dyslexic.

minor errors can easily be over looked, txt speak is a no no.

I asked "Is it wrong that I judge people like this before I've even met them"

and said "I don't so much judge people on the miss spelling of difficult words or missing capitalisations or even punctuation, but things like "text speak" drive me nuts"

I don't care if you can't spell there, their and they're right or wrong, that's not what I'm getting at. It's if you can't be bothered and just write M8, B4, wiv and other things.

Husky. I presume then that is why I never got an answer with regards my query as to a price on LED rear indicators? It wasn't worth reading?

I apologise, it's more likely to be that my inbox is full to capacity at 1500 messages and I get around 20 messages a day, all of which I try to answer in full, one has slipped through the net and I'm sorry. And to answer the question on them, they are on the back burner as I can't even find time to finish a set for my own car to test. When that happens then I will look at supplying them.

In all honesty though you answered my first question better than anyone else using yourself as an example, if I prejudged you then I would have been wrong. So I shouldn't do it.

Whilst I shouldn't, I do tend prejudge people based on their writing ability. I think it is just something I do as I always enjoyed doing creative writing assignments and also, I work in a job where generally a badly written report will be thrown back at me in a heartbeat by my supervisor. I don't have the best English skills in the world, but people should be able to or at least attempt to use proper grammar. There are those who, through no fault of their own can't do it as well (dyslexia etc). However I work with a guy who is near the top end of the spectrum in regards to dyslexia and he can still generally write very well, he just has to concentrate a lot harder.

I've never been one to use text speak, mainly because I can rarely understand it myself and also phones like the iPhone basically remove the need for it. It was only really created because it used to take so long to type a text message and the limitations on how many characters could be put in a text. I do, on occasion use abbreviations for phrases though (lol, BTW, CBA etc).

I am only 23 myself, and I would say less than half of people I work with of the same age use bad grammar or text speak when doing paperwork or other written work. I have seen some diabolical work in the past though, which the supervisor was stunned at. I have a friend however who is in university and some of the work I have proof read for her friends is horrendous.

I think the best (or worst?) example of "txt spk"was from Ali G - In Da House:

"lnk cr b82rez 2g4"

"Link car batteries together" :lol:

But, as a slowly changing thing there is currently a widely accepted version of the english language that is correct. At the moment text speak is just that, "text speak" something derived from the English language but not included in it. A language by nature is based on what the majority perceive it to be so of course, as the number of lazy people rise, so does the number of ridiculous additions to the language.

So what you're saying is that I am judging people that are at the forefront of the evolution of the English language? oh dear :wacko:

TBH Husky I'm not arguing with you per se, just the concept of "correct English".

The word teenager didn't exist until the 1950s (dreamt up by by NY ad-men) but almost immediately became common usage. The very best of text-speak will be amalgamated overnight and the rubbish stuff will be discarded.

Text speak is no indicator of intelligence, pride, education or class. It (probably) can only be taken as an indicator of a comparably young age. :thumbs:

As for your last sentence, the answer is yes! Text speak is self-evidently at the very forefront of the evolution of the English language and you are judging people who use it.

We all speak differently depending on who we are talking to- whether it's to ur mates or in job interview. Writing is the same. If I'm doing a referral letter for example il use my best possible English. But if I'm testing my mates or posting on a forum il happily type u instead of you or thru instead of through. I think the majority of users on here are the same