Centre console wrapped

Jay

Hey guys and gals..... after seeing everyone giving wrapping a bash..... I thought I would do the same. I have always thought that the zed's centre console was very dull and boring..... so originally I was going to get it painted piano black ... just for a change. However I have always loved the carbon look..... but I dont have 600 bucks to shell out on the console :blush::lol: So I bought some vinyl and decided to give it a go. Now it is not perfect ... as I still have a few areas to trim and tweak..... but I thought Id post a pic up incase other people are wanting to give it a try :thumbs:

console.jpg

I might still get it painted but thought this was a wee change.... so I will leave it on just now..... Whats your views?

Yup mine is an auto......... no need to worry about the dodgy clutch and crunchy gears :blush: Plus its quicker in a drag :blush::p

I like the inside to be a little bit more subtle that the outside :lol: Altho I am looking at getting a set of brides :lol:

A couple more questions, did you use any sort of heat? A hair dryer or heat gun?

George, I had a carbon wrap on a previous car, I peeled it off along with some boiling water and it did leave a little residue in parts although nothing a bit of white spirit didn't shift quickly.

I've just 'un' di-noc'd my centre console, partly because I did a crap job of it and partly because the hot weather was lifting it in places.

It was very easy to remove and there was no residue at all underneath. Hair dryer works fine.

I'm going all out on mine now - sanding it down and doing a custom paint job...! :)

I've just 'un' di-noc'd my centre console, partly because I did a crap job of it and partly because the hot weather was lifting it in places.

It was very easy to remove and there was no residue at all underneath. Hair dryer works fine.

I'm going all out on mine now - sanding it down and doing a custom paint job...! :)

Do you have to sand it down before you wrap it then?

To get it to that stage... it prob took about 3 hours..... as there are lots of wee fiddly parts. To be honest taking the dash off took the most time due to electrics etc. I used a hair dryer which helped immensley as it allows the vinyl to stretch more. If I took it off am sure there would be a small amount of stickiness, but nothing that wouldnt come off with a bit of elbow grease :lol:

Hope that answers your questions guys :thumbs:

Jay,

Nice job there mate, looks B) - one question: Is your cubby the old style spring flip up lid?

You see, I dismantled mine by taking the door off to wrap it - and couldn't work out how to get the springs back in! So now my door is springless for the time being - can you be of any help??

Cheers! :D

Yup mine is an auto......... no need to worry about the dodgy clutch and crunchy gears :blush: Plus its quicker in a drag :blush::p

really???

i thought the auto box on the Zed was slower 0-60 than the manual box, pushed it up in to the 6 second area instead of in the 5's

only the new auto's on things like the DSG in the W brand and the porshe box on post 2005 cars hae autos that are quicker than manuals.

nice work with the wrap though :thumbs:

really???

i thought the auto box on the Zed was slower 0-60 than the manual box, pushed it up in to the 6 second area instead of in the 5's

only the new auto's on things like the DSG in the W brand and the porshe box on post 2005 cars hae autos that are quicker than manuals.

nice work with the wrap though :thumbs:

Yes as the you keep the foot to the floor in the auto also changes better than the manual. Lots of threads in the us as they have both. :thumbs:

Yes as the you keep the foot to the floor in the auto also changes better than the manual. Lots of threads in the us as they have both. :thumbs:

i'm sure the performance figures for the zed show the auto is the slower car. seen it on several sites. even the official statistics released by the manufacturer have the auto as the slower car. :shrug:

must be yanks incapable of driving a stick shift :shrug:

i'm sure the performance figures for the zed show the auto is the slower car. seen it on several sites. even the official statistics released by the manufacturer have the auto as the slower car. :shrug:

must be yanks incapable of driving a stick shift :shrug:

lol im pretty sure it would depend on who's changing gear in the manual. I can change pretty fast on my car. Its a rehearsed routine lol

Meant to say, cars looking good mate!

lol im pretty sure it would depend on who's changing gear in the manual. I can change pretty fast on my car. Its a rehearsed routine lol

completely agree, so having an auto takes the skill out of it. ;)

like you said who's behind the manual box makes a big difference.

either way, the dash looks nice :thumbs:

Thats what the americans have said so dont know, the z changes faster than you could probably put your clutch in but again it depends. but +1 its looking good.

Jay you wrapped the auto bit do you think it will stay on as if your driving for awhile it gets a fair bit toasty!

Thats what the americans have said so dont know, the z changes faster than you could probably put your clutch in but again it depends. but +1 its looking good.

Jay you wrapped the auto bit do you think it will stay on as if your driving for awhile it gets a fair bit toasty!

I hope so buddy....... it should be ok..... but I will let you know :thumbs:

Rt.......... I basically pulled the vinyl over the cubby..... so it was flush then just flatened the vinyl down over the switch and used a sharp stanley blade :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...