Can I use different tyres for front and rear?

_BR1TT0N_

Can you run them - yes

Should you run them - no

Knowing you are running different tyres front and rear is *ok* but not the best idea. Just means you have to be careful in the wet as the car wont have neutral handling and you might stick it in a hedge/ditch/lamp post/rounderbout (delete as appropriate). Only you know if its worth the risk ;)

Just being balanced it does depend on your driving style. No one is ever going to say 'yep - its all good in the hood' because you WILL have less traction with mismatches.

In saying that we've got ditchfinders on the back and Bridgestones that are on their arse on the front - we've never even had so much as a twitch from her even through the winter.

But then I tend not to push it through corners.........I'm more of a straight line man (aka bottle-merchant!)

In saying that we've got ditchfinders on the back and Bridgestones that are on their arse on the front - we've never even had so much as a twitch from her even through the winter.

You'll probably find knackered Stones and Ditchfinders are about on par with each other so actually its quite balanced. How you drive in the wet though I do not know :surrender:

eh hmm, :blush: my 19's have always had mixed tyres... Theyre gettin swapped out after this weekend so they all match. Ive ran toyo's on front and pirelli pzero rosso's on the rear. I used it on track like this and i did feel the car was uneasy. The front end felt as if the tyres were melting off and the rears felt much more stable. under breaking the car was having issues as the toyo's were giving up before the pirelli's. It didnt feel dangerous but just felt not right.

As for road driving ive never had issues as i try not to drive like a tosser. It really your donald duck to be honest :lol: I would highly recommend matching all corners. If its cost your worried about alot of people find the falkens a very good balance between performance and price.

You'll probably find knackered Stones and Ditchfinders are about on par with each other so actually its quite balanced. How you drive in the wet though I do not know :surrender:

I never thought of it like that! I said when we got it 'tyres are the first job' but its planted like a rock. Granted neither of us push it hard but even in the snow it wasn't bad........knowing my luck we'll put decent new rubber on and I'll stuff it!

Needs a couple of new ones ready for driving to Germany though :drive1

wow!! So many replies so quickly lol all reall appreciated tho!! Has anyone had any experience with these dunlops? Are the tread patterns very different between spo1 and sport max? Because I been told they both really good tyres but if they are really different tread patterns, it's too much of a risk. I currently got re050s on front and falken ze912 on rear on my stock alloys. Thanks for all these and not sure whether I want ekona to come on if it makes him angry! Lol

You mean you didn't die?

eh hmm, :blush: my 19's have always had mixed tyres... Theyre gettin swapped out after this weekend so they all match. Ive ran toyo's on front and pirelli pzero rosso's on the rear. I used it on track like this and i did feel the car was uneasy. The front end felt as if the tyres were melting off and the rears felt much more stable. under breaking the car was having issues as the toyo's were giving up before the pirelli's. It didnt feel dangerous but just felt not right.

As for road driving ive never had issues as i try not to drive like a tosser. It really your donald duck to be honest :lol: I would highly recommend matching all corners. If its cost your worried about alot of people find the falkens a very good balance between performance and price.

Why not put the pairs on each side then it will look like you have the same tyres front and rear from both sides :lol:

May not help the handling much :bang: be OK if you just left it parked close to a wall! Mind you if you take tha advice it will probaly end up in a wall!

I know I know - as the saying goes - I'll get my coat

I have got to say, there have only been 3 points in my short (5/6 year) driving carear where i have had all matcing tyres and yes the car did handle better when they all matched but the zed currently has 3 different tyres (2 rears are the same and both fronts are different to the rears and each other), my ibiza has run many different combinations of tyres and some quite frankly well under budget tyres 'corsa' for exampl mixed on each corner and theres nothing wrong with how it drove, in the normal everyday driving ie not pushing i really dont see what the fuss is about with running mixed tyres.

however if i could im sure i would have matching tyres all around on the zed.

, in the normal everyday driving ie not pushing i really dont see what the fuss is about with running mixed tyres.

omg-cat-400x300.jpg

You do understand that Ekona is going to be along ANY minute and is likely to vaporise us all for this blasphemy ! At least put some sort of placating statement in there like I did!

You dead! :lol:

I have got to say, there have only been 3 points in my short (5/6 year) driving carear where i have had all matcing tyres and yes the car did handle better when they all matched but the zed currently has 3 different tyres (2 rears are the same and both fronts are different to the rears and each other), my ibiza has run many different combinations of tyres and some quite frankly well under budget tyres 'corsa' for exampl mixed on each corner and theres nothing wrong with how it drove, in the normal everyday driving ie not pushing i really dont see what the fuss is about with running mixed tyres.

however if i could im sure i would have matching tyres all around on the zed.

A Zed on mixed tyres is a whole different ball game to the front drivers you mention. You cannot possibly getting the full potential from your Zed and in the wet it is likley to be a death trap.

I've lost count of the number of times those who have been happy having mixed tyres and have then decided to bite the bullet and get a matching set suddenly find their ZED has levels of grip they had not believed possible. But you will not know until you try ;)

wow!! So many replies so quickly lol all reall appreciated tho!! Has anyone had any experience with these dunlops? Are the tread patterns very different between spo1 and sport max? Because I been told they both really good tyres but if they are really different tread patterns, it's too much of a risk. I currently got re050s on front and falken ze912 on rear on my stock alloys. Thanks for all these and not sure whether I want ekona to come on if it makes him angry! Lol

To be fair, even I think the ze912s are sh*te, great for getting sideways your combination though, just not ideal for driving down any road :lol:

I still don't get it though. I mean surely, sarnie, you've run maybe mixed tyres on front and back of some of your cars? Ran mixed tyres on the M3, I still can't honestly believe that it's an instant death trap on any roads, but sure, it'll suck at a track.

When I had the ze912's at the rear and budget budget tyres at the front, it was.... interesting :lol:

the zed currently has 3 different tyres (2 rears are the same and both fronts are different to the rears and each other

:surrender:

I think Ekona has had a stroke reading this thread and is currently learning to type with his left bollock, hence the delay.

the zed currently has 3 different tyres (2 rears are the same and both fronts are different to the rears and each other

:surrender:

Let us know when you press the accelerator and end up in a hedge :surrender: And dont try blaming "oil/diesel/other contaminant" on the road as many others do ;)

I ran my 350z with falken on the rear and Pzero Rosso on the front and coming from Pzero Rosso all round it was f'in twitchy in all but the driest conditions. Falkens all round seemingly reduced the grip all round but balanced the car up so it was at least not as rear end happy as it was.

I think Dan (Ekona) has given up on these threads :lol:

Long and shot of it is .... Yes, you can have four totally different tyres on you car.

Thing is, it makes your car feel awful. So why would you?

I recently altered my alloys and tyres. Took it back to standard. I took Ekona's advice and bought some M PS2's. Which were (for me) VERY expensive.

The last two weeks of driving since they have been fitted have been some of the best driving I have ever FELT in my life.

Positive, flowing feedback, planted car, fantastic grip. And that is just "normal" driving.

Same car, same roads, same driver.....

I KNOW this is JUST down to my tyres. (70% tyres, 30% alloys) I will never go back to mediocre or even "top" quality tyres. I will only ever have the best tyres for my car. Yes it costs a lot, but when it transforms your car and makes your experience into something so much better... Why would you do anything else?

At the end of the day, it is down to you.

Hope that helps :thumbs:

I ran my 350z with falken on the rear and Pzero Rosso on the front and coming from Pzero Rosso all round it was f'in twitchy in all but the driest conditions. Falkens all round seemingly reduced the grip all round but balanced the car up so it was at least not as rear end happy as it was.

I have actually seen it all now, someone recommending buying cheaper, less grippy tyres so that all 4 match and the car is more "balanced", but wont stop or go round corners as quickly . :wacko:

I know Ekona will probably attack me on sight by now, but as Ive said many times, FFS think about what you are saying. :headhurt:

4 high quality, brand new matched tyres will always be best, for sure. But 2 RE050's on the front and 2 Dunlop Sportmax on the back (a mismatch no less!) will give better grip and predictability that 4 Nankang NS2's (not a terrible tyre) will. I know, Ive tried. :)

Simple fact is every time you drive your car conditions are different - there might be more or less grip, the road might be wet or icy, it might be a windy day. If you are able to adapt to these changes then you are also able to adapt to differing grip levels afforded by your tyres. If you cant adjust to these changes you shouldnt be on a road in the first place. :bangin:

As for people like slimjim up there, of course he has noticed a massive change in his cars dynamics - hes taken off tired budget tyres and fitted the best. Would he still be raving about the car if he had fitted RE050 to the back and PS2 to the front? Of course he would, its the upgrade from poor to high quality hes noticed, not the fact that all 4 tyres are the same.

So while I agree that matching tyres is a good idea, this claim that your car will spontaneously combust as soon as two different brands hit the rims is frankly rubbish. :)