In Dash Computer/ OBD2 information-FINISHED @ LAST

Cookbot

How do you want it to turn on/off?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want it to turn on/off?

• As soon as you start the car/ turn the car off, it does it automatically
    • via a NEAT!! looking button, not some loose crap looking thing
    • Powers on when you open the cubby
    • A mixture of an on button and either when the cubby opens or ignition on

Who would be interested in a car computer that:

-Runs Android 2.2 software and has access to literally thousands of applications/games. Angry Birds anyone?

-Has a capacitive screen instead of a resistive screen (this supports multi touch like iPads) that is very very sharp.

-WiFi, so if you have a phone that supports tethering or a MiFi dongle, you'd have full access to the internet, Google earth and possibly even web radio broadcasts while you're driving! Even if you don't you can buy a Vodafone dongle for about £30 and stick that in.

-Would support USB memory/HDD drives giving loads of space for movies/music, but would have an SD card of around 4gb, but expandable to 32gb if you really had the desire.

-Built in GPS software so if you don't have an internet connection, you can still use the GPS hardware.

- It would also play all your media requirements.

-Be compatible with the Bose hack and include methods to get rid of that dreaded hum.

- Have that OEM look by being contained in the Nissan Bird View Sat Nav surround.

- Could have a reverse camera for about £30 more

And all for less than £400?

I've already got enough interest to warrant building one and I want one for my car anyway, but if it's a great success. I will be able to bulk buy the parts (this will cost over a £1000) and do a load at once.

So who would be game for such technical wonder device?

Cookie

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very cool, i could be interested, i dont have the bose, i have an aftermaket headunit, how would that affect it?

also could you make it have the engine sensor to show temps and stuff like on a gtr or would that require special hardware/software? i have my own sort of unit in there similar to nurrish's but this looks alot better B)

very cool, i could be interested, i dont have the bose, i have an aftermaket headunit, how would that affect it?

also could you make it have the engine sensor to show temps and stuff like on a gtr or would that require special hardware/software? i have my own sort of unit in there similar to nurrish's but this looks alot better B)

As long as your head unit has an audio in, be it a 3.5mm jack or phono leads then It'll be ok. Probably be even better!

For engine data and stuff you would need to connect one of these into it, although I've never seen it:

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3471

not sure where you'd find one though and it's pretty pricey!

What front end will you be using?

I think you might be limiting yourself using Android as most front ends/satnav/diagnostic software wont run on it - just my opinion etc

HKS system is too expensive for what you get - have a look at http://www.blazt.biz/

Good luck! I really enjoyed building my CarPC (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40282&hilit=project+zac) :thumbs:

What front end will you be using?

I think you might be limiting yourself using Android as most front ends/satnav/diagnostic software wont run on it - just my opinion etc

HKS system is too expensive for what you get - have a look at http://www.blazt.biz/

Good luck! I really enjoyed building my CarPC (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40282&hilit=project+zac) :thumbs:

personally i agree, i looked at them when i built my carpc, you can get very cheap 7" tablets from china that run android and will fit perfectly in the dash, trouble is they are a bit naff, break often, and a poor mans substitute to an ipad.

But if you have managed to find one that isnt a cheap chinese one and can still put it all in for that cost then you might be on to a winner!

One of the really important things for me with the system is that it has a good screen, if its a cheap chinese screen that is useless in the sun I wouldn't buy it.

If i could have android on the screen the same as my phone I would be a happy man. I know how to use it already, its nice, clean and useable. Can i connect my HTC to it to utilise the internet connection on the phone allowing it interweb access?

My list of top four essential things I want as a customer

-Good screen that i can see in the sun, has multitouch and looks high quality (think ipad) also fits like it was an OEM unit

-The system is reliable, cant be crashing all the time

-system is fast, reacts to touch input in good time and processes map routes etc quickly (think tom tom)

-It is easy to use, i dont want to faff about a million menus while driving (again think tom tom)

Bonuses i'd like

-connectivity to internet

-cool looking nav software

-Plays movies and music

-turns on when the car is turned on (can be changed in a menu)

One of the really important things for me with the system is that it has a good screen, if its a cheap chinese screen that is useless in the sun I wouldn't buy it.

If i could have android on the screen the same as my phone I would be a happy man. I know how to use it already, its nice, clean and useable. Can i connect my HTC to it to utilise the internet connection on the phone allowing it interweb access?

My list of top four essential things I want as a customer

-Good screen that i can see in the sun, has multitouch and looks high quality (think ipad) also fits like it was an OEM unit

-The system is reliable, cant be crashing all the time

-system is fast, reacts to touch input in good time and processes map routes etc quickly (think tom tom)

-It is easy to use, i dont want to faff about a million menus while driving (again think tom tom)

Bonuses i'd like

-connectivity to internet

-cool looking nav software

-Plays movies and music

-turns on when the car is turned on (can be changed in a menu)

That's what annoyed me with the other nav system I had in my Z, but that's now in the bin due to numerous reasons.....

Those screens you're thinking of are the resistive type and feel like pressing your finger into a piece of cling film and look a silvery/grey colour in sunlight.

I'm looking for a unit that uses a capacitive screen which is similar to what's used on iPhones/iPads and should produce nice blacks even in sun light, but no LCD will look perfect in direct uber sunlight. These also allow multi gesture use so you can pinch to zoom etc. These screens look and feel a bit like glass or clear, solid plastic.

The problem is that these units cost £££'s and will make the final price closer to £400 than £300, but bulk buying will hopefully make it a little better.

As for speed I'm looking for a minimum of 800mhz/256mb ram which should be pokey enough to run sat software/mp3/mp4. I'm looking forward to be able to use google maps with traffic update, use the web and stream music directly from http://www.di.fm over my MiFi dongle as I have a 15gb limit! :#1:

As for turning on when the car does, that will just be simple electronics from the temporary live. I'll have a think about that when I've got a unit. Thinking telecoms relay's or 555 timer to make sure it's a timed click. (not press and hold, which will probably reset it or something) not thought about it too much yet.

Cookie

if it will work with the OBD2 leads then im up for it! any chance you could try it out? ;) i think alot of people on here would be after it as they all seem to ask nurrish for it in his system, i would pay a bit more within reason for it to run it, i already have sat nav in my headunit so thats not as important for me