In Dash Computer/ OBD2 information-FINISHED @ LAST

Cookbot

How do you want it to turn on/off?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want it to turn on/off?

• As soon as you start the car/ turn the car off, it does it automatically
    • via a NEAT!! looking button, not some loose crap looking thing
    • Powers on when you open the cubby
    • A mixture of an on button and either when the cubby opens or ignition on

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this just a tablet stuck in the cubby or am I missing something?

what do you think nurrish's is? ;)

I have never looked at a Nurrish one close up but it wasn't a dig just a question, I know a lot of people would not know where to start with mounting a tablet, getting power to it and sorting all the software out that's all.

So is this just a tablet stuck in the cubby or am I missing something?

what do you think nurrish's is? ;)

I have never looked at a Nurrish one close up but it wasn't a dig just a question, I know a lot of people would not know where to start with mounting a tablet, getting power to it and sorting all the software out that's all.

sorry mate i just re-read what i put, it sounded a bit arsey, wasnt at all intentional. apologies

sorry mate i just re-read what i put, it sounded a bit arsey, wasnt at all intentional. apologies

No worries I didn't really put what I was asking properly anyway :p

I just wanted to know if it was a tablet that could be easily taken out so i could use it for other things too :thumbs:

Another question is does the price include a retractable cubby?

I just wanted to know if it was a tablet that could be easily taken out so i could use it for other things too :thumbs:

Nah, it'll be fixed and look like an OEM fit device, so won't be removable. It does include the cubby too, The cubbys cost about £100 separately though :scare:

Nah, it'll be fixed and look like an OEM fit device, so won't be removable. It does include the cubby too, The cubbys cost about £100 separately though :scare:

Thats the problem i recon you are going to have to make a mass load of them, as when i was looking at building car pcs for people i could probably get around 5 for £30-£60 from right off etc, but to get the new part from Nissan they have to import from Japan and they are £100 before you pay any inport charges or postage...

It will connect to the OBD2 via Bluetooth. No wires, Winner! :thumbs:

Eh? So my car is Bluetoothed out of the box?

I have NO OBD2 stuff.... So how do I get this new bit of kit to link to my car's info?

(Sorry cookie, ATGNI!)

Nah, I'll provide a little blutooth thingy that plugs into the OBD2 port that talks to the sat nav unit. It'll be an option extra though as not everyone will want OBD2 info...or maybe they will?

:yahoo:

Cookie... Need a volunteer/guinipig/scapegoat ... other than yourself? :D

Yes, sounds very good indeed. Powering on when you start the car is not a big problem though, I wouldn't spend too much time getting that working. As long as you have a simply button you simply press to turn it on.

There will be times you will jump in the car and don't use it and leave the cubby closed anyway.

I have gotten used to opening the cubby and pressing the button as and when I want to use it.

Yes, sounds very good indeed. Powering on when you start the car is not a big problem though, I wouldn't spend too much time getting that working. As long as you have a simply button you simply press to turn it on.

There will be times you will jump in the car and don't use it and leave the cubby closed anyway.

I have gotten used to opening the cubby and pressing the button as and when I want to use it.

That's a point... Why not link the powering up... to the opening of the cubby hold? :)

You will need to regulate power - crank voltage will most likely blow the unit - I have a Carnetix DC-DC regulator

agreed, just work out your current consumption, if its low then you might not need a full blown PSU and could get away with a nice neat voltage regulator in a little box with a heatsink.

I'd want it without a cubby lid, if it looks OEM that would be great :)

Powering on when the cubby opens sounds good, I'd not thought of that. On the button cover that I've seen there's two screw holes that look a bit pap. I was going to put a power on button in one and a rocker switch that would switch on a the reverse camera while you're driving, switch it the other way and it'll come on when you select reverse.

As for the power, you don't have to worry about that, I'm putting this in an enclosure which will contain everything, not like the last one in my car that was held together with cable ties and bodge tape :dry:

Husky, I've actually got a surround for a pre 06 Z that doesn't have the fold up flap. I'll get some pics closer to finishing it.

Cookbot - I will be very impressed if you can get this to work - personally I dont think it will under Android and on a Tablet. What front end will you use????? What software are you thinking of using for OBD2???

I know Dave's system works well (Nurrish) - but I cant help but feel its limited

I apologise for being so sceptical, but I spent a long time researching this, and came to the conclusion that to make this viable it needed to run on a PC/Windows - I looked at Linux, Android etc etc but it was only on windows that everything 'gelled' together

My opinion only...

This is why I've ordered the parts for my car to check it all out. I'm going to use the 'torque' app for OBD2 info and won't need a front end as it already has a car mode with big buttons for car driving sausage fingers :lol:

I've loaded the SDK (Software Developers Kit) on the mac and have been running various apps via the emulator on my computer to see what they're like. Looking good so far and if that front end doesn't work, I'll make my own B)

From what I've seen, windows CE is very limited and has stability issues if you want to do anything even mildly taxing!