In Dash Computer/ OBD2 information-FINISHED @ LAST

Cookbot

How do you want it to turn on/off?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want it to turn on/off?

• As soon as you start the car/ turn the car off, it does it automatically
    • via a NEAT!! looking button, not some loose crap looking thing
    • Powers on when you open the cubby
    • A mixture of an on button and either when the cubby opens or ignition on

The blue tooth, I've not the foggyest what A2DP is but wiki says this:

Android version 1.6 (Donut) and all subsequent versions support A2DP.

It's the music streaming protocol for Bluetooth. I know Android supports it but not sure if it does in the way I hope.

iPhone -> Headunit

iPhone -> Bluetooth headphones

iPhone -> Android device?

Seeing as Android is also a mobile OS I am unsure of support for streaming music to it rather than from it. Not sure if there are any apps for it that would allow this. More research needed I think.

Hope that makes sense. Not such a massive deal with an SD card or USB connection.

Looking forward to the finished product!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the music streaming protocol for Bluetooth. I know Android supports it but not sure if it does in the way I hope.

iPhone -> Headunit

Seeing as Android is also a mobile OS I am unsure of support for streaming music to it rather than from it. Not sure if there are any apps for it that would allow this. More research needed I think.

Hope that makes sense. Not such a massive deal with an SD card or USB connection.

Bose hack and 16gb card or external HDD FTW!

I've been using the web radio the most so far, so there's unlimited music there.

Do you just leave the bose where it is? Will it still work independantly along with steering wheel controls?

And what is the BOSE hack and what does it do?

Can't wait to see the final details on this mate - well done on all the hard work!

Yea, the bose remains in place and the volume switches work. The bose hack is where you basically solder a wire to part of the tape deck part of your head unit allowing you to connect an mp3 player etc to the car.

I'm not sure if a 32gb card will work with the unit as the manufacturer states 16gb is the maximum, may do though.

iPhone -> Headunit

Bose hack and 16gb card or external HDD FTW!

I've been using the web radio the most so far, so there's unlimited music there.

Internet radio, totally forgot this bad boy is connected! Obv wifi but does it / can it use a 3G dongle? Will prob whack an old external 2.5" drive in there. Route it back to the center console cubbyhole where the phone adapter is.

Really ace work man.

Yea, I've not tried connecting a 3g dongle to it, but others have had success. I usually use my three Mifi dongle or tether from the iPhone. It will need an angled usb cable though so it doesn't foul on the dash though. like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Usb-male-up-Angled-90-USB-female-extendsion-cable-/390310558198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5ae05279f6

Stuff and things:

if you use the Google Nav software when you have an internet connection (i.e at your house) and have a route planned, it loads enough of the map to get you to your destination and works even if you loose connection. I tested this for about 15 miles and it got me home. It even handled detours well.

I've since loaded 3 other sat nav programs on as well to decide which is the best, they're only about 1gb for them all anyway.

I'm still waiting for a price for the cubby surrounds.

Cookie

You can load windows CE on it via an SD card, but to be fair win ce is papp! Not sure what what software is available for win ce either, but I think it's a dying operating system so don't expect much. Android on the other hand is still growing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just built another one tonight to see if I have the same niggling troubles as before and it seems all good so far. you can tell it's slightly faster with 1ghz processor too. Not long before they should be ready now too. :#1:

Thanks for the praise people and just ordered the parts for a lucky member on here this morning as he already has the cubby surround in his car. I'm getting 3 of the cubbys hopefully this weekend though, so will be able to, take more orders then.

Cookie has done a top job here! A lot for your money and an oem feel to it. Looks the nuts and does pretty much everything you need. I have one on order for me and another for a project car we are just finishing :thumbs:

See you at the weekend Cookie for beers :thumbs: