In Dash Computer/ OBD2 information-FINISHED @ LAST

Cookbot

How do you want it to turn on/off?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want it to turn on/off?

• As soon as you start the car/ turn the car off, it does it automatically
    • via a NEAT!! looking button, not some loose crap looking thing
    • Powers on when you open the cubby
    • A mixture of an on button and either when the cubby opens or ignition on

This is why I've ordered the parts for my car to check it all out. I'm going to use the 'torque' app for OBD2 info and won't need a front end as it already has a car mode with big buttons for car driving sausage fingers :lol: I've loaded the SDK (Software Developers Kit) on the mac and have been running various apps via the emulator on my computer to see what they're like. Looking good so far and If that front end doesn't work, I'll make my own B)

When I looked into this last year, there was only the Blatz and Consult software that was compatible with our car and normal OBD2 software didn't work - however I am not familiar with 'torque' app so cant comment. Tricky-Rickey and Hynder have looked into this and hope they can comment/confirm.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I've ordered the parts for my car to check it all out. I'm going to use the 'torque' app for OBD2 info and won't need a front end as it already has a car mode with big buttons for car driving sausage fingers :lol:

I've loaded the SDK (Software Developers Kit) on the mac and have been running various apps via the emulator on my computer to see what they're like. Looking good so far and if that front end doesn't work, I'll make my own B)

From what I've seen, windows CE is very limited and has stability issues if you want to do anything even mildly taxing!

yeah that app works on my Z and my android. If you wanna go Windows wouldn't xp be good enough?

I was watching tokyo drift in my car tonight to test a further mod to my bose, it sounded so awesome that i kept watching all the way through. The sound quality from the hack is far superior to the cd player running from an HTC, I'm no expert but I asked a guy at work and it's apparently to do with the HTC having a better ability to translate analogue and digital than the crap clarion headunit (he mentioned DAX???). So my only problem was the desire screen was a bit small, eagerly awaiting the bigger screen with movie capability.

What will be involved for internet access, is this just an off the shelf plug in dongle?

What will be involved for internet access, is this just an off the shelf plug in dongle?

Either:

A plug in USB dongle

a Three MiFi dongle (these create there own wireless network)

A mobile phone that can create a hotspot, the Iphone can, but I imagine other smart phones can too.

Rob Macdonalds blind of there free wifi, while you're smashing a big mac in your grid! :lol:

Here's a few pics from what I've been emulating.

Android1.jpg

android2.jpg

android3.jpg

The dials can be edited and moved, there's about 50 different ones to pick from. As this is the free one it has ads, the full version doesn't.

could the torq pick error codes on your car? dont think that worked on my jdm one.

Apparently it can, but I'm unsure how well it does.

I'll try it when I get my car back... :D if haltech runs on android I'd be very interested until then...good project and great for the forum

could the torq pick error codes on your car? dont think that worked on my jdm one.

do you mean it wouldnt pick up error codes or the entire app wouldnt work on a jdm, if i doesnt i will be gutted!

great work cookbot it looks cracking so far. keep up the good work :thumbs:

do you mean it wouldnt pick up error codes or the entire app wouldnt work on a jdm, if i doesnt i will be gutted!

great work cookbot it looks cracking so far. keep up the good work :thumbs:

it worked with the gauges, well some of em didnt try them all, was more interested that my bluetooth dongle managed to connect and pick the correct protocol. I can verify this next time I go visit my car if you so wish.

• 2 weeks later...

Just waiting for the parts to come in. I think that there will most likely be a 1 month wait between payment and receiving. If there's a definite demand I may try and bulk buy some components, but this will cost loads!

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!!! Got the parts today and had a quick fettle. This is going to be so awesome and the screen quality is brilliant, it's fast and is very responsive to the touch. Far better than most I've seen in direct sunlight too. Going to do some more prototyping tonight and I'll get some pics up soon.

Right a few pictures but I apologise for the poor quality images.

Video playback, the image looks blurred, but to watch looks good

DSC02771.jpg

Web radio, I've been listening to the vocal trace station at DI.fm for about 1 hour now, sounds good with no interruptions over my wifi dongle.

DSC02772.jpg

I've also tested the OBD2 port/ software and can report it works well, although I refrained from sitting on the drive revving the Z to see the gauges moving!

More to follow when I build it properly tomorrow.