Daytime Running Lights.

choptop

Had an e-mail through from Halfords who stated that all new cars from February 2011 must be fitted with the above. They also suggested fitting them to your car if it is not new :scare: Anyone else heard of this or is it because they have a large stock of lights they need to shift? :lol:

I believe it's a directive from the European Commission aimed at reducing accidents and lowering energy consumption (what - from your own car battery? Cheers...)

As for reducing accidents - apparently, a test on a range of road users, including pedestrians, cyclists, etc... found that cars with DRLs were more easily spotted coming upto junctions and so on.

Makes sense, and I guess anything that reduces accidents is a good thing?

Still - taken the EC collective genuis a while to catch on since Audi introduced them to their cars (albeit as a styling accessory) nearly three years ago...

The directive will be for new cars produced.

Motorcycles have had to legally switch on the headlight with the ignition for years. It's a good thing. I've nearly always run my cars with some form of lights on since I passed my test.

Drive with highbeams on at all time? That should keep you visible.

Next thing you know there will be a directive enforcing cars to be painted a dayglow colour with a reflective strip going around the car.

Common sense tells me that when I am near a road, there might be cars about, so I better pay attention.

Common sense tells me that when I am near a road, there might be cars about, so I better pay attention.

Unfortunately our EU overlords have to cater for the vast multitude of people on the roads for whom sense is not common...

They've had this for years in some countries, It's been law in Sweden since the 70's and visitors to the country have to drive on low beam all the time. In the States you frequently see a daylight headlight use sign, especially on long straight desert roads.

Pete

Unfortunately our EU overlords have to cater for the vast multitude of people on the roads for whom sense is not common...

Then they should leave their EU parliament building more often and see what the real world looks like.

This kind of cotton wooling is what is halting human evolution, it actually promotes human retardation because people are put into a world where they don't have to think about dangers anymore, as it is lawfully eliminated.

Saying that, I went to pull out of a junction yesterday. It was foggy and there was a dark grey car with no lights on coming. I did see it but only after I'd prepared to move off. I like to think I'm above average in my observations while driving but some people never see the need to use lights.

Bright low sun? Lights help you be seen. It's about being seen not being able to see.

To me this is a common sense move. It's better than the alternative of putting yet more crash zones and crap all over the car which increases weight and therefore decreases efficiency. It's also better than decreasing all speed limits in case someone pulls out. This might sound silly but think about the moves in road safety that have come before.....

This is a great move and one I'll welcome.

The directive will be for new cars produced.

Motorcycles have had to legally switch on the headlight with the ignition for years. It's a good thing. I've nearly always run my cars with some form of lights on since I passed my test.

if you still have your gaylander i can change it so it has always on headlights like a volvo stew

EDIT: just pay for my aberdonian get away holiday ;)

Then they should leave their EU parliament building more often and see what the real world looks like.

This kind of cotton wooling is what is halting human evolution, it actually promotes human retardation because people are put into a world where they don't have to think about dangers anymore, as it is lawfully eliminated.

I completely understand where you are coming from - but because there are so many let's say - unaware - drivers out out there, these safety measures have to be brought in to protect others. I think there should be more about driving in different weather conditions included during initial lessons and testing, rather than fannying about reversing round corners...

Bright low sun? Lights help you be seen. It's about being seen not being able to see.

Couldn't agree more - but so many people don't care about what behind them :angry: I wonder if rear DRLs will be considered?

I have had this for ages on my zed :p

Seriously though DRLs make a difference and one of my first mods was to convert my sidelight to superbright white LEDs which i always drive on with efectively as DRL and you notice it catches peoples attention especially when you are comming from behind and they are fa%*ying about :teeth:

I also agree that there a loads of other things that can be done to improve road saftey for all users but some are more implementable than others though i do think that more can be done about the current laugh we call practical driving test :scare:

Saying that, I went to pull out of a junction yesterday. It was foggy and there was a dark grey car with no lights on coming. I did see it but only after I'd prepared to move off. I like to think I'm above average in my observations while driving but some people never see the need to use lights.

To me this is a common sense move. It's better than the alternative of putting yet more crash zones and crap all over the car which increases weight and therefore decreases efficiency. It's also better than decreasing all speed limits in case someone pulls out. This might sound silly but think about the moves in road safety that have come before.....

This is a great move and one I'll welcome.

+1 I hate it when it's poor visibility and people are too thick or too lazy to put their lights on or keep their sidelights only when it's clearly not enough. Iv been coming out of junctions and seen people very late but if they had their headlights on I woulda seen them much quicker. I think drls are a good thing plus they look neat as well lol

+1 I hate it when it's poor visibility and people are too thick or too lazy to put their lights on or keep their sidelights only when it's clearly not enough. Iv been coming out of junctions and seen people very late but if they had their headlights on I woulda seen them much quicker. I think drls are a good thing plus they look neat as well lol

One of my pet hates is that some people will leave it until it's almost dark until they put their lights on, probably related to the bunch that insist on having their fog lights on all the time :rant:

Pete

norway and other scandinavian countries have skid pan training as part of their compulsory driving tuition as well

volvos have had running lights for decades as all the old volvos had the lights on day or night.

i will be offering a new zed modification coming soon where i will retro fit 2 maglights on your bumper with some gaffa tape ;)

and it will be a bargin price of 100.00 :teeth:

First aid test, really? So around 95% of the adult population if not higher know first aid? I'm moving to Germany :lol: everything they do makes sense

Yes, indeed and that is also why it is a legal requirement to have a first aid kit in your car, if the Polizei stop you and there is no kit, then they will fine you on the spot