Another big quake in Christchurch, New Zealand

bronzee

Another big quake in Christchurch, New Zealand this afternoon, Kiwi time 12.51pm, this afternoon, just over two hours ago. 6.3, only 5kms down, centred 10kms from Christchurch.

A lot of phone lines are down, and they're asking people to not use phones & mobiles unless completely necessary, so I've put a few news links for anyone that has family in Christchurch.

You can stream the talk on the radio station.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1 ... yID=191309

http://tvnz.co.nz/

If anyone is effected will give news from the radio and tv here.

We are so lucky in the UK that we do not have this problem. Hope you are ok.

You are very, no Ring of Fire for you. And all ok for me, up in the North Island. Hoping all our Zedders in Canterbury are ok.

The first large quake in Canterbury was last year September 04, and they've had thousands of aftershocks since then. Then this latest one. :surrender:

We are so lucky in the UK that we do not have this problem. Hope you are ok.

You are very, no Ring of Fire for you. And all ok for me, up in the North Island. Hoping all our Zedders in Canterbury are ok.

Glad you are ok. Hope other Zed owners are ok.

Only 'Ring of Fire' for me is when I have had a curry :D

We've heard from most of our Zedders in Christchurch/Canterbury, pretty shaken up, but ok, bit of damage.

My friends in Christchurch say they have damage to their house but are safe.

Nice quiet place you have there....It seemed so nice ! One report said there are thousands of tremors a year there, is this true ??

:scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare:

It is lovely here, normally. :thumbs: The shakes are usually only minimal, just the plates having a wee dance (like other countries in earthquake zones). Usually either South Island or lower North Island, so well away from Auckland. Very thankful of that.

I've got family in and around Christchurch. Thankfully all ok but my cousin did loose his house last year in the earthquake

That's the main thing. :console:

If anyone has people they're still trying to contact, there are contact numbers. Flick me a pm, and I'll forward the numbers.

A dedicated telephone number has been set up to deal with people concerned about the whereabouts of friends and family in Christchurch.

Callers to the line will be asked to provide details of the missing person, including the location they're likely to have been in at the time of the earthquake. The number to contact is 0800 RED CROSS (0800 733 276). People enquiring from outside New Zealand can call +64 7 850 2199. People are encouraged to do this before reporting friends and relatives missing.

pleased you're OK,mate, it's all over the TV, hear in OZ, it looks shocking.

Very much the same here. TV and radio, doesn't seem to matter which station/channel it is. The main thing is they are still managing to pull people out of collapsed buildings and more professional rescue teams have just landed and more on the way from overseas . Hopefully they'll find more that have survived.

Was much the same with the flooding in Oz, being just across the ditch. Close neighbours.

Any folks trying to reach people in Christchurch. In a lot of areas there is still no power, or phones/cells, so if you can't reach them that's possibly why.

Hi Zaz, yes it will be still quite difficult to contact people. If they try Red Cross international number, but keep trying due to overloading, they maybe able to help.

Still as at last night about 65k houses without power, water, cell phone towers are damaged or out of backup/generator battery etc. The structural damage of utilities is causing issues, as is the liquefaction.

Hope your crew's family/friends are ok.

My mates family turned out to be ok but thanks for the number immy.

Liquification is well worth a you tube as well......its bloody mental! :scare::scare:

No problem Ricey, happy to help.

Liquefaction certainly is crazy. They keep showing a clip of it here, in a swirl pool. :scare::scare: That alone has caused a lot of damage. Cars buried or half buried because of it.

• 9 months later...

Hi folks, for anyone with friends or family in Christchurch, although there have been a number of reasonably sizeable quakes again today, there haven't been any serious injuries, just a few more buildings damaged buildings and a bit more liquefaction.

Authorities are asking as before if you wish to contact friends or family, please text only, to take the pressure off the networks here.