Another big quake in Christchurch, New Zealand

bronzee

Saw this on the news earlier and thought of you, at least it doesn't seem so bad this time, can't imagine what it must be like though. Hope everyone is ok :thumbs:

Hi folks, for anyone with friends or family in Christchurch, although there have been a number of reasonably sizeable quakes again today, there haven't been any serious injuries, just a few more buildings damaged buildings and a bit more liquefaction.

Authorities are asking as before if you wish to contact friends or family, please text only, to take the pressure off the networks here.

What is liquefaction? I see it's something to do with water coming out the ground?

Its where soil/solids are shaken in such a way they act like liquids for s period of time. liquid doesn't have to come to the surface etc. imagine placing a 50p coin on a tray of sand. its going nowhere. but if you vibrate the tray, the sand acts like a liquid and the coin sinks. now scale that up and imagine the coin is a building and the sand is the ground it is built on.

Glad to hear things are not as bad as last time.

Very pleased to see you are OK Immy. It not been a good year for the guys down there. It seems like the nicer the place is to live the more natural disasters you get. I guess it may stop us moaning about our winter weather for a while.

I'm at the other end of the country, so far enough away. ;) Not ideal for those poor souls down there that are going through it all again, even though they've had daily rattles since September 2010. :wacko:

What is liquefaction? I see it's something to do with water coming out the ground?

None of these links really seem to show it as it has been in Christchurch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_liquefaction

&

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/liquefa ... rn-4668287

If it hasn't been shakes this year it's been cyclone, twisters and flooding too. :wacko::lol::scare: Still wouldn't live anywhere else.