Newbie, but not a 350z owner.... YET! :)

Hi all,

Im Anthony, 22 years old and currently looking at saving up for a 350z :D I own a Mk1 Leon Cupra R 225 at the moment with stage 2 mods and got to say im very happy with it, its currently in the process to of getting mapped but i wont bore you about my current motor lol. However, ive always liked the look of the 350z and i always said my next car will have to be RWD :p Mainly to experience some of the fun you guys have!

Ive had a look at some for sale and seen some great videos on youtube, the sound and looks are just unbelievable, soo being as i am eyeing one of these up i justw anted to learn more about them before i rush into getting one. Ive noticed being as they are N/A they are very hard to tune and to get big gains? Is this correct? Naturally adding a supercharger or turbo set up will produce some big figures, but is there a way of getting these to around 350hp with N/A mods? Ive seen Abbey motorsport do an Uprev (remap)?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Regards

Anthony

Uprev makes the car more driveable and responsive rather than giving her big gains mate. If you want big numbers it forced induction but be warned its big money.

Go out and test drive one and see what you think of it before deciding you need more power. :thumbs:

:welcome:

Uprev makes the car more driveable and responsive rather than giving her big gains mate. If you want big numbers it forced induction but be warned its big money.

Go out and test drive one and see what you think of it before deciding you need more power. :thumbs:

:welcome:

+1

IMO the Zed has plenty of power :thumbs:

Hi Anthony :welcome:

Do listen to the words of wisdom offered ;)

~300bhp FWHP RWD is a very different kettle of fish from ~230FWHP FWD.

Save up and get one asap and then decide what you need to do to improve a very accomplished car to start with.

Its not only about power but what you want from it will make a huge difference. ie drifting, fast road, trackday weapon or allround A to B car.

For example, I went for the track route and also spent close to 3K to get NA power and ended with 270WHP(316FWHP) from 250WHP :scare: But the greatest improvement worth 50BHP IMHO was a big brake kit, wider wheels with grippier rubber and full suspension upgrade.

As a result, i have sold off most of my NA mods except the plenum spacer and header back 3" exhaust (as i felt it was too much dosh tied down for 20WHP).

If i were to make a natural progression with my mods it will be to upgrade bushes and mounts all round, get a 3.9-4.08 FD and 1.5 LSD and a single carbon clutch and lightflywheel and finish it off with UPrev remap :thumbs:

But if money was no object for me and knowing what i know now i will do all of the mods i have sofar plus the above, add some track safety and enhancement stuff(lighten, race seats , roll cage, oill cooler etc), Ikeya formula sequen shifter and go for full NA power with a 4-4.2 stroker kit with forged internals, cams etc aiming for 350-380FWHP(Circa 400FWHP) - It will cost similar to FI build but more reliable, higher revs and more usable power in all kinds of driving requirements

So you will see that things will change when you finally get a zed. It maybe you may just want cosmetic enhancements or sharpen up the response with Uprev or piggy back ecu or just leave it as it is and use the saved dosh to enjoy the car thoroughly :D

Hi Anthony :welcome:

Do listen to the words of wisdom offered ;)

~300bhp FWHP RWD is a very different kettle of fish from ~230FWHP FWD.

Save up and get one asap and then decide what you need to do to improve a very accomplished car to start with.

Its not only about power but what you want from it will make a huge difference. ie drifting, fast road, trackday weapon or allround A to B car.

For example, I went for the track route and also spent close to 3K to get NA power and ended with 270WHP(316FWHP) from 250WHP :scare: But the greatest improvement worth 50BHP IMHO was a big brake kit, wider wheels with grippier rubber and full suspension upgrade.

As a result, i have sold off most of my NA mods except the plenum spacer and header back 3" exhaust (as i felt it was too much dosh tied down for 20WHP).

If i were to make a natural progression with my mods it will be to upgrade bushes and mounts all round, get a 3.9-4.08 FD and 1.5 LSD and a single carbon clutch and lightflywheel and finish it off with UPrev remap :thumbs:

But if money was no object for me and knowing what i know now i will do all of the mods i have sofar plus the above, add some track safety and enhancement stuff(lighten, race seats , roll cage, oill cooler etc), Ikeya formula sequen shifter and go for full NA power with a 4-4.2 stroker kit with forged internals, cams etc aiming for 350-380FWHP(Circa 400FWHP) - It will cost similar to FI build but more reliable, higher revs and more usable power in all kinds of driving requirements

So you will see that things will change when you finally get a zed. It maybe you may just want cosmetic enhancements or sharpen up the response with Uprev or piggy back ecu or just leave it as it is and use the saved dosh to enjoy the car thoroughly :D

Thanks for all your messages :)

Im mainly aim for it to be a fast road car to be honest, i go college once a week and will mainly use it of an evening and weekend as im in the van working up london 4 days a week. Thanks for your help GT4 Zed, that info has helped me alot. Its mainly the looks and the sounds of the Zed thats inspired me to get one. O and the fact its RWD ;)

Im chuffed with the LCR i must say, owned it a year and its ultra reliable and bags of fun considering its FWD. With a remap it should be running approx 285-295hp and 300ftlb torque which aint bad for a 1.8 turbo i guess. I suppose i must ask how reliable and how costly are the Zeds to maintain? Ive looked the mpg figures up and theres no difference to be honest to my Leon.

Ive also been looking at some forced induction versions, vortech supercharged etc.... how much horsepower can the standard internals take?

regards

Anthony

Hi anthony, welcome on board

Having been an owner for nearly 5 years now I must say the cars are very reasonsble to maintain. Although I dont do a great deal of driving in the zed (20,000miles in 5 years)

All I've had to do us every year give is s full service and change all fluids etc, the only thing I have needed to replace was a starter motor oh and drivers window motor, not bad for 5 years ownership ;)

The stock engine can handle 400-450 bhp , but it is all in the tuning and mapping and only a select few are trusted with this job , mark at abbey being one

As the others say once you have driven the zed you not have the urge for more power straight away as it puts a smile in your face, well it does mine anyway :-)

Just before I decided to sell I had bought vortech super charger and all other bits I was going to need , from memory it a cost me £5k but most were second hand parts. Add another £1.5k for fitting , mapping and the uprev license and you start to get an idea of costs

Not to mention you will need to seriously consider upgrade g your brakes to a bigger spec and also wheels and tyres to wider ones to get the power down

Hope this helps mate

Paul

Hi anthony, welcome on board

Having been an owner for nearly 5 years now I must say the cars are very reasonsble to maintain. Although I dont do a great deal of driving in the zed (20,000miles in 5 years)

All I've had to do us every year give is s full service and change all fluids etc, the only thing I have needed to replace was a starter motor oh and drivers window motor, not bad for 5 years ownership ;)

The stock engine can handle 400-450 bhp , but it is all in the tuning and mapping and only a select few are trusted with this job , mark at abbey being one

As the others say once you have driven the zed you not have the urge for more power straight away as it puts a smile in your face, well it does mine anyway :-)

Just before I decided to sell I had bought vortech super charger and all other bits I was going to need , from memory it a cost me £5k but most were second hand parts. Add another £1.5k for fitting , mapping and the uprev license and you start to get an idea of costs

Not to mention you will need to seriously consider upgrade g your brakes to a bigger spec and also wheels and tyres to wider ones to get the power down

Hope this helps mate

Paul

Cheers Paul, I guess its all about how im going to react when i take one for a test drive, the other cars i have also been looking at is the C32 AMG, only thing is, this is a semi automatic and i think i may prefer a manual for RWD.

Ill let you know when i take one for a spin i suppose. But i must say, as im getting older, power and speed aint meaning as much, as im trying to get out that hot hatch image i guess. Always nice to have a car that can turn a few heads by cruising and not having to put the pedal to the floor :lol:

ok, well first things first, i got a quote from adrian flux on a 53 plate Japanese Import and it came in at £2700 fully comp! :surrender:

Does being an import increase the insurance alot more? Im paying £900 fully comp on a Leon Cupra R at the moment. Im 22 with 5 years NCB. Anyone help or point me in the right direction? :drive1