Would the Z cope with the foot down for 24 hours?

sasha@lazytrips

I've been having thoughts on and off and have an interesting but incredibly mysterious and top secret plan which involves driving the car hard for 24 hours with only a few short stops for fuel. Having browsed the depths and breaths of the forum, I haven't found any reviews of how the car would cope with sitting at moderate revs for that long and what if anything would need doing before undertaking something like that. A few important points are that there would be at least one reasonable section of around 3-4 hours probably sitting at or around at least 5k revs for 3-4 hours.

I've got the VQ35DE and although I am well aware of its "bulletproof" credentials, has anyone either done something similar or read anything about a zed in a standard-ish set up doing something of the sort? What about other bits like the tranny, tyres, etc?

If its a healthy engine you should be ok for that component at least. Most engines are tested on long high RPM runs in test chambers.

I've driven 4 hours home to scotland at... shall we say, close to the revs you mention, in early morning and it was perfectly fine.

engine will be fine as long as all the fluids are frsh before hand and replaced afterwards. use a good oil with high heat properties. if this is on the track your more likely to see brake failure on the zed before anything else if your racing for 24hrs. so decent discs, pads and fluids are very neccessary.

not sure if its required but i;d also do the coolant and make sure the levels are all good.

Modern engines are tested for many hundreds of thousands of miles before being put in a production car, I think you'll be alright.

As long as all the fluids and engine components are in decent nick, these engines will go on and on. We had an old Audi 80 B-reg which was on 350,000 miles before it was scrapped due to a dodgy suspension. The engine was fine though.

In my opinion you either have to be very unlucky or very negligent to get an engine failure nowadays, because testing is so thorough.

Modern engines are tested for many hundreds of thousands of miles before being put in a production car, I think you'll be alright.

As long as all the fluids and engine components are in decent nick, these engines will go on and on. We had an old Audi 80 B-reg which was on 350,000 miles before it was scrapped due to a dodgy suspension. The engine was fine though.

In my opinion you either have to be very unlucky or very negligent to get an engine failure nowadays, because testing is so thorough.

A significant % of Porsche Boxster owners would unfortunatley disagree due to the IMS shaft failure, the stats on the boxster forum were actually quite scarey

Does IMS stand for Impotent Man Sausage? And RMS for Rejected Man Sausage?

Mainly due to some owners buying them for midlife crisis reasons and can't show their shoes to the ladies all the time...

lol I suppose I bought the boxster at 42 I can be accused of the midlife crisis but with no sausage problems :yahoo: In my defence I was actually looking for a 944 but got fed up with all the rust buckets I was seeing and after only having it for 4 months sold it to fund a 350z :teeth::teeth:

Probably worth being very sure of your tyres too :)

I recently had a customer drive from Scotland to Milton Keynes in a BMW on some decent Dunlops... 4 up with luggage. Car smelled a bit when they arrived, checked tyres and they were all blistered!

Maybe didn't correct the pressure to take into consideration the load?

Agree though, tyres will have to be good!

Probably worth being very sure of your tyres too :)

I recently had a customer drive from Scotland to Milton Keynes in a BMW on some decent Dunlops... 4 up with luggage. Car smelled a bit when they arrived, checked tyres and they were all blistered!

Maybe didn't correct the pressure to take into consideration the load?

Agree though, tyres will have to be good!

They were simply overloaded, 4 big blokes and a lot of stuff in the car - but an easy mistake to make, and goes to show how much margin for error with tyres there isn't always ;)

We did some high average speed driving through france and germany on our euro tour last year. High cruising speeds with a few top speed attempts thrown in for good measure.

It only amounted to around 7 hours driving in one day though.

All 3 350z's loved it. The vx220T loved it but the vx passengers looked a bit tired!

Went from Cologne to Frankfurt via Autobahn, only to find my passenger had forgotten something after we checked into hotel.

Which prompted a highspeed round trip which was done within 3.5 hours.

Zed did it without any trouble and on the following trip from Cologne to Calais, there was some "urgent" driving involved (a Jag was game and we both appeared to be very "urgent")