Foxhunting

martinmac

Should foxhunting be allowed.  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should foxhunting be allowed.

• Yes its wrong to ban it and should be reinstated
    • No it should stay banned

I think we have a pretty broad range of opinions on here so thought I would throw it open to you

The government are thinking of having an open vote on reinstating foxhunting as they feel banning it didnt represent the thoughts of the majority of the population. Do you think it should be allowed.

I live in the country so you can guess how I feel.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get any of the rich red jacket types round here really, just the dogs. I think they need to stop pretending down south that its more about pest control than a day out with the gee-gees and getting pi**ed afterwards, "The Hunt" itself is rather a overly showy and inefficient method of doing in a couple of foxes.

After all, if you just want stuff caught, you just get your local gamekeeper or trapper in don't you?

Hard one for me because I'm a friend of all things furry yet I tunderstand the 'need' for foxes to be culled. I'll be on the foxes side for this argument to balance things out! :boxing:

Culling for the sakes of protecting your livestock or crops ETC is one thing...........sending dogs off on some toff'd up poncefest to tear an animal to pieces for the sake of 'tradition' is another.

For example no foxes means no natural culling of wabbits meaning they breed out of control, which means crops destroyed - next thing you know we've got giant gangs of rabbit 'Crips' roaming the countrywide extorting farmers.

Look at this from a different perspective

- A fox kills 10 chickens and eats 1, kills a cat because its a potential threat (reality says its not but from a foxes perspective its a similar size and has sharp bits).

Now....

- How much food (beef, chicken, turkey, pork ETC) did you throw away this xmas week? Enough to feed another 10 people 1 meal (probably)? If you killed someone defending you and yours you'd possibly go to jail or maybe even get off totally.

Now.......why should the fox get torn to shreds by someone called Tarquin yet the human gets to live? :shrug:

Although I may of been watching too much Fantastic Mr Fox!

It sort of amuses me when the press go mad about urban foxes, how can people survive when they have these beasts roaming around our towns and cities.

They are moving into cities as rural areas a full of the damn things. Bad enough crashing into deer and badgers without these little sods adding to the problem.

It sort of amuses me when the press go mad about urban foxes, how can people survive when they have these beasts roaming around our towns and cities.

They are moving into cities as rural areas a full of the damn things. Bad enough crashing into deer and badgers without these little sods adding to the problem.

If urban foxes are perceived as a major threat to towns and cities then we'd best start up a new tradition to counteract the biggest single threat to human society and the homo sapien gene pool.........we shall call it the 'Chav Hunt'

Coming from a country & horse riding back ground and ex pony club and British Horse Society Member I feel able to voice my opinion.

There are plenty of other ways to deal with the fox problem - there is no need to hunt them with dogs. Unless there can be an absolute guarantee that at the end there is a humane kill then hunting should remain banned. No Master of Hounds can give this guarantee that he will get there before the pack tear the fox apart.

Farmers go out and kill rabbits if they have a problem - they can do the same with foxes. Humane traps can also be set.

The arguments about country jobs being lost is absolute tosh - farriers still have horses to shoe and all other jobs associated with hunting were only ever part time anyway.

I personally have no problem with pest control, but I don't see why it has to be made into a sport with all the pomp and ceremony. There are much quicker, easier and cheaper ways to deal with pests. You don't see people riding around in red coats on horses chasing after rats, so why fox's? Personally I really object to the glee with which the hunting takes place. Seems like it's done just for kicks under the guise of 'pest control'.

i am getting the impression that most people think the hunters are all posh toffs. believe me, my sister and her friends go on hunts and if 'chav hunting' became a tradition some of them would be the targets. its more about a good day out and a drink to most of them. i cant remember her ever telling me they caught any foxes.

my mum keeps chickens and she has lost many to foxes. now i certainly cannot be bothered sitting out in the cold at night waiting to shoot the buggers so if they can kill of a couple while hunting then so be it.

and as for this humane kill bs... i am sure the foxes are gentle with all there kills. in fact they definately are. they just spread the feathers all over the place and leave bits of torn up chicken all over the place so we can make a curry out of it.

while i am having a rant... should i stop my cat going out because he kills rats? i think not.

I'm not against fox hunting, just the sort of people who do it, and the way they go about it.

As a landowner I agree that foxes are a pest, but they should be kept in check in a humane way.

We have had many run in's with the local hunt here, who are arrogant pr**ks, and think they can race across our land damaging walls even without our agreement. The last time they tried it got a little out of hand and the police had to come. I won though :teeth:

When did fox's become a "pest", they need to eat and have as much right to live on this planet as anything else.

All those toffee nose twats chasing a poor fox for miles over fields only to have their blood thirsty hounds rip the poor foxy to death, They should be actually be ashamed of their so called

"sport".

Just shoot the fox and be done with it.

Shame on all those who support "fox hunting"

I can think of better things that need chasing across a field and then being ripped to death. Maybe one example is the toffee nose red coats. W4nkers they are.

Glad it was banned. should stay banned FOREVER.

Thats my rant ..........next........

If you live in the country or know someone that does then you will know what problems foxes cause.

I live in the country and apart from taking my mum's chickens a few years ago I don't know of any problems at all, well O.K, they raid my bin now and again. They certainly don't fly tip, break into houses, steal cars or instigate anti-social behaviour, in fact they do a great deal of good keeping down the rodent population. Domesticated dogs are more of a nuisance around here. In any case, fox hunting hardly controlled the fox population (its done entirely for peoples enjoyment), cars are much more efficient....it's just that I find it difficult to come to terms with the fact that people actually enjoy watching an animal get ripped apart. :surrender:

Pete

Coming from a country & horse riding back ground and ex pony club and British Horse Society Member I feel able to voice my opinion.

There are plenty of other ways to deal with the fox problem - there is no need to hunt them with dogs. Unless there can be an absolute guarantee that at the end there is a humane kill then hunting should remain banned. No Master of Hounds can give this guarantee that he will get there before the pack tear the fox apart.

Farmers go out and kill rabbits if they have a problem - they can do the same with foxes. Humane traps can also be set.

The arguments about country jobs being lost is absolute tosh - farriers still have horses to shoe and all other jobs associated with hunting were only ever part time anyway.

Perfectly put !

When did fox's become a "pest", they need to eat and have as much right to live on this planet as anything else.

All those toffee nose twats chasing a poor fox for miles over fields only to have their blood thirsty hounds rip the poor foxy to death, They should be actually be ashamed of their so called

"sport".

I can think of better things that need chasing across a field and then being ripped to death. Maybe one example is the toffee nose red coats. W4nkers they are.

did you even read my post?

they arent all arrogant *******, granted some are but a lot are just horse owners who want a good day out.

its kinda like saying all football fans are hooligans who want a fight with the opposite supporters after every match

stereotyping. and it makes you look like a fool

"sport".

they arent all arrogant *******, granted some are but a lot are just horse owners who want a good day out.

its kinda like saying all football fans are hooligans who want a fight with the opposite supporters after every match

Nope didnt read any posts mate, and tbh I dont give a sh1t if it makes me look like a fool.....the fools are the ones riding their stinking horses chasing foxs all over the countryside.

And just too repeat, I dont give a sh1t what people think about me or what opinions i have OK....... :boxing:

"sport".

Horse owners who want a good day out can go drag hunting or point-to-pointing - no need for there to be a kill at the end :shrug:

"sport".

I also speak as I find and I have only ever met total arrogant kn*bs.

I would wonder why decent folk would even want to hang out with the local hunt here. I would like to think that these guys and girls are very much not the norm