Snow socks

bounty78

I thought i would share my experience of these with everyone. Have been in Newcastle all weekend and have only just got back to Notts. I put the snow socks on my rear wheels for the first time this morning (bought them off ebay :p )and i am very impressed with them :yahoo: they were brilliant :#1::thumbs::thumbs:

No more rear wheel spin..the Zed felt a lot more sure footed. I tried to get up a hilly slope that was very poorly gritted with black ice(people from Northeast might know the private car park in front of St. James Park stadium-next to a pub). It was the same slope that i struggled with last year :thumbdown: And there was two BMW that were stranded in the same car park this morning because of rear wheel spin. No drama in the snowsocks. Went up the slope like a four wheel drive. :yahoo::thumbs:

I am NOT suggesting they are better than the winter tyres or a cheap diesel run around but i am merely suggesting a cheaper and cost effective alternative :thumbs: I live in a rented flat and i haven't got a garage to store the summer tyres.

I had a lot of looks from all the Geordies this morning(Newcastle United FC vs Chelsea home match)..and they weren't checking out my Zed..was stopped by a copper at the traffic lights and he wanted to know what they are and if they are any good. I think i may well have started something in Newcastle :lol::lol:

Was the only car with them on.My brother is getting a pair for his front wheel drive Audi A3.

It works better if you could afford a set of four (front and rear) socks for a rear wheel drive car but i am skint at the moment. the pair at the back would do for the time being

So my solution or "cure" for the Zed's winter "disease"

1) frozen windscreen wiper- get a silicone wiper blades :thumbs:

2) sticky/frozen door- silicone grease smeared all over the door rubber trim(learnt this from rtbiscuit) :thumbs:

3) poor traction on icy road/snow- GET SOME SNOW SOCKS!!! They ROCK!!

I am a lot happier in the Zed this winter..it can be a winter car if u rectify all these minor glitches :thumbs:

Mike

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a question,

do you just put them on in the morning and drive all day, or do you have to take them off as you pass between frosted and snow cover roads and clear gritted roads.

i just wandered if you drove them on a clear motorway would they shred ?

i have a question,

do you just put them on in the morning and drive all day, or do you have to take them off as you pass between frosted and snow cover roads and clear gritted roads.

They should only be used on snow. Tarmac will rip them up - but how fast they will rip up I dont know. AFAIK you use them to get out of the snow onto a gritted road then take them off.

i have a question,

I think you can drive them on tarmac for a short duration, but they have a max speed too, somewhere around 20-25 mph i think. :thumbs:

I was going to get snow socks last year but thought I'd benefit from having days off work. If I get the socks I'll have to go to work. BUT they for sure would be a great help in an emergency if the weather got really bad!!

Just out of curiosity how long did it take for you to put them on?

Have looked into these myself was gonna post up to see if anyone had used them. Dunno if il benefit tho cos most of my journey is main roads which are usually clear. Only place I get stuck is the driveway entrance so il prob get the plastic emergency track things

How much did u get the socks for?

Gosh..lots of questions you lot :lol::p:headhurt:

Woody:they are about £47 inc p&p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Rich: Zugara and Chris are both right..not supposed to use them on bare tarmac even though i did a bit of this. You are not supposed to drive more than 30mph in them. They meant to get u out of tricky areas-black ice/thick snow ungritted areas and u take them off when u hit bare tarmac. It's a "get u home" invention.

Chris: i think he sell them in many different sizes..worth dropping him an email :thumbs:

Newbie1980: if you put in silicone gel on ebay. u should come up with a few selections..any would do.

Wasso: it took me 20mins with the two of us. Might be easier to jack the wheels up though

Disclaimer: I shall not be held responsible if u think they are rubbish..this is merely my own opinion of them. If u want to drive in all conditions and on bare tarmac at breakneck speed..then get yourself some winter tyres. But u would be :wacko: to be driving fast in this condition.

Sorry to keep the off topic subject going but is the silicone gel the same as silicone grease used by plumbers? and does it stop the windows from freezing/sticking?

Yes Rog......

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=30030

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/36875-silico ... visol.html

Yes..silicone grease i mean :blush: first post ammended