Snow socks

bounty78

Chains are illegal on UK roads for a very good reason, as soon as you hit a gritted road with chains on it will be like driving on ice :scare:

Winter tyres are very good, but very expensive. I saw a bit in Evo mag where they had a big Jag on winter tyres vs summer in the snow and they said it was pretty much like driving normally, and their lap time was significantly quicker.

I'll say it again though, dont expect Snow Socks to be used for daily driving, they are for emergenices when you get caught out in proper snow and cant move. If you want to DD in snow, you need snow tyres on a Zed.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't intend to use the chain for gritted roads...don't want to be responsible for causing potholes on the road. :thumbs: Will only be using it to get out of ungritted snow or icy road where i live. It's easier to put them on and get them off. :thumbs:

So are snow socks harder to fit than chains? I got the impression they should be about the same, and serve the same purpose :)

The snow socks can be tricky to put on if you don't jack the wheels all the way up,..a bit like putting on a pair of glove blindfolded. You need 2 person for the job..one to drive back and forth while the other person has to give instruction. That's only way you could get the rest of the socks on. It's a one man's job if you jack the wheels up. Realistically, can't do this at the hard shoulder all the time-it's just impractical. Have a look at the snow chain youtube..looks much easier..there is no need to drive the car few inches away just to get the rest on. :thumbs: Only downside of the chain is i'm unsure about the clearance under the wheel arch..definitely not an option for those who had lowered their Zed. :thumbdown:

do winter tyres really make a significant difference?

:shrug: anyone any experience with snow chains?

Not legal to use in the UK. :bang: How stupid is that? :shrug:

According to the AA they are legal in the UK

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... tyres.html

But subject to note (5) that there must be enough snow covergae so that you don't cause road damage.

will keep everyone posted once they come thru the post :thumbs: ..well..if they ever come thru the post..not seen royal mail for days now :bang:

The mail van doesn't have snow sock... so you won't get your snow socks until the snow melts :doh:

I wasn't expecting to use it for this time round but the next one..winter has officially just started..it's december :)

Winter tyres are still the best if u could afford them or has a place to put away your summer tyres.

Or get hold of any!!! :( Tried for weeks and weeks but no success...apparently the tyre depots are low on all stock and zed tyre sizes are not your average size!!! Some internet sites are showing stock of winter tyres when really they are all weather tyres pretending to be winter ones! :wacko:

Winter tyres are still the best if u could afford them or has a place to put away your summer tyres.

Or get hold of any!!! :( Tried for weeks and weeks but no success...apparently the tyre depots are low on all stock and zed tyre sizes are not your average size!!! Some internet sites are showing stock of winter tyres when really they are all weather tyres pretending to be winter ones! :wacko:

Have you tried mytyres.co.uk? I bought some winter tyres from them a few weeks back and they had a larger selection than anywhere else I'd found online.

Yes...they kept putting the phone down on me! :lol: When I looked on line they didn't have matching front and rear so phoned to double check...when questioned they put the phone down!!! (Think my enquiry was too complicated!) :lol: Then spoke to my local tyre garage who informed me one of the so called winter tyres they were selling was not infact winter at all despite their £300 price tag!!! :scare:

Anyone tried the 'autosock' ones? They are TUV approved so would recon they are very good... heard about a few knockoff ones that aren't as good. Would need a set here since they don't grit many of the roads here in Dublin (only main roads) They are all out of stock in Ireland and the UK...

http://www.autosock.co.uk/faq.html

Q3: What sort of conditions can I use them in?

A3: They'll improve traction on any snow or ice - even in soft, deep snow, or in wet snow. It's recommended that you take them off when you get back to tarmac, although the reality is that they probably will be driven on tarmac during those intermittent tarmac / snow / tarmac / snow conditions experienced before leaving the snow for good. (The TÃœV test included 50 kilometres at 50 kph on dry tarmac. AutoSock passed this "Misuse test", but of course tarmac driving is not recommended as it increases fabric wear very considerably.)

Was sitting looking at winter tyres and found something pretty interesting; have used the eire tyres place before (with very good result, cheaper then camskill etc)

http://www.dackonline.se/

&

http://www.eiretyres.com/start.html

Funny that they are the same frontend exactly bar the top left corner :doh: Think I'm going down the sock line if I get stuck they seem to be a good option to get out of an ordeal until I can get a cheapish winter tyre and stick on my 17" for next year. Also worth mentioning that 'old' rubber winter tyres perform far poorer then brand new ones due to the rubber hardening. the Z could do with some extra additional weight in the rear, sand or coal bags would do nicely :drunk: I used a carpet the last time I reversed up into the drive (if you got a LSD diff you need to only put it on one side too)

I'm weighing up the autosock ones or a set of snow chains. My journey to work consists of 6 miles of country lanes which, theres no chance of any tarmac being visible.

Just reports of people saying socks are easier to get on whilst others say chains are... Hmm!

I'm weighing up the autosock ones or a set of snow chains. My journey to work consists of 6 miles of country lanes which, theres no chance of any tarmac being visible.

Just reports of people saying socks are easier to get on whilst others say chains are... Hmm!

look at the video's on the autosock ones, deffo easier then chains but both are supossed to be pretty easy.

Got mine this morning..

Just tried them in the works car park (nice and icy) firstly reversed back from my space, slippy as hell..(as a test).

Put them on(it was actually a bit difficult) i had to remove my watch, and got covered in dirt on hands and forearms(so if you're going to need these, have some gloves with you..

Anyway, struggled a little putting them on, in the end i folded the elastic bit around my hand and pushed with my finger tips, did this all the way round where I could, both sides(one side was easier as i was on a slight slope - thus more arch room). Reversed back and put then next bit on, tried it out and wow, they work better than i thought..

Worth the money - yep, seems like they are useful and will definately help,

messy - yep

difficult to put on - ish, but not that bad, saves nearly crashing

the only issue now is, finding somewhere decent enough to pull over to put them on, i was going to(when needs be) pull over on side of road(up a kerb) but I can see how this would make arch clearance even worse, so god knows.