Potential new buyer

Hi all,

I'm Chris, I'm 27, from the south east of the country (Kent).

I'm currently a 1994 MX5 owner (project car with quite a few mods) looking at selling up and getting a 350Z around May 2011.

Thought I'd join up and get clued up before spending any money.

My current ride

4411386680_c6ab6c65ea.jpg

Spec: 1994 Mk1 1.8 UK Spec: BEGI Shanghai-S Turbo System | MegaSquirt PnP | Universal Intercooler | Bailey DumpValve | PECO Exhaust | ROKKA suspension | Low-Pro Headlights | RS Aizawa Bumper | Goodyear F1 Rubbers | JDM Seats (uprated speakers) & Split Sunvisors | Mohair Roof with Heated Screen | Pioneer ICE with iPod Interface

So what do I need to know about the 350Z when looking to buy? My budget is £8-9k, and from what I've seen so far I fancy a gunmetal/grey with black wheels and GT pack. I also like the idea of flappy paddles...

The biggest issue for me so far is the cost of road tax. I've seen a few cars within my budget, and my insurance isn't too bad either.

I look forward to becoming part of this community (and an owner of course!)

:welcome:

if you go for the earlier models, 276 version then the road tax is cheaper than the newer ones by about half.

and you should easily find what you are after within your budget.

read teh faqs and buyers guides on the forum, have a search as i'm not sure where they are, plenty of info on here though

good luck with the hunt

So what do I need to know about the 350Z when looking to buy?

It's quite expensive to run. Drinks a lot, tyres and servicing cost a few bob. Mods cost a few more too.

But it's the most fun car you'll ever drive and the coolest one in any parking lot. Honest :)

Ok, here we go ... 276 version? :)

It's band M according to my research, which puts it around £450 a year?

276 version is currently in special band K which is £245. Not sure for how long though.

How do you tell the difference between a M and K band car?

Thanks for all the messages so far. Wish I could be making a purchase sooner!

Is the flappy paddle gear box good on the Zed?

Hello Chris, nice mx5, I`m a fellow owner, in the process of building two of them as track toys with my mate, 98 1.8s Mk2 JR MP62 with water/meth injection, Koni suspension soon to change to Meister R`s, T.R Lane rollbar, R888`s + some falkens for skidding :drive1 & the list goes on. And a 89 Mk1 eunos 1.6 JR MP45 with MK2 engine & drivetrain, Meister R`s as above. Where abouts in the SE are you? There is a meet soon Christmas Cracker Special Your more than welcome to come along & introduce yourself. It`s not soley Zeds theres a few others coming, may even have my brother in the MX5 ;) Will give you a chance to look at a few Zeds of different years and certainly levels of mods from stock to complete custom builds Madmarky There are a few new members coming to this so don`t be shy ;)

SBR68.jpg

SBR.jpg

BrandsHatch2ndNov170.jpg

Ok, here we go ... 276 version? :)

It's band M according to my research, which puts it around £450 a year?

276 version is currently in special band K which is £245. Not sure for how long though.

Thanks for all the messages so far. Wish I could be making a purchase sooner!

Is the flappy paddle gear box good on the Zed?

Welcome to the forum :wave: Happy shopping :teeth:

Keep doing your research - I have yet to see a 350 with a flappy paddle gearbox ;)

- I have yet to see a 350 with a flappy paddle gearbox ;)

Didn`t Marzman put one on his JDM Auto? Or am I just making it up again :bangin:

You're right mate - i did. Although i made it from scratch and designed the circuit/switches myself etc!

An OEM looking paddle shift kit can be bought for around £400 and it is easy to fit - its called the Works Bell Column Shifter Kit.

band K is pre March 21st (?) 2006

oh and :welcome:

Correctomundo, but watch out they are usuallly incorrectly advertised in auto trader etc as the £450 ish range, as I found out when I bought mine.

Welcome :wave:

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals :)

So at the moment I'm looking for...

2002-2005

UK or Jap Import?

Gunmetal or silver

GT Package

19" Wheels (black if possible)

Some sort of rear spoiler I think

Black interior (all the gunmetal ones I've seen have tan leather - is that correct?)

Sound system with iPod and iPhone intergration

Sat-Nav - defo a double din touch screen HU at the least.

I'm not looking at modding it as I have my previous car - it's just more things to go wrong and complicate.

I'm right down on the tip of the South East. Margate.