how often do you top up your oil ?

cerealuk

I think oil consumption is particularly a problem with the Rev up engine :blink:

There is no set patern to the consumption and on average i need to top up between .5-1L every three months. therefore I always check the level weekly or before any major hoon.

From your comments above the DE appears to be fine but i will still do checks for peace of mind rather than get oil damage.

I think i top-up with about 250-500ml of oil between changes (4k-5k miles). The car has 106000 miles on the clock, and is both a daily-driver and weekend warrior :teeth: Given that Honda think 1000ml per 1000miles is 'within tolerance' for their S2000 engines, i think a max of 500ml every 5000 miles or so is fine. No idea where it burns it/spills it. No puddles on the drive so i reckon its the way i drive ...... quite a lot of "off the throttle" overrun listening to the exhaust pop and burble B)

I had to top up yesterday, my oil pressure guage started dipping when i brake, i had to almost perform an emergency stop saturday due to some tit pulling out on me, the guage almost hit 0 .. then the oil light came on for two seconds so i thought it would be best for a top up.. whole bottle of oil later and she's fine.

Just curious though, how much oil is recommended once the oil light comes on as the dip stick isnt very good :D

I had to top up yesterday, my oil pressure guage started dipping when i brake, i had to almost perform an emergency stop saturday due to some tit pulling out on me, the guage almost hit 0 .. then the oil light came on for two seconds so i thought it would be best for a top up.. whole bottle of oil later and she's fine.

Just curious though, how much oil is recommended once the oil light comes on as the dip stick isnt very good :D

The oil light comes on when oil PRESSURE is low NOT when the oil LEVEL is low ............ when the light comes on it's usually too late :thumbdown:

Not had to top up yet.

Doogyrev gave me some good advice when I first bought the car. When you are doing 60 in 6th the oil :scare:temp :scare: should be on 60. If it's not look at your oil, if it is then just keep on going. Been spot on so far.

:scare:

guess you mean PRESSURE

Not had to top up yet.

Doogyrev gave me some good advice when I first bought the car. When you are doing 60 in 6th the oil :scare:temp :scare: should be on 60. If it's not look at your oil, if it is then just keep on going. Been spot on so far.

guess you mean PRESSURE

Lol you got me that was indeed what I meant.

Your comment reminds me of a journey years ago in my dads old 1927 Austin ulster, it was a hot day and we were trying to focus on the temp gauge sticking out of the top of the bonnet. Leaning forward we saw it was well in the red when the thing shot up 20 feet in the air, landing behind the car to be run over by the car behind.

Not had to top up yet.

guess you mean PRESSURE

Lol you got me that was indeed what I meant.

Your comment reminds me of a journey years ago in my dads old 1927 Austin ulster, it was a hot day and we were trying to focus on the temp gauge sticking out of the top of the bonnet. Leaning forward we saw it was well in the red when the thing shot up 20 feet in the air, landing behind the car to be run over by the car behind.

:lol:

The oil light comes on when oil PRESSURE is low NOT when the oil LEVEL is low ............ when the light comes on it's usually too late :thumbdown:

Ok so surely a low oil level will result in a low pressure will it not..?

Either way i was low on oil.

• 1 month later...

I've just had that same problem today. My oil pressure was fine yesterday, on my way home today it was sitting between 0 and 30! Kept dropping really low as I was braking.

Did topping up just sort it in the end for you then?