If there was nothing

Zugara

if the universe is infinitely big, then the answer is simply that it isn't expanding into anything; instead, what is happening is that every region of the universe, every distance between every pair of galaxies, is being "stretched", but the overall size of the universe was infinitely big to begin with and continues to remain infinitely big as time goes on, so the universe's size doesn't change, and therefore it doesn't expand into anything. If, on the other hand, the universe has a finite size, then it may be legitimate to claim that there is something "outside of the universe" that the universe is expanding into. However, because we are, by definition, stuck within the space that makes up our universe and have no way to observe anything outside of it, this ceases to be a question that can be answered scientifically. So the answer in that case is that we really don't know what, if anything, the universe is expanding into

make sense !!!!

if the universe is infinitely big, then the answer is simply that it isn't expanding into anything; instead, what is happening is that every region of the universe, every distance between every pair of galaxies, is being "stretched", but the overall size of the universe was infinitely big to begin with and continues to remain infinitely big as time goes on, so the universe's size doesn't change, and therefore it doesn't expand into anything. If, on the other hand, the universe has a finite size, then it may be legitimate to claim that there is something "outside of the universe" that the universe is expanding into. However, because we are, by definition, stuck within the space that makes up our universe and have no way to observe anything outside of it, this ceases to be a question that can be answered scientifically. So the answer in that case is that we really don't know what, if anything, the universe is expanding into

make sense !!!!

Hmmmmmmmm, yep! :doh:

I thought the size of the universe was finite, after all it started with the 'Big bang'....i.e from a single point smaller than a single atom, and expanded from there. Mr Hawking just told me it expanded to the size of an orange in less than a trillianth of a second....and within 100 seconds it was as big as our Solar system (trillions of miles across).

so it's size has changed constantly ever since, proof of which is the red Dopplar shift observed on every visible galaxy, meaninig they are moving away from us, i.e. its expanding. Its not expanding into anything though 'cos Spacetime doesn't exist outside of the Universe..................apparently! :wacko:

If there is then a finite size, surely it stop and start to return, :scare:

Just another question, if you were travelling at the speed of light, and had your headlights on, would they actually be "off" as the light beam from the headlights couldnt themselves travel faster than you! :shrug:

Heavy questions but its sh1t on telly :lol:

Thats well funny!! Me and the missus were both bored sh*tless on holiday and started talking about this.

After about 10 mins of trying to remember some of the wikipedia info I eventually admitted I didn't have a fricking clue what I was on about and grumpily settled back to my beer.

:snack:

If there is then a finite size, surely it stop and start to return, :scare:

Just another question, if you were travelling at the speed of light, and had your headlights on, would they actually be "off" as the light beam from the headlights couldnt themselves travel faster than you! :shrug:

Heavy questions but its sh1t on telly :lol:

Yep Paul. it will begin to contract again but bont worry it wont start for about 28 billion years!!!!

As for your super light speed car, the speed of light is always relative to your point of view, so the light would beam from your headlights at the speed of light, relative to you, the driver, no matter what speed you travel at.

Its unlikly that youll be able to try it though, 'cos as you approach the speed of light you need to use more and more energy for smaller gains, and to actually reach lightspeed you need an INFINATE amount of energy...... even forced induction wont help then :nono:

*insert Stephen Hawking explanation here*

I started to watch this but decided it was far too heavy for a Saturday night :surrender::headhurt::lol:

I am so with you there! :lol:

I spent most of my Saturday evening flicking between Stephen Hawking and Cheryl Cole....

Anyway he should just admit the answer to Life, The Universe & Everything is 42 !

*insert Stephen Hawking explanation here*

I started to watch this but decided it was far too heavy for a Saturday night :surrender::headhurt::lol:

I am so with you there! :lol:

I spent most of my Saturday evening flicking between Stephen Hawking and Cheryl Cole....

Anyway he should just admit the answer to Life, The Universe & Everything is 42 !

No Dave NO! Its 350 :lol::lol:

What is "space" expanding into? :shrug:

The most distant galaxies that we can observe are 18 billion light years away and they are receding at 98% the speed of light. Beyond that, there are certain to be galaxies that we can't detect as they are travelling faster than the speed of light, relative to us. How is this possible? Well, if we are moving away from the area of the big bang at 30% S.O.L and another galaxy is going in the opposite direction at 80% then we'll never be able to observe it. If you assume that space is infinite, mind boggling and difficult to grasp, then our universe is simply expanding into empty space. Scientists are divided about the fate of the universe, will it expand forever or will it collapse on itself. It would seem at the moment that infinite expansion is the most likely scenario as scientist estimate that unless there's a whole lot of things we can't see then there isn't enough mass for the universe to collapse. How they figure out the weight of the universe is beyond me.

So what's beyond our universe? Just empty space? Maybe, or an infinite number of universes like ours at distances that we can't comprehend, anything's possible. I don't accept Stephen Hawkings version of events, I prefer the older big bang theory :lol: . Actually, I never dwell on this for too long, I'd go mad if I did :bang:

Pete