Other car advice please - 300C may have to go?

stanski

My recent love affair with the 300C is going very cold at the moment.

Such a shame its a solid beast that is perfect for my long commutes to work and piddly easy to drive however as I have discovered Chrysler has been penny pinching in some areas and unfortunately for me its key engine and gearbox components! Everything has been sorted under warranty and it will probably be bomb proof for ever now but I am losing faith in it now?

I am seriously thinking of selling - paying off a few debts and getting something a lot cheaper, to buy and run, simpler to maintain myself.

Eventually I will only run the Beetle and the Van to work but as the Beetle wont be ready yet I thought about a temporary stand in?

So options I have thought about?

MR2 roadster again (48mpg and cheap to run know them well, had 2)

Honda Prelude? anyone had one of these?

Toyota Starlet - cheap as chips any good?

Nissan almera GTI (or SRI whichever it is?) any good?

Got to be Japanese and cheap to run but no biscuit tins please - I have a 700 mile commute every week?

Appreciate any advice on above or any others?

I was going to suggest a Civic Type R FD2.

But then I read you want cheap. And they are still £18k ish to get hold of.

FTO?

Cheap as chips to buy, and pretty cheap to run if you get the GPX rather than the MIVEC.

if you just want a cruiser then i'd say get the prelude. bullet proof engines, go for miles, reliable and comfortable.

speak to BM he used to have one.

mr2 is great had one to and very comfy, personally i can't go back to cars it always has to be something new. so if your going on the same style then the MX5 is a definite to look at, great to drive, decent boot compared to the mr2 FE RWD nice and balanced setup less likely to spin out like the MR2 and similiar MPG

My recent love affair with the 300C is going very cold at the moment.

Such a shame its a solid beast that is perfect for my long commutes to work and piddly easy to drive however as I have discovered Chrysler has been penny pinching in some areas and unfortunately for me its key engine and gearbox components! Everything has been sorted under warranty and it will probably be bomb proof for ever now but I am losing faith in it now?

I am seriously thinking of selling - paying off a few debts and getting something a lot cheaper, to buy and run, simpler to maintain myself.

Eventually I will only run the Beetle and the Van to work but as the Beetle wont be ready yet I thought about a temporary stand in?

So options I have thought about?

MR2 roadster again (48mpg and cheap to run know them well, had 2)

Honda Prelude? anyone had one of these?

Toyota Starlet - cheap as chips any good?

Nissan almera GTI (or SRI whichever it is?) any good?

Got to be Japanese and cheap to run but no biscuit tins please - I have a 700 mile commute every week?

Appreciate any advice on above or any others?

I think the Starlet and the Almera are out of the question for 700 mile a week commute. I have a 400 mile a week commute which started in a small car but gradually broke my resolve.

You do really need the comfort of a saloon, four doors, wheelbase, size all factors in returning a comfy drive.

After going through the same process as yourself and driving more or less every Jap car variant I finally plumped for a Honda Accord Type S with all the goodies -- second hand of course and only a 2.0 Litre but very good for the long journeys.

I-VTEC engine has given no issues yet... finger crossed, and with the cruise on returns an easy 38mpg but still has a bit of punch when you need it.

Just an opinion,

:wave::wave::wave:

Thanks everyone for your advice. :D

I agree the main reason for getting the 300C is for all the reasons mentioned - big cars are best on long journeys and make life so much more relaxed especially during the winter months.

My plan was to keep the 300C until it ran into the ground but a 2008 car to have so many stupid issues (design faults) and this is a Mercedes engine and running gear remember, is not filling me with confidence. It is also our long distance going on holls car and I cant take the chance of a breakdown with a 5 month old baby on board? With the van I can fix it myself normally but this pile of electrics diesel and black magic makes things a little complicated.

I only fancy the MR2 as I know them well and had them before , the MX5 although a great car has never really appealed to me that much but Lucy would love it so I would never drive it!! :lol:

I know what you mean about the Starlet - I was just thinking simple car cheap to buy etc easy to work on low tech but still Jap and well made.

I had the previous Avensis which was an ace car but dull like you would never know...... the new one on the diesel engine is supposed to be good also but I am seriously going off diesels so it has to be petrol , not a huge engine and realistically looking not more than £3.5K.

I know the Honda Accords are pretty bomb proof but they dont inspire me at all? Not keen on the civic for the same reason?

The Almera although a boring looking car is quite light on its feet and cost 100's to buy!

I looked at FSO's years ago but heard they were slow and every one I have seen had duff panel fit? did'nt know there was another version of it?

Looked at Integra Type R's but again expensive and probably the parts are too?

RX8's as everyone knows on this forum I love them to bits however the best I ever got with mine on this commute was 28mph max and thats not really good enough plus emmisions tax band cost etc its too expensive to run for me now? Shame as they are great cars.

Realistically I should buy a 5 series diesel beemer and join the rest of the walking dead but I cant do it! Its just not me :blackeye:

Dunno will look at autotrader for the ones you have listed and see what I think?

Btw just got the tank back - love driving it but now there is a little after taste thats spoiling it a little.

Its easy to lose faith when things go wrong but i'd have a bit of breathing space first before doing anything rash. You were happy with it before and its big and comfy for your commute. You could be out of the frying pan into the fire with anything else...........

Its easy to lose faith when things go wrong but i'd have a bit of breathing space first before doing anything rash. You were happy with it before and its big and comfy for your commute. You could be out of the frying pan into the fire with anything else...........

Agreed I am not a not rushing to change I will lose too much cash at the moment only had it 6 months or so? But I am seriously looking at alternatives though in the meantime?

All the things that are 'known' to go wrong with them have now been replaced but this is a new one I have not heard of before. Chrysler warranty service have been great as have the local dealers who have always get me things turned around quickly so have been lucky at least with that side - Nissan better take note! But my warranty runs out in January then we are into big money on some parts? Oh well lets see.

Thanks again and please keep any other car options comming :thumbs:

Hi Stan, a friend owns a EP82 Starlet 1.3 GT and I can say it's a very quick car for what it is....not far behind the zed! :wacko: Also, if you will, consider a Glanza, one of these with a forged engine puts M3's and above to shame! My 2 cents! :blush:

Hi Stan, a friend owns a EP82 Starlet 1.3 GT and I can say it's a very quick car for what it is....not far behind the zed! :wacko: Also, if you will, consider a Glanza, one of these with a forged engine puts M3's and above to shame! My 2 cents! :blush:

Thanks will have a shuftie are we talking silly money for parts as they seem to be performance biased so to speak and expensive to run?

Come on Stan, think about it, the 350z wasnt the FIRST car to carry the Z. ;) Nothing wrong with the 200sx either. ;);)

Well its crossed my mind Mart ;) - just wonder what the running costs would be - remember I am not really too fussed about a performance car I would prefer something cheap reliable and comfy on the long trips but of course I am fussy and cant stand to become Mr Dull BMW or Merc or VAG !! :wacko:

Thanks will have a shuftie are we talking silly money for parts as they seem to be performance biased so to speak and expensive to run?

£3000-£4000 seems to be the amount to build a fully forged engine in a Glanza Stan.

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/ind ... opic=23226 A link with a few stats on the first post.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/dynamics/s ... 68&catid=6 A build thread.

In terms of fuel costs I don't think a normal 1.3 GT was much more to run than my old Saxo VTR (It was a break car..ashamed.. :blush: ). Just needs the normal Turbo maintenance love!

Hope that helps to some degree! :thumbs:

Mart oi !! No!! I would love it but it will cost a fortune to run on a weekly 700 miles and where do I get the parts off the shelf? Does Alex

Supply these too? :p

Guys I am trying to get away from the high performance side of things too much to go wrong and too expensive to buy parts just back to zed territory there as tempting as it is I can't justify the costs involved. Maybe I should tolerate a 90's Micra sport dustbin - aaaaaaaaaagggggggnhhhh What am I saying!! :lol:

No keep the ideas rolling damn I would even consider an old 90's Honda accord wedge stylie

Sorry to hear about your woes.

Interested in a Glanza?

Get down to this meet at Trafford centre

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=37285

I went to the last Glanza and co meet and there were loads in various states of tune :thumbs:

Can't make this one coz i'm at a wedding.

As for a Prelude any questions fire away.

Bought a '93 plate 2.3 in '98 with 55k.

Parted after 7yrs (to get the zed) with 130k on the clock mainly coz I had no AC (too compromising in summer)

Really comfy sports seats.

Lovely low seating position.

Mine never missed a beat......just normal wear and tear.

Even did the routine servicing myself and I'm rubbish with a spanner :surrender: