Covered Up Number Plates

SteveW

Hmm,

Might be a silly question but I don't know teh answer and if you don't know always ask!

I was at an Airfield trackday today with a mate just spectating and there were a few cars driving round with their number plates covered up with Gaffa Tape. At the end of teh day they ripped the tape off and drove home. Its not the first time I've seen it.

Just got me thinking why do we obscure our number plates when we post pictures of our cars on the net and why do people cover their number plates up at trackdays? :bangin:

Cheers

Steve

Pictures. Nothing about being cloned. More for insurance / selling the car so people can't match the plate with pics of the car on track. Cars being tracked puts off some buyers.

Pictures. Nothing about being cloned. More for insurance / selling the car so people can't match the plate with pics of the car on track. Cars being tracked puts off some buyers.

Agree with this.

A mate of mine had an OCD fetish with his fiesta and it was immaculate, he had a buyer lined up ready to go. But then the buyer saw pics of it on a track day on the internet then pulled out of the sale.

Dont really give a feck about cloning, not many quartz 370z's about to clone it to :lol:

Mine is more for advertising this place as I have show plates so all the pics have the club name in them :#1:

Hate to disagree with you guys :headhurt:

1. Insurance is not relevant-- Your policy excludes track use so if you had an accident you wouldnt be covered anyway

2. Cloning--Thats a bit silly--Go to your local supermarket car park and you can copy all the numberplates you wish--Being on track has no relevance

Having tracked cars the main reason is warranty on the vehicle. You will find that most guys that cover the plates have relatively new cars still under warranty. I know of two cases where a dealer refused warranty repairs where a car had been on track, one case a bmw and the other an audi rs4. They provided video footage of the trackday as evidence and disallowed his clain for 2.5k of brake discs

The audi owner subsequently took the dealership to court and was settled prior to the case being heard due to the fact that the car is designed as a sport model and track use was not abuse :snack:

1. Insurance is not relevant-- Your policy excludes track use so if you had an accident you wouldnt be covered anyway

Exactly my point, if you have a drive-away accident on the track they have no proof that you didn't do it on the way home.

Hate to disagree with you too! But yes its relevant, what's to stop one from having their car dragged out onto the public road and claiming it was a hit and run? :)