S2000 Knowledgeable people

rtbiscuit

As may already be aware i'm looking at getting an S2000, i'm doing my research on what to look for when i go to buy, but if anyone on here has previously owned one or knows the cars well then any info is welcome.

am already aware of the recalls for the roof on early 99 models

also aware that like the Zed the engine needs to have been well serviced and on time to maintain a good engine. so a full service history and lots of receipts are good.

will be looking at ones with the hardtops already with them, seen a few already.

also aware the the differences like the glass screen coming in on 2002 + models.

will be taking questions like this to the S2K forum,

but if anyone has any good recommendations of good forums, or people to speak to that would be great too.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother owned one and said it was bullet proof

Work colleague owns one and says the same, he is on the forum daily so if you have any questions I can ask him.

:thumbs:

VTECH Just kicked in yol :drive1

these were my thoughts

i shall need to change my sig to say that soon :lol:

S2Ki are the people to speak to Rich, there's where I got my info from when it came down to the Zed or the Stook.

i think i shall have to go and register,

Dan what were your impressions of the S2000?

and FI take the spamming to my other thread, this one actually needs to be useful :lol:

Some decent info here - viewtopic.php?f=29&t=31354

:thumbs:

I got it down to s2k and Zed too. The drive was lovely, the engine great when revving the nuts off it, very tiring when driving normally. I thought the interior was alright and not to cramped. I'm 5'9" but fairly broad and errrrm fat :blush:

Just came down to the fact that I wouldn't have been happy driving it sedately to work etc as it REALLY lacked power when not on VTEC yoooooooooooo

Just my observations.

Dan what were your impressions of the S2000?

Great engine above 6K, like a sewing machine below it. Interior is bland and vile (yes, even compared to an early 350!), seats are far too small for the *ahem* larger gent, digital dash looked ace when it came out but crap now.

On track however, it all starts to make incredible sense. Even driving a car which had crap brakes and mismatched tyres, I was barrelling into the fast hairpin on the international layout at Anglesey and holding a beautiful line/drift (depending on mood) round it with ease after just a couple of laps. A very easy car to drive fast, I'd love to know how good it would be with decent brakes and tyres. I'd buy a sheddy one for track use, but I wouldn't have one for the road as there's other cars that do what it does better for less money.

Don't get me wrong, it's really not a bad car at all and I enjoyed driving my mate's one on track more than my Zed, it's just not something I'd live with.

I owned a 2001 model for 2 years and couldn't fault it, brilliant drive and very good engine, though they do use a bit of oil. When buying check the front to rear brake pipes they are prone to corroding just above the rear subframe and are a nightmare and expensive to replace. Also check for a mis-fire from cold lots of recalls for this and leaking rocker cover gaskets.

+1 on the oil! A colleague of mine used to own one, he loved driving it and even had the top down when it was raining :lol: though he did mention that oil needs to be checked on one or two times a week and the battery kept draining itself, possible shorting somewhere along the line!

I love the s2k, narrowed my car chocies down to that and the zed last year. Only thing that made me go for the zed was better interior (s2k looked like some fake starship enterprise dash!) and the nice torque in the zed.

The engine in the 2k is lovely and I never found it hard work pootling around town and great when you opened it up on a B road. If the styling inside and out had been as good or better than the zed then I would have picked that I think :thumbs:

Happy hunting!

The 2k engine is marmite, some people love it and say V-tec is the best thing ever and so on. Others say V-tec is crap and its like driving a car with a broken turbo. Plus V-tec doesnt blow you away. Best to test drive a few and see if you like them. although about £2k worth of diy FI will get you about 400bhp :thumbs:

if i can find one with a hardtop, do you think that would be more preferable on a higher mileage car

or would most go for the lower mileage with out hardtop.

for me its something i'd like to have for the winter, or if i was going to dodgy areas, but do you think its a deal breaker?

as for looks i like the dash and the exterior.

Ah I see... :snack:

Wanna import one from Japan give me a PM and I'll point you in a general direction :D

thanks for the offer but there seems to be plenty on the UK web

some tasters:

img_20100519DZ33085_1.jpg

(2008)

img_20100520QZ25863_1.jpg

(2006)

img_20100520QZ25369_1.jpg

(2002) (wtf is with the colour...)

img_20100520QZ10089_1.jpg

:dance:

:D best of luck in the hunt for a nice one! :thumbs: