Spare Wheel - Dead weight?

Anubis

Do you keep your spare wheel in the zed?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you keep your spare wheel in the zed?

• Yes
    • No

Always wondered this; I have my spare wheel in the boot as you'd expect but I've changed to 19" Volks last year and have never thought about the Spare wheel.

I have a can of that spray glue stuff in the car at all times incase I do get a puncture.

Would putting the smaller spare one on to "limp" home in an emergency be OK (I should leave it in the boot)? Or will putting this on make the zed very one sided (due to a smaller wheel) and may end up damaging the car even more? What are your thoughts on this?

Should I take the spare wheel out since its dead weight?

At the end of the day, I know I'd look a tool driving with 3 Volks and 1 spare wheel. :p

What do you guys do?

I keep the spare in there just in case and I also run 19"s.

I don't think you would notice the car sitting at a funny angle if you did have to run it on the smaller wheel to the garage ..... I think the overall height of the smaller wheel with bigger side wall tyres would be mm difference to the 19" wheels so hardly noticeable at all ?! :shrug:

Shouldnt make too much difference as the rolling radius of the tyres is the same on your normal wheels and space saver. Obviously the handling will be odd as the standard tyre is nearly twice as wide (if a rear one), but its only meant to get you to limp home. If I were only trundling around my local town or whatnot, I would probably remove mine, but when I go to Wales/Scotland, I like to have it just in case, as I've heard stories of people waiting 4-8hrs for the recovery to get there.

id bin it tbh mine now resides in the garage and is repalced wiht tyre weld.

when i saw Ebized's 370 at the last meet i noticed they dont even come with a spare , just some tyre weld and a pump ! infatc im not evens ure they gave him a jack .

id bin it tbh mine now resides in the garage and is repalced wiht tyre weld.

when i saw Ebized's 370 at the last meet i noticed they dont even come with a spare , just some tyre weld and a pump ! infatc im not evens ure they gave him a jack .

Correct! - I do have a wheel brace though :wacko::lol:

It's the curent 'fashion' with many new cars not having a spare wheel, whether that is weight, money saving or a bit of both, its not my preference.

For my peace of mind I have a spacesaver now as anything other than a basic puncture will not not be sorted by tyre weld and a pump. And as I like to get out on roads that are often remote and often outside mobile signal range I would rather have the weight 'penalty' than wait god knows how long for a tow truck.

Although Heavy, isn't the zed's weight really well balanced?

I personally think it is.

I have also suffered a proper blowout with only about 2 inches of the tyre remaining joined. A can of tyre weld isn't gonna get you home with that!

yeah tyre shops dont like repairing tyres with tyre weld stuff in them as its very messy and its hard to completly remove it to get the bung to stick, also depending on where the punture is they may not repair it anyway

I would never, ever use that horrible tyre weld stuff. Even when I've owned cars with no spare, if I'd have had a puncture I would've called the breakdown services rather than trust/rely on that useless crap.

Tbh I wouldn't be removing the spare wheel either (unless you're replacing it with something equally heavy as an emergency, like crates of beer) unless you really want to make your car more tail-happy. Less weight over the rear tyres will cause an imbalance when pushing on or in an emergency and the two ends will want to swap over more readily.