Should I take the plunge? S2000 or 350z?

ENZed

Hi all, I've just registered on the forum after lurking around the faqs and info on this website. Situation is as follows:

currently an s2000 owner which I recently binned. Prior to buying the s2000, i was choosing between that and the 350z but opted for the s as the right deal came up. I am again deciding between the 2 cars which I look to purchase around April time to give myself plenty of time to find the 'right' car. My problem is I can't make my mind up as I like both cars but never driven a zed. Are there any zed owners who have made a switch from the s or vice versa? Which car do you prefer drivewise?

I hope not to bore people with my questions and I'm hoping for a non bias answer if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Driven both, own a Zed so you can see which way I would go.

Personally I feel that you need to drive the s2000 ont the limit to get anything decent out of it, when your on the limit in a RWD then you its easier to bin it.

Feel that I dont need to do that with the zed to still have some controlled fun!

:welcome::bounce:

As with most things, you'll end up with a biased view since we are all zed nuts here.

Never driven the S2000, but you can always book for a test drive in your local dealers - then you'll know the answer. Fuel economy is probably the same, no real problems with zeds as they are solid cars much like the S2000. Pretty much same speed too - I guess its all down to what you want and what you like. B)

I love the s2k and it was a very tough choice before I went for the Z. personally I think the manic redline style of driving the s2k made driving more of a hoot but the z was just more of an overall package. Both had the performance but the z looked and felt better inside, and looks a hell of a lot better, modern and more aggressive with the exterior styling. Also if your going from an s2k to z then the z feels a lot heavier, but the fact it has so much more torque kinda makes up for that.

I finally made my mind up when I was test driving a s2k and saw a Z, instantly I knew I would prefer to be in that car.

What's the budget? My personal preference would be a 986 Boxster if you can as it's a better car than either, but failing that it comes down to whether you like a revvy engine or a torquey one. I prefer the latter on the road so bought the Zed, however I've driven a Stook on track in anger and found it to be the better track car out of the box by some way.

Each to their own really. Personally I wouldn't go back to a car I'd already owned, but that's just me.

Budget will probably be around 12.5k. I do love the drive of the s2000, it's a fun raw car hence why I would still consider buying another. Many of my friends have voted the zed. Looks wise I'm not concerned as I like both. At the moment, I must admit I am ever so slightly swaying more towards the zed, mainly because it's a car I haven't owned and as mentioned above, is more modern and aggresive looking.

Choosing the zed then leaves me another problem. What colour to go for as I do like it in red, black and White. And is the jdm triptronic version as good as manual?

was in a simalr boat when i got my Z as others have said i think it comes down to how you liek to drive.

reaching for the readline and revving for your fun in the s2k or the more brute like toqrue of the Z.

I went Z as im lazy and its nice beable to just have the car pull and not need to drop cogs. get a test drive for definate though or youl never really know .

Budget will probably be around 12.5k. I do love the drive of the s2000, it's a fun raw car hence why I would still consider buying another. Many of my friends have voted the zed. Looks wise I'm not concerned as I like both. At the moment, I must admit I am ever so slightly swaying more towards the zed, mainly because it's a car I haven't owned and as mentioned above, is more modern and aggresive looking.

Choosing the zed then leaves me another problem. What colour to go for as I do like it in red, black and White. And is the jdm triptronic version as good as manual?

Good question, I would have said manual as its more fun when you want it, never driven the Zed as an Auto...

Zed all the way for me, also i found that s2000 were alot more from me on insurance....about double that of the zed, when i inquired why i was told that basically they are hard to get parts for and are death traps if you have an accident (both sound suprising but.... then again as i said the insurance was more then double the zed)

I'm looking for a Z now. Never driven a S2000, but had many trip in one as a passenger and felt knackered and I wasn't even driving. I've consider one as the next car too, but remember back to that and thought otherwise.

Find them very hard, unforgiving and a little cramped. Very nice build quality though and damn exciting.

Would be great as weekend car, but pop everyday grind in, I'll go for the Z everytime.

Bradders.

I love the s2k and it was a very tough choice before I went for the Z. personally I think the manic redline style of driving the s2k made driving more of a hoot but the z was just more of an overall package. Both had the performance but the z looked and felt better inside, and looks a hell of a lot better, modern and more aggressive with the exterior styling. Also if your going from an s2k to z then the z feels a lot heavier, but the fact it has so much more torque kinda makes up for that.

I finally made my mind up when I was test driving a s2k and saw a Z, instantly I knew I would prefer to be in that car.

Yep, was a difficult decision for me too, but glad I went the Z route - my brother has an S2K but is getting rid after about 10 months as its just that little bit too difficult to live with :)

Awesome cars but I find you need to be in the right mood to enjoy one. :thumbs:

Much ,much more easier to mod and get decent gains from an S2k and a supercharged one is a formidable weapon :thumbs:

A supercharged Z will also be a formidable weapon :)

:welcome:

Not driven a S2000 but it was on my list when I bought the Z, I test drove the Z first & bought it straight away :teeth:

am in similar position as you, looking to buy a zed but have options on S2000 and a monaro in fact.

all slightl different yet similar in that they are desirable cars for similar budgets.

S2000 i can get a better deal on because the zeds are fetching better money,

but, i feel the zed is a more 'masculine' car, at least in the looks department.

I also feel that with the zed you get more for your money. These are my impressions

having done as much research as possible...without actually having bought any of these cars just yet.

Test drove an S2000 before I bought my first Zed. Have to say the engine on the S2000 has to be spanked a bit to get the full potential out of it, but saying that it is a good car. There was no steering wheel pitch/rake movement on the S2000 which made it very difficult for me to drive. The Zed just ticked all the boxes for me. Take them both out for a test drive and then you will know yourself ;)

I very seriously considerd the s2000. But its just not the same, I love the curvy yet solid look of the zed and although the 2000 is a lovely car it just wasn't my style.

The thing that clinched it was when I found out one both the ops managers wanted one... but couldn't persuade the other halves.

I have not met one person who hasn't liked it. Even my parents approved!

I use to have a Integra Type R, and test drove several S2000 before i ended up with my Z....though they are both RWD 2 seater sports cars they give two different driving experiences. I have to admit i do miss the mad Honda VTEC engines, use to love sitting at 6K RPM in 2nd gear and than hitting the VTEC powerband all the up to 9K RPM :teeth: and it only now that ive changed the exhaust and put a Pop charger on the Z its starting to sound as good as a 1.8L Honda VTEC engine at 9K RPM :yahoo:

But at the same time I think its the reason why i didn't end up buying a S2000, because i was a bit fedup of having to change down every time i wanted to overtake some one , and even though right on the limit the Type R and the S2000 were both more fun and responsive than the Z, for everyday driving I wanted something more comfortable and easier to live with (basically i was been a wuss, and getting old) :yawn:

I've now had the Z for 3 years (longest i owned anycar) and still love it, been able to pull away in 2/3rd gear, been able to hear the stereo on the motorway, not having to worry about how much oil the engine has used....all those things may not sound like "fun" reasons to keep a car but they are add up, and that's why i don't see my self selling the Z for a Long time yet (well until i saved up enough for a RS4)....oh I forgot to mention every time i run into my mate with his S2000 i can still easily out drag him, whilst having my bum is been kept warm by the heated leather seats B)

I have owned two ITR-DC2's and i loved them both very much.

I like the Zed way more though because it has presence and is much more muscle than jst power.

when i had a couple of passenger in the teg it would feel very slow. it was obvious it had very little torque even though it was running around 130BHP.

In the zed i feel like i could be towing a lorry and still driving fast.

as some have said, you can't get a good answer here as were are all :wacko: about zeds :teeth: