Buying Advice - LCD TV

From A to Zed

Best buy at the moment imo is at Currys :yahoo::yahoo:

Samsung LE40B530P which was £599, reduced this week to £479 great LCD with lots of features at a good price. Only thing i noticed if you are being picky is it is only a 50hz and NOT 100hz

:thumbs:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panasonic for me too.

Have 2 Viera's, 37" on bedroom wall and 42" in living room.Had the 37" for 5 years now with no probs,cost me a small fortune compared to what they go for now.

The two 26" Vieras I bought nearly 5 years ago were 1800 each at panasonic shop..... I paid 1850 for 2 from my mate who runs an AV shop! :scare: Still bloody crazy.....

Wait for the new OLED screens to come down in price, they look very good!

Come down in price - you'll have to wait for them to even come out. It will be 2+ years before you can get a big OLED screen for anything other than silly money. They only have a 20" prototype at the mo

The Sony XEL-1 is one of the main examples at the mo.

Its one of the major advances in screen technology for the last 5 years.

Will be good once they sort proper LED backlights (oppoised to LED edge light) Being able to turn off the backlight for a specific pixel will make such a differences to the blacks

• 2 months later...

Right rather than start off a new thread I thought I'd add to this thread.

I'm looking at a 37 inch screen. I want to get my self HD'd up for films and the xbox etc. I have no idea what all the 1080p means etc etc!

Should I be looking at Plasma or LCD? Which is best and why?

I've been looking at this as it looks a decent buy:

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/sony/kdl ... -s360.html

PS: I'm a Sony whore. :D

I'm looking at a 37 inch screen. I want to get my self HD'd up for films and the xbox etc. I have no idea what all the 1080p means etc etc!

LCD

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-w-series/kdl-37w5500

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-ex-series/kdl-37ex403

Why 37? You got a certain space?

Also, you running some sort of AV amplifier? You just need to consider number and type of connections if your not.

LCD

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-w-series/kdl-37w5500

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-ex-series/kdl-37ex403

Why 37? You got a certain space?

Also, you running some sort of AV amplifier? You just need to consider number and type of connections if your not.

It neebs to be 37 as it will swamp the room otherwise.

And should I be going LCD then rather than plasma? I have a 6 year old Sony Plasma that has permanent screen burn, which puts me off plasma's.................

Thats why I answered LCD. No need to contemplate plasma. LCD/LED running costs in standby are much cheaper too..(You seen how much power Plasmas run in standby let alone on!... :wacko: )

I know you said Sony (am a sonyphile too) but I am sooo impressed with the samsung LED 7 series. Great pic, lovely looking and flat as a witches tit.

The other thing to contemplate is the colour of the bezel, a 42 in silver looks smaller than a 42 in black. Some 37" come in at about 42" with the bezel, some 42" LCD's come in at 44 with the bezel..

On the wall there isnt that much visable difference depending on viewing distance. When I have fitted for other people one of the easy tests is to cut out a piece of carboard to the dimensions of the tv your considering and put it on the wall, just make sure you space it out the distance from the wall too! The flatter to the wall the tv is the less imposing it is.

And should I be going LCD then rather than plasma? I have a 6 year old Sony Plasma that has permanent screen burn, which puts me off plasma's.................

No longer an issue on todays plasma's. Been known to be an issue on lcd's too by the way. :) I would go plasma but at the size you want i think you will have more choice with LCD.

Ok, I'm not buying a Samsung. I'm sure they are great but my brand snobbery will not allow it. :lol:

I'm after a 37" LCD Sony like this one, this one seem the most expensive of the sony 37" TV's:

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/sony/pac ... 20141.html

I'll be upgrading my sky to HD and will be getting a blue ray player too. What spec do I need the TV to be to ensure optimum picture quality?

Whats the 24p playback?

Is there anything in the pipeline worth waiting for technology wise?

I was always told - lcd's up to 32" anything bigger then get a plasma. Was also told plasmas are better for watching sports and playing games. But like people are saying go into a brand name shop, look at the plasmas and lcd or led tv's next to each other and you will notice the lcd's are bright and colourful, the plasmas are a little duller but have a sharper/smoother picture. But then again again i've also heard lcd's are catching up with plasmas and you'll end up seeing the plasmas fade out.

Down the pipeline sarnie is 3d tv, which i think the man u arsenal game today is being shown in 3d in selected pubs. i was going to say this anyway but stay clear of 200Hz tv's my ex bought her dad one and it just looks terrible, you can turn it down but it still doesnt look the same. plus 3d tv isnt compatible with 200Hz tv's. you'll see sky bring out some 3d channels this year. I could be totally wrong but i think 24p means 24fps? which is what movies are actually shot at? so you watch movies as they are ment to be seen? :wacko: thats off the top of my head, better googling it. Also if your wanting to get the best out of blu rays then get a tv with 1080p. Which reminds me sarnie, you do know that Sharp, Samsung and LG or a combination of 2 manufacture most lcd screens? So your tv might say Sony on the front, but on the inside it could be a Sharp. Fair enough Sony do make a few screens and some are Sony/Samsung. But still you never know!

I was always told - lcd's up to 32" anything bigger then get a plasma. Was also told plasmas are better for watching sports and playing games. But like people are saying go into a brand name shop, look at the plasmas and lcd or led tv's next to each other and you will notice the lcd's are bright and colourful, the plasmas are a little duller but have a sharper/smoother picture. But then again again i've also heard lcd's are catching up with plasmas and you'll end up seeing the plasmas fade out.

Down the pipeline sarnie is 3d tv, which i think the man u arsenal game today is being shown in 3d in selected pubs. i was going to say this anyway but stay clear of 200Hz tv's my ex bought her dad one and it just looks terrible, you can turn it down but it still doesnt look the same. plus 3d tv isnt compatible with 200Hz tv's. you'll see sky bring out some 3d channels this year. I could be totally wrong but i think 24p means 24fps? which is what movies are actually shot at? so you watch movies as they are ment to be seen? :wacko: thats off the top of my head, better googling it. Also if your wanting to get the best out of blu rays then get a tv with 1080p. Which reminds me sarnie, you do know that Sharp, Samsung and LG or a combination of 2 manufacture most lcd screens? So your tv might say Sony on the front, but on the inside it could be a Sharp. Fair enough Sony do make a few screens and some are Sony/Samsung. But still you never know!

Cheers for that :thumbs:

I hear what your saying about the screens, but as long as it says sony on the front, I'm happy. :lol:

I think I might get the TV I put up in the link above......I watch hours and hours of sport a week and want to make sure I get the best for that and games, so I'm still not 100% convinced on the old LCD/Plasma debate......hmmm :blush:

Ok, I'm not buying a Samsung. I'm sure they are great but my brand snobbery will not allow it. :lol:

I'm after a 37" LCD Sony like this one, this one seem the most expensive of the sony 37" TV's:

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/sony/pac ... 20141.html

I'll be upgrading my sky to HD and will be getting a blue ray player too. What spec do I need the TV to be to ensure optimum picture quality?

Whats the 24p playback?

Is there anything in the pipeline worth waiting for technology wise?

Thats spot on for what your after mate, ive got the 40" version with surround sound, ps3 and sky hd all connected. B)

oh and its definately all about Sony :lol:

You are over rating Sony. Would not be on my list if i was choosing a new tv. :) Lets face it only about 3 company's make all the screens for all the different brands anyway. ;) Panasonic all the way for me. B)

I never said Sony were the best, just that I like to buy Sony. :)

You are over rating Sony. Would not be on my list if i was choosing a new tv. :) Lets face it only about 3 company's make all the screens for all the different brands anyway. ;) Panasonic all the way for me. B)

I never said Sony were the best, just that I like to buy Sony. :)

All i am saying that if its has to say Sony on the front like you said then you are seriously ommitting some very fine tv's out there. So dont get too hung up on the Sony brand thats all. :) And just another point iirc Sony no longer make plasma's ;)

Take a look here. :thumbs:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/3 ... egory.html

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/3 ... egory.html

You may know the naming convention already Sarnie, but if not it hasn't been posted already and you should understand the differences between all the models :-

V series is 50Hz, whereas W series 100Hz ( Z series is 200Hz but they don't do a 37" model )

5810 means it comes with FreeSat which you may not need if you use Sky, or cable.

So the most expensive that you linked to was the V5810, but if you don't need FreeSat then the W5500 is better because of the 100Hz.

HTH

Gus

Don't bother looking at plasma's used to be that plasma was better if you went over 32" not so anymore, unless you're looking at very large screens. which you ain't.

I'd go LG or Samsung re quality, cost. DONT listen to a sales guy if he's trying to sell you the 'new' LED technology, scam IMO.

Look at what inputs you might need to be using. Make sure it's at least 100Hz and 1080p. You'll need to get at least 37" if you want to get true 1080P without using software to display it on a smaller screen. Also you might want to research what viewing distance the TVs are supposed to be at.

The '2-to-5' Principle

Blue bullet

For optimum TV viewing distance, the nearest seating position should be limited to approximately twice the screen width while the furthest seating position should be no more than five times the width of your screen.

:evil:

You may know the naming convention already Sarnie, but if not it hasn't been posted already and you should understand the differences between all the models :-

V series is 50Hz, whereas W series 100Hz ( Z series is 200Hz but they don't do a 37" model )

5810 means it comes with FreeSat which you may not need if you use Sky, or cable.

So the most expensive that you linked to was the V5810, but if you don't need FreeSat then the W5500 is better because of the 100Hz.

HTH

Gus

Hello stranger! :D

Thanks for that, exactly the sort of info I was looking for :thumbs:

Your right, I don't need freesat and I do want 100hz+ so W series it is...........

Cheers!!