20 year old hopeful!

martybhoy

Hey guys the times closing in on the start of my zed ownership time.

I have been doing a good bit of quoting and so far the best is,

with;

20 years old

Been a name driver for 2 years

1 claim (not at fault)

it comes to £2300, with admiral and elephant not to much behind it

Some people are saying thats a bit much but my friend gave me a shot of his (now got a gtr) n i fell in love with it so my response has been honestly its worth it. :thumbs:

Have you guys heard of anyone else same circumstances getting anywhere cheaper?

thanks guys

£2300?!?! I wouldn't even bother owning a Zed if the insurance is that much, it's a great car but that's just stupid.

+1, i'd never bother with a car if i couldn't get the insurance under £1000,

sorry, just my point of view :blush:

Me too im afraid :blush: but if you can afford to do it then why not :p

My top priority in my early twenties was the property ladder...so that sort of money for insurance would have been a bit steep for me :thumbs:

Iv just tried bell!

it actually works out slightly dearer than admiral and elephant,

quite gutting!

I know what yous mean when you say it is ridiculous, it really is, but motoring being my real hobby its not as if id spend it on much else lol n you gotta treat yourself sometimes right?

still on the search though for cheaper insurance,

feel free to give any other recommendations i might be able to get a good deal with.

Got my Zed when i was 20, and cant remember what i paid, but was with admiral, they have allways given me great quotes, how-ever now 23, and am insured with sky insurance, as they cover all my mods like for like, one thing to consider bud, if your going into the modding game :thumbs: , i pay £1400 with sky for the zed, all declared as well as the mg zr i have, both fully comp. :teeth:

£2300?!?! I wouldn't even bother owning a Zed if the insurance is that much, it's a great car but that's just stupid.

+1, i'd never bother with a car if i couldn't get the insurance under £1000,

sorry, just my point of view :blush:

2500!!!! :scare: +1 me either.

i got my zed just after my 21st birthday and paid 650 GBP 4 YNCB im now 22 and pay 750 5YNCB (inflation recession to blame for increase so they say anyway) and im with admiral.

i cant justify paying much more than a 1000 for insurance its crazy :wacko: you aint never going to see that money again. my advice would be to wait until un insurance quote comes down and save that 2500 that you would spend on insurance for it and spend it on buying the zed at a later date.

not only will you have the price of the zed but you paying 2500 for insurance uv got servicing costs running costs and tax and mot it all mounts up.

my advice is to save ur money and wait. :thumbs:

Without sounding rude, i struggle slightly when i see people at 20 getting into something like the Zed, i worked my way up the car ladder if you like and built my experience of cars up with the cars that i've had. and the majority of them (except my first ) have all been drivers cars. i kind of feel i've earned the Zed, and feel a bit miffed when i see people jump from a 1.2 corsa to a zed etc. the high premiums are there to deliberately put people off, as generally the sub 25 category are the most likely to crash, and hence push up all our premiums.

I'm not saying you have to earn your Zed, and fair play to the many on here who did get one at 20/21 etc, if you can afford to do it then go for it at the end of the day its your money, and you earned it and you can spend it one what ever you like. but for me its a lot of money to spend on insurance when you could get something with a slightly smaller engine and have a shed load left to spend on modding, for like the next 3 years. as your insurance won't drop anywhere close to a grand for at least 3 years. you could easily spend £5000 over 3 years just in insurance.

if you want some worthy alternative car suggestions i think alot of us could think of some equally driver focussed cars that wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

( know i'm going to get slated for this post, but its my personal view, and if you do get one, then i'd be more than happy to help you out with modding suggestions or anything else you'd need on the forum)

Good luck with what ever you do, and good car hunting (i always think thats one of the best bits ;) )

( know i'm going to get slated for this post, but its my personal view, and if you do get one, then i'd be more than happy to help you out with modding suggestions or anything else you'd need on the forum)

Probably :p

I have had my Z since I was 22 & I have never paid more than £900 a year to insure it. I have only ever once paid more than £1k for insurance & that was my first year on my own insurance.

I went from a 1.4>1.8>Z (slightly different than a 1.2 corsa I know) but a decent enough jump within 3 years ;)

Why should you feel miffed when you see someone young in a Z or upgrade from a carppy car? Just because they drove a corsa before does not make them any more of a risk IMO

Why should you feel miffed when you see someone young in a Z or upgrade from a carppy car? Just because they drove a corsa before does not make them any more of a risk IMO

miffed is probably the wrong word to use, a bit strong in its term, i suppose when i was twenty i didn't have a lot of cash, and i've worked hard

as for going from a low engine power into big engine power of course it makes them more of a risk, its like swapping a pistol for a ak47 both are dangerous, but your a hell of a lot more likely to do damage with an AK47.

i'm not saying that coming from lower powered cars means your less experienced, just not a used to the power, and more likely not as used to RWD, generally inexperienced/young drivers and big power cars are a higher risk for a reason, insurance companies don't weight their premiums that way just for fun.

miffed is probably the wrong word to use, a bit strong in its term, i suppose when i was twenty i didn't have a lot of cash, and i've worked hard

Thats because you went to Uni? being a teacher I assume/hope you did :lol:

I've been working since i was 16, which is how I can afford the stuff I buy & I would guess that a few of the other younger members are the same :)

Thats because you went to Uni? being a teacher I assume/hope you did :lol:

I've been working since i was 16, which is how I can afford the stuff I buy & I would guess that a few of the other younger members are the same :)

true, i was at uni, had 2 jobs as well to help pay for the alchol :lol:

but i still remember seeing other students with big powerful cars, and they never worked either :wacko: i was born into the wrong family obviously :blush:

like i said before if pees can afford it, its their money and can spend it on what they like; remember i'm not your dad :lol:

I agree with alot that zbiscuit has said....and fair play if you can afford it. I am amazed that someone at 21 can even think about affording a car that i can only just afford at 29. Although i did spend seven years (Msc cost alot) at uni and that takes a while to pay back, even worse i went later than most people...

If you can afford then go for it...but a question you may like to ask your self is 'what i am missing out on just to afford a car like this'? biscuit is correct there are many cars which are very nice to drive...I drove a Mk 3 Golf Gti for years that i rebuilt just to afford that..

my first was a rover 214, cant really call it a performace car, but it got me from A to B ( i played with it, and it was a laugh to drive)

- then 306 gti6 (awesome car, would p1$$ on a lot of cars, was a bit of a stealth car weighed nothing, had a cracking 6speed box(one of the first cars to have one))

- mr2 roadster (played around with that, great car, superb handling, and bloody quick for what it was) i know several who have turbo'ed them or even done a V6 conversion, (turbo for £2500, V6 conversion for £4500, all for a car that you can now buy for £4000)

- had to go diesel for a bit and had the 2.2 new style civic type S gt (was a type R with a diesel engine same setup etc, and loads of torque)

possibles to look at:

- mx5 (i know its a bit girly but drive one, and you'll be impressed, and the turbo or supercharger conversion that you can get is unbeliavable)

- clio cup 182 (insane track car, would shame alot of other bigger cars)

- bmw mini cooper S (go for the slightly older version with the supercharger not the turbo, cracking fun to drive handles like its on rails)

- alfa GTV (they did a V6 still not a cheap car to insure, but cheap to buy, and the interiors are stunning, the engine especially the V6 sings)

- MR2 roadster (so easy to tune, with some fairly cheap chassis mods as well you can start pushing elise handling performance territory, plus you can drop the top,)

what most have in common is they are light, look at the power to weights and you can easily get a drivers car. i've owned one on that list and driven the others, and all have brought a regualr smile to my face. the MR2 in particular had me regularly beaming from ear to ear.

i'm sure others could add to it, i've run short of ideas at such short notice, but if you want me to i can add to it

or i can just shut up and you can buy a zed :blush:

as your insurance won't drop anywhere close to a grand for at least 3 years. /quote]

Not always, Im 20 and pay 1100, next year it will fall to about 900.

Insurance is a postcode lottery mate. When i was 23, the cheapest quote i could get was £3600, and i had to wait till i was 24 for it to drop to £2550. And then i bought the car. (apologies to everyone, i must have posted this fact 5 times in the last few weeks - i wish people would use the damn search button!!!!)

See, i SERIOUSLY wanted a zed - there was nothing else that would have done for me... and i was happy to pay the £2550 insurance. In fact, it made the car seem even more special the fact that there was this 'ownership tax' so to speak. In total in my first year of ownership, with my loan, insurance, and petrol (70miles a day) i was paying out close to £900 A MONTH just to keep it on the road, excluding tax/maintenance, and mods ;)

2 years on and would i pay that now...? No - i've grown up, and im kicking myself for wasting all that money - but in your early 20's you dont give a sh!t about the future... you're just bothered about impressing chicks and your mates, and what better way than to do it than with a zed, right?

One thing i will say though, is if you're buying a zed, but are still living at home off your parents, then thats not cool :thumbdown: Get saving for your own place!

Give the lad a chance.

We have to accept that our Z's are not the expensive toy they were when most of you bought them. You can now buy an import for £7k-ish, perhaps less. This is less than the price of a new Punto (for example) which is what my son had at that age (to keep his insurance costs down).

He now drives a 300zxtt and went through the insurance mangle because of his age. I now have him insured for my Z as well as he is now over 25 and the relative cost is pnuts.

The biggest problem as I see it is driving experience. My manner of driving and his are totally different. He drives as I used to at his age but I do notice that as he matures his driving 'improves'. Most young men have quick reactions but lack experience, hence they do not perceive what may be round the corner, they rely on their reactions to get them out of the poo therefore in many cases they over-react thus getting further into it and lack the experience then to get out of it, bearing in mind that they shouldn't have got in it in the first place.

Insurance companies load their policies accordingly. We all know that the biggest problem on our roads is the young male driver, we just don't want to pay the premium.

Having vented all that the 350z is awfully powerful and this lack of experience in younger drivers will tell out (especially in the coming winter months).

Finally if it's your dream go for it.

Pass Plus will reduce a premium as will a parent as a named driver.

In these coming winter months spend a little money and attend your local Institute of Advanced Motorists Club. The wealth of knowledge you will gain from this will serve you well for the rest of your motoring life.