Whats wrong with Car salesmen??

CFC109

Ok! Thats a broad question, but specifically....

My pet hate is being harrassed when 'browsing', investigative shopping i call it. Whether it be a car or anything else.

But what is wrong with Car salespeople at the moment!??! Are they not on commission anymore? I have spent the last 2 weeks wondering round a few Nissan dealers, mixed dealers and even a couple of car supermarkets (just to remind me what was out there) as my first steps towards buying a car. (Having heard i am going to lose my company car in 10 weeks (Its been on the cards, it was no shock)) and i havent been approached by a single person! Worse, i have even tried to question a couple and have been given the impression they are completely uninterested!

It amazes me, when so much money is up for grabs that they are not falling over themselves to help! It certainly seems different from when i bought my first car 10 years ago (and my second, and my third!)

think i just wanted to get that off my chest really... :rant:

My girlfriend recently bought a new car and we said the same thing. It was crazy how they blanked us completely. I think two people said hello and that was about it.

I was in enquiring about the 370Z and said to the salesman 'Are you the man I speak to for into on this one then?' he replyed 'ehhhhhhh suppose so....' very uninterestedly.

It did cross my mind that 'good' sales people might have felt the credit crunch pinch (down turn in commission) and moved on to other jobs...

A friend of mine just bought an '08 TT and said exactly the same, having been round several different manufacturers offering spend up to 26k and got no interest either! Happy to let him go to other dealers... On two occasions was told someone would call him back. No one did.

Oh don't even get me started............ :rant:

A while back I looked at Alfas- don't laugh - had booked test drive making it clear that wasn't interested in the demo car just trying the diesel (again don't laugh) got there and was refused test drive as the salesman reckoned "Alfa wouldn't want someone test driving a car they weren't going to buy"

I was livid -phoned sales manager next day - he wasn't impressed apologised profusley and organised a test drive ..... then I didn't like the driving position :lol:

Indeed, now that you mention it I've noticed it too. Visited quite a lot of garages, and the most active person I saw said hello from behind his desk but didn't even bother standing up to accost me. Funny indeed, as when I bought the current shed, the salesman pursued me when I was leaving, knocking off £500 ever few steps - knocked off £3000 by the time I reached the exit. :lol:

I was in a Porsche dealership yesterday, in my suit, spent 30 mins slowly walking around, getting in a few, opening the boot etc. The salesmen never got up from their desk. I even walked inside the dealership, past their desk and not one of them got up, spoke to me or even acknowledged me. I felt that to buy one I'd have to get £90k out and shove wads of cash down the salesmans throat just to get his attentions!!! :dry:

I know the purchase price of the cars are astronomical but the Lambo dealer by me is in a different league to any other I've experienced. They call you sir, get you cups of tea, phone you when they say they are going to phone you, nothing is too much hassle and treat you like a normal person. A few of the staff there have even added me on facebook!! lol I even met the sales manager at V-Festival last year and got pi**ed with him :D

Me and the missus are planning on visiting the local Subaru & Mitsi dealerships this weekend with a view to getting either an STi or an Evo: Given that we'll be turning up in the loud Zed, and that I will have shaved my head again by then and she's only 21, I wonder how seriously we'll be taken? Any bets? :thumbdown:

Best treatment I ever got was test driving an M3 about 4 years ago. Despite turning up in shorts and tee-shirt, they still treated me with respect and had I liked the car I'd have happily bought from there. Far better than the Porker dealership across the road.

Me and the missus are planning on visiting the local Subaru & Mitsi dealerships this weekend with a view to getting either an STi or an Evo: Given that we'll be turning up in the loud Zed, and that I will have shaved my head again by then and she's only 21, I wonder how seriously we'll be taken? Any bets? :thumbdown:

Best treatment I ever got was test driving an M3 about 4 years ago. Despite turning up in shorts and tee-shirt, they still treated me with respect and had I liked the car I'd have happily bought from there. Far better than the Porker dealership across the road.

In my experience the cheaper the car, the worse treatment I've recieved. I never once went to the Lambo dealership in anything other than shorts and flip flops, but the service was always the same.........

i have found it depends on the brand and the dealer ship. some garages are good some are bad, small family businesses tend to be good, more welcoming, (not always), my experiences so far in the last 10 years.

BMW - excellent customer services, been to several always a pleasure

Audi - never made me feel good, always felt like i wasn't up to the brand standard (helpful, but while still looking down there nose)

Nissan - mixed bag - depends on the dealer ship, most don't know there prestige cars, but could probably sell you a really good deal on a micra

VW - varies on the garage, but most have been good felt welcome stowmarket, i now feel like part of the family after buying my wifes car there

Toyota - always had good customer care there especially chelmsford

Honda - another VW style garage, generally good, know there cars and helpful - best one was the one in stoke - think there nissan branch is on here

Mini - generally good, but do like to pester on the after visit phone calls

others i haven't tried

biggest thing i've found is how i turn up to them, its like the good old days of visiting the bank manager, dress smart and you normally get a good treatment. car dealers think they can smell money, so if you dress the part they tend to be good. i once blagged a z4m coupe for a weekend once. and i had a mate who got an M3 for the weekend.

i have found it depends on the brand and the dealer ship. some garages are good some are bad, small family businesses tend to be good, more welcoming, (not always), my experiences so far in the last 10 years.

BMW - excellent customer services, been to several always a pleasure

Audi - never made me feel good, always felt like i wasn't up to the brand standard (helpful, but while still looking down there nose)

Nissan - mixed bag - depends on the dealer ship, most don't know there prestige cars, but could probably sell you a really good deal on a micra

VW - varies on the garage, but most have been good felt welcome stowmarket, i now feel like part of the family after buying my wifes car there

Toyota - always had good customer care there especially chelmsford

Honda - another VW style garage, generally good, know there cars and helpful - best one was the one in stoke - think there nissan branch is on here

Mini - generally good, but do like to pester on the after visit phone calls

others i haven't tried

biggest thing i've found is how i turn up to them, its like the good old days of visiting the bank manager, dress smart and you normally get a good treatment. car dealers think they can smell money, so if you dress the part they tend to be good. i once blagged a z4m coupe for a weekend once. and i had a mate who got an M3 for the weekend.

My dad was looking to purchase a brand spanking 745i a few years ago. Went in one day in his jeans and T shirt. Nobody came near him. Went in after a meeting in a suit and they were all over him.

The same thing happened to his ex business partner in a Mercedes Dealership. Was looking at an S Class I think. He wasn't one to hold his tongue so had a rant at them about having the same amount of money as three days previously. Walked out and refused to go back. Never did buy an S Class either..... :lol:

In Aberdeen that is a VERY silly attitude as guys walking into a car dealership mid week in jeans probably have plenty of money up here.

As a barman (student) making bugger all money I used to wear a tie to work and I was always immaculate. It didn't mean I could afford to buy anything.... :doh:

You take me as I am I'm afraid and they can poke it if they expect me to dress up to look at cars! :lol::lol:

Wow! I have been asking myself the same question! I have phoned up 3 Nissan Performance centres requesting a trade-in value of my old car against the 370z and at a push I could easily be sold a GTR. Of the three, one centre I have been in twice - TWICE! (Oxford) and not been offered a test drive and have not received call backs. Another in Cambs I have called them more than once over the last couple of months expressing an interest - and this is from a dealer I have bought 2 NEW 350zs over the past couple of years and still no chase up! The third dealer in Watford, who I have never had dealings with before, yet alone visited their dealership, has given me a trade-in value of my current 350z and has left me voicemails - me being in Egypt over the last week has stopped him from getting hold of me - so I know where i'll be buying my next car from:-)

a skoda dealership was the best i ever had, i didnt purchase a year extended warranty with the car but tbh i didnt need to, every problem i ever had they fixed for free, i used to take tyres i'd bought off of the net and they'd fit them for free aswell :D

nissan = good

toyota = rubbish but was an arnold shark

ford = terrible, lied etc.

i get ignored all the time in car dealerships, i always go in with baggy ripped jeans with student style t-shrt or hoody on and skate style shoes. they blank me completely. before i bought the zed i was seriously considering a new focus RS but after the ignorant salesman i could suffer ford no longer. :thumbdown:

Oh I don't know, mate. I reckon you fit the bill for a scooby driver :p;)

Went shopping a few years back with a family member during the week. Walked into a large Rover dealership here (no it wasn't me buying it, I wouldn't buy a Rover :lol: ), in casual attire, walked around the forecourt and inside the showroom for about half an hour, finally someone lowered themselves to come over then to be told, oh no, you probably couldn't afford it, it's the top of the range (Rovers are a bit more pricey here). Pity, as said family member had the readies to pay for the car outright. So went down the road purchased another brand of car brand new bang on the nail, and drove home.

Anyone from a sales background, knows that you never, ever judge a book by it's cover. :doh:

I've been doing this over the last couple of months and have come up with pretty much the same response. Audi ignored me in the showroom (wearing a suit), when I eventually arranged a test drive they made me wait an hour (well they would have done if I hadn't stormed off down to BMW) and after taking out a manual 7 weeks ago I'm still waiting on the call for my test drive in a DSG... :yawn:

Mercedes were no better - they couldn't even be bothered to take my number to call me back.

Jaguar were very good, attentive (some might say desperate), friendly and even a little letter from the manager a couple of days later to thank me for my interest. However, they let themselves down when I sent them an e-mail and didn't get a response for 5 days - I'd bought something else by then.

Nissan in Oldham seemed very interested for a while and even called just to tell me that they hadn't forgotten about me and were just waiting for their 370Z demo for me to drive......then promptly forgot about me and I never heard anything more!

My local BMW dealers were crap and ignored me too but I went further afield and got great service from Halliwell Jones in Southport, the salesman even driving over to my house on a p1ss wet Friday night at 7pm to give me a test drive. Liked the car, liked the deal and liked the service - sold.

Basically, there are too many crap "salesmen" in this country (not just car salesmen) who in good times just waited for sales to come to them and haven't upped their game (or don't know how to) in the current climate. They sit there moaning about how hard it is out there but put no effort in to make sales. They deserve to lose their jobs...

i was talking to some of the guys i used to work with in currys and they were saying that they have been told if they dont up thier game and have the figures to support they would be disciplined then sacked :scare: so glad i dont work in sales anymore. there is no excuse for being crap, its not a difficult job tbh i did it for various things for 6 years and never had a problem and was always complimented.

My local BMW dealers were crap and ignored me too but I went further afield and got great service from Halliwell Jones in Southport, the salesman even driving over to my house on a p1ss wet Friday night at 7pm to give me a test drive. Liked the car, liked the deal and liked the service - sold.

The saleman wasn't Kev946 was it???? :lol::lol:

Its not just the sales side. When i was looking for a service a couple of the Nissan garages just didn't bother ringing me back. They must have soo much business they can't fit me in...hmm I think not.

Ended up going to the closest dealer and they have been a complete contrast, trying to get my custom, offering deals i.e. free brake fluid change etc. When i ring they ring back etc.

My brother recently found similar when looking to buy an Audi. Really liked the look of the A3 but wanted one of the sport models (can't remember exactly) when in the showroom the guy said "Oh we don't hold any of them here for test drives, go to VW and test drive thier Golf xxx" to which my brother replied " So if I like the Golf why would I spend 4K on the Audi when i can't even test drive it" and walked out.

BMW on the other hand were great with him from walking in the showroom door...result...he bought a 1 Series.

In my hunt for a Z I am having similar issues.

One dealer (not nissan) has loads of them advertised all over the web, autotrader, pistonheads, ebay and their own site. When I ring them up they actually only have one in stock, when I ask if I come come and have a look and maybe a test drive I'm told they are far too busy on a Saturday to arrange a test drive and I can't test drive a car unless I am about to buy it. I then asked them if they are likely to get anymore in and they basically said because they sold 15 cars a week (is that a lot?) They couldn't possibly know what they were going to have in next, and by all accounts told to leave them alone.

WTF? I wouldn't buy a car from them now even if they had the best bargain I had ever seen, just not a smart way to do buisness.

Nissan dealer also didn't ring me back as promised.

The one salesman who has really been helpful is now actually much more likely to get a sale out of me...

Well, so far both Mitsi and Subaru have been immensely helpful and positive on the phone, calling me back when they said they would and getting things sorted. Let's see how good they are on Saturday after a couple of back-to-back test drives.

In my hunt for a Z I am having similar issues.

One dealer (not nissan) has loads of them advertised all over the web, autotrader, pistonheads, ebay and their own site. When I ring them up they actually only have one in stock, when I ask if I come come and have a look and maybe a test drive I'm told they are far too busy on a Saturday to arrange a test drive and I can't test drive a car unless I am about to buy it. I then asked them if they are likely to get anymore in and they basically said because they sold 15 cars a week (is that a lot?) They couldn't possibly know what they were going to have in next, and by all accounts told to leave them alone.

WTF? I wouldn't buy a car from them now even if they had the best bargain I had ever seen, just not a smart way to do buisness.

Nissan dealer also didn't ring me back as promised.

The one salesman who has really been helpful is now actually much more likely to get a sale out of me...

S2000 by any chance?! If so........STEER WELL CLEAR :scare: